Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As 2003 comes to an end, MacRumors has seen significant growth and continued success.

The site has always meant to provide an easy method to track and report interesting Mac News and Rumor items, and I feel it continues to succeed at this basic task.

2003 brought a few complementary side-projects (DailyTunes.com and MacBytes.com) as well as the emergence of MacRumors Page 2 and the MacRumors Buyer's Guide.

Some hilights from 2003:
Rumors

Small and Big... New Laptops? -> 12" and 17" PowerBooks (Jan, 2003)
New Apple Music Service? -> iTunes Music Store (Feb, 2003)
New iPod design sketch -> 3rd Gen iPods(April, 2003)
Communicating Device -> iSight (April, 2003)
New iPod Peripherals? -> Mic and Media Reader (Aug 2003)

Leaks

Panther Screenshots - Exposé revealed (June 2003)
Apple Leaks PowerMac G5 Specs - Oops! (June 2003)
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Details (Sept, 2003)

Apple Legal Gets Involved

iSync Story Pulled (May 2003)
???? at WWDC? (June 2003)
Apple Internal Knowledgebase Docs (Sept 2003)

Major Releases

Keynote, Safari (Jan 2003)
12" and 17" PowerBooks (Jan 2003)
20" Cinema Display (Jan 2003)
iTunes Music Store (Apr 2003)
PowerMac G5 (June 2003)
Apple iSight (June 2003)
Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (Sept 2003)
iTunes Music Store for Windows (Oct 2003)
G4 iBooks (Oct 2003)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) (Oct 2003)
20" iMac (Nov 2003)
The next couple of weeks will bring the "ultimate" event for the avid Mac-news/rumor follower... a MacWorld Expo Keynote event. Readers should remember that last year's MacWorld San Francisco keynote brought the us 12" and 17" PowerBooks, Safari, Keynote, and iApp updates.

2004 should bring more exciting news and rumors about Apple, as well as steady improvements to MacRumors.com itself.

crazylb1

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Boulder
You know what stinks, not being able to see the keynote because I'll be flying back to school, shhh noone tell me what happens

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
I think I speak for everyone here when I give a BIG THANKS for a job well done. It takes alot of work to run a website like this. Arn and everyone have done a great job
KUDOS!!!

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by bennyek
I think I speak for everyone here when I give a BIG THANKS for a job well done. It takes alot of work to run a website like this. Arn and everyone have done a great job
KUDOS!!!

Thanks bennyek, now I don't have to say thanks, because you already spoke for me...:D

I'd still like to say thank you to Arn and everyone behind the scenes though. You obviously put a tremendous amount of time into this site. Keep up the great work.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I just wanted to throw in my genuine thanks and sincere appreciation as well. This site has been a staple of mine for the past 6 months, and helped greatly in the purchase of my first Mac. I visit it daily, enjoy reading the posts, and most of all, enjoy interacting with the many interesting members. Here's to 2004 and another amazing year! I'll be following MacRumors all the way. :cool:

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
My favorite mac site (take that Apple.com!)

Keep up the good work, I visit you guys many time a day.

jero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2003
this is the site that i gathered most of my information which lead to me finally making the big switch. big ups to macrumors.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Wow....

This, indeed, has been a great year here at MR. I hope for an even better, more eventful and exciting rumor year to come. MR has such a great community. Way to go Arn!!!

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Re: Looks like you left one out...

Congrats on a great year, arn (and everyone in the Mac Rumors community). MR had some fantastic reporting (as I recall, this was the first site to predict the 12 and 17 inch Powerbooks last January).

I'm sure there are still many rumors to come before the Stevenote. ;)

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Hey, you didn't mention "New PowerBooks on Tuesday."
I don't know, my favorite was the "New iPods Next Tuesday. No wait, NEXT Tuesday (I swear, next Tuesday)" thing that went from February to April. :D

pmj

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2003
Newfoundland, Canada
thanks!

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster, and very recent (2 weeks ago! :)) switcher, bought my first mac, a 12" PB G4!

Anyway, thanks for all the great rumors, and hopefully 2004 is even better!

edit: spelling

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Re: Re: Looks like you left one out...

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Congrats on a great year, arn (and everyone in the Mac Rumors community).

YES! arn, excellent work... and it wouldn't be as good a site without the community behind it. awesome mac year last year, happy new mac year to everyone! :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by pbrennen
what was the big announcement of the january macworld of 2002?

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/01/20020107154105.shtml

The LCD iMac was introduced. It was a CRT before this. Time Canada actually leaked the photo of the LCD iMac the night before. (also 14" ibooks and iphoto... see link)

Apple also hyped significantly that MacWorld with teasers on their Apple.com site in the days before the keynote:

Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away.
Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond.
It's like a backstage pass to the future

there were more...

arn

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Looks like you left one out...

Originally posted by pyrotoaster

I don't know, my favorite was the "New iPods Next Tuesday. No wait, NEXT Tuesday (I swear, next Tuesday)" thing that went from February to April. :D

I would say the iPod every Tuesday was the most annoying rumor of the year too. Like you said, it was basically every Tuesday for over 2 months.

Thank you Arn, for this wonderful site. It is a pleasure spending so much time here.

P.S. Last year, there was a Rumor Rejects and Unconfirmed list for the year, which gave about 6 pretty outlandish rumors that were never published. It looks like 3 of the 6 came true this year (Keynote, iTMS, and FireWire 800). But with the advent of Page 2, will we not be seeing such a report this year?

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
This is, bar none, my favorite Mac-related website suite, from MacRumors to Page 2 to Mac News Bytes to the forums. It's all great. Thanks a bunch.

And everyone else ought to contribute a little $! I use this site more than most any other software title I own, and I've paid a lot for some of those.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by jero
this is the site that i gathered most of my information which lead to me finally making the big switch. big ups to macrumors.

Same here Congrats on another year of stuff that dreams are made of LOL HERE'S TOO 04 been better bigger brighter and bugger me i have nothing more to say lol

Sailfish

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
MacRumors does a good job of providing different things for us Mac users to return to this site for.

Keep up the good work.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Great job, arn. Best Mac site anywhere, hands down (or up).

I loved "Apple Leaks PowerMac G5 Specs", especially hearing that people showed up at the keynote with the leaked specs on their T-shirts. :)

May 2004 bring us all lots more Macintosh surprises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.