Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattrsa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
I need to order a HD cam corder for work.

I work in IT at a dental hospital and we want to film some clinical procedures that take place and then edit these and stick them on dvd.

I have looked around a bit but know very little on the subject. I have seen this one which seem pretty good
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Sony_Handycam_HDR_SR12E__6870712

Some people have mentioned the sony camera don't work well with macs can anyone back this up.

also I use final cut 4 on my mac book(2.2ghz with 2gig of ram) for editing the video, will I notice a huge differance with a mac book pro with 4gig of ram?

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
I've done tons of research over the last couple weeks (CCI, DVinfo, AVS etc.) Finding conflicting reviews and opinions, I tested the ones of interest myself. I found a shop that accepts returns (basically you buy the display at full price and can return it). I tried out the Sony SR10, SR12, HC9 and Canon HV30. Of the 3 I felt the picture quality was very close between the HC9, SR12 and HV30, and more distantly for the SR10. For overall sharpness I'd get the HV30, but prefer the Sony's AE. All the cameras are easy to use. I found the SR12 the easiest and has a awesome 3.2" display.

That said, you may still want to consider the HV30 or the HF10. They offer 30p which I've read does wonders for low light. Personally I didn't like the strobe effect with panning shot at 30p, but for indoor clinical procedures that may be a better option.

I did test all 4 cameras indoors with little light and the HV30 was a little shaper. Not by a huge amount, but with noting.

mattrsa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
thanks for the info,

I'm still a little confused as to which one to go for but your info has helped.

Thanks
Matt

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
I have a Standard DV Sony DSC-PC1000.

It has worked just fine with the Mac for stills, video and it work ok as a webcam.

But it is a little over 33 months old and it now will not play back or record and the zoom gets "locked" either fully out or fully in and will not focus, so no good for stills either.

I will not be buying any more Sony cameras.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
I will not be buying any more Sony cameras.

There is a lot of concern with how the Canon HVs will hold up. The HV20s had trouble with the hot shoot cap popping off and one person said theirs is now in a lake!

I wouldn't blacklist Sony for it. I've had 4 Sony camcorders over covering 12 yrs of shooting. I've always bought the extended warranty and am yet to use one.

Case in point -- Denon makes some of the best consumer AV receivers. They've been around for quite some time and know what they're doing. They blow away Sony (even Sony ES). Still I had to take my $1200 receiver in twice to have the fan replaced... they finally got it right, but it took 3 tries! There happened to be a bad fan design that year. So it can happen, its just the nature of electronics.... sorry to hear that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.