Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steventsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm proud to announce that I've been working with Lucas Newman and Adam Betts to bring their [in]famous Lights Off application to iPhoneOS 2.0 and the App Store.

We're still working on killer ideas and a new UI, but the core game (the original version) has been reengineered already.

I'm looking for a little feedback from you fine MacRumorese about what you would like to see in the new game, and what you'd prefer not to see (if so takes your fancy). The current plan is as pictured below:

Please do keep track of my personal blog (http://steventroughtonsmith.blogspot.com) for updates and for submitting feedback, and check out some of the gameplay videos and UI sneak peek previews already posted.

Expect to see the new, improved Lights Off in the App Store later this year for the planned price of $2.99.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• Picture 115.png
    Picture 115.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 218

steventsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
great game, looking forward to it. and good price as well (although free would be better :D )

Free is always better, but unfortunately won't pay for awesome artists and development costs :) I think a low price can ensure some great updates in the future, and still beat the socks off of other similar apps on the store for value for money :D

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Free is always better, but unfortunately won't pay for awesome artists and development costs :) I think a low price can ensure some great updates in the future, and still beat the socks off of other similar apps on the store for value for money :D
well, i wish everything were free!
but $2.99 is great, low so as to not stop many people from buying it, and enough to make you some money! especially for this, i remember every jailbroken iphone i saw had this game - and people that played the game always loved it!

steventsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
well, i wish everything were free!
but $2.99 is great, low so as to not stop many people from buying it, and enough to make you some money! especially for this, i remember every jailbroken iphone i saw had this game - and people that played the game always loved it!

Is a great game, hence why I decided to remake it for 2.0 once I realized that Lucas had been swallowed by Apple and wasn't going to be releasing it himself. Once I coded the logic I made contact with the others and they jumped at the chance to finish it up to make a product for the App Store. Has been great working with such talent.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Whats with the redacted censor bars? The second one looks like it says online multiplayer?

Also, isn't this just a rip of Hasbro's Lights Out?

The dark red level selector looks out of place with the aluminum finish. Either go all out oldschool or keep it newschool.

Also...where's the menu button?

steventsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Whats with the redacted censor bars? The second one looks like it says online multiplayer?

Also, isn't this just a rip of Hasbro's Lights Out?

The dark red level selector looks out of place with the aluminum finish. Either go all out oldschool or keep it newschool.

Also...where's the menu button?

That pic is using the old artwork, I can't show the new artwork in full yet but as a preview, see attached. And yes, there's a menu button ;)

Attachments

• LightsOff2SneakyPeek.png
    LightsOff2SneakyPeek.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,552

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
preview looks great
please add an option in settings to disable sounds though - some games dont and switching the iphone to ring/silent gets annoying if you have to do it all the time

steventsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
preview looks great
please add an option in settings to disable sounds though - some games dont and switching the iphone to ring/silent gets annoying if you have to do it all the time

Yes audio will be optional, and setting will persist across launches.

agent79

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2005
hi
i was wondering what the impetus was behind the typeface change for the game title.

i loved the original. it was nice, clean and elegant. it lent these attributes to the game itself.

but the new font just seems out of place. its bold and garish; techie and sci-fi. it gets in the way of itself. and it definitely sends the wrong message about the game.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
When will this be available on the app store? I loved the original, and have been looking forward to 2.0 since it was announced

ninjapenguinart

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Why do you have to do this? . . . I lost many hours with that dang original game!!! NOW I WILL LOOSE MANY MORE CAUSE OF YOU!!! :p . . . keep us updated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.