Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AlleyInsider reports on AT&T's Q2 financial results. AT&T posted $30.9 billion in revenue, up 4.7% year-over-year.

In Apple related news, AT&T revealed that despite ongoing iPhone shortages, the iPhone 3G sales are nearly double that of the first iPhone.
“The Apple iPhone 3G is a dramatic example of this transformation,” Stephenson added. “In the days following our exclusive U.S. launch of this new device, powered by the nation’s fastest 3G wireless network, customer response has been everything we had anticipated and more. This strengthens our wireless business, and it reinforces our positive view of the opportunities ahead for AT&T and the industry.”
Lines are still forming for the iPhone, which has been in short supply since its launch about 12 days ago.

Article Link

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
I don't suppose that has anything to do with it selling in 21 countries versus 1 last time ...

Or because it is selling at 1/3 the price of last time ...

Or because more were available upon launch than last time ...

Or ... :D

When you consider that most places are constantly out of stock, if there had been 3x as many available at launch, these articles would be saying that it is selling 5-6x as fast as the original.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

makes sense to me

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I don't suppose that has anything to do with it selling in 21 countries versus 1 last time ...

Actually, it doesn't, because these are AT&T numbers, and would only apply to the US.

Or because it is selling at 1/3 the prices of last time ...

Or ... :D

Now, that, I can definitely agree with. It's also just a nicer model, but the price is a huge factor I'm sure.

jW

JoeCo0611

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
this news makes me glad I went on the 2nd day to get one. I had to settle for white, but that not a problem compared to those who still can't get one! Hopefully apple lights a fire under their keesters and ships more soon!

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Actually, it doesn't, because these are AT&T numbers, and would only apply to the US. ... jW

Actually, the article says that "Apple revealed ..." not AT&T.

Edit ... my bad, I misread ... sorry. "In Apple related news, AT&T revealed ..."

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
this news makes me glad I went on the 2nd day to get one. I had to settle for white, but that not a problem compared to those who still can't get one! Hopefully apple lights a fire under their keesters and ships more soon!

Apple is not to blame. Keep in mind it takes time to manufacture and assemble these things overseas. I don't think even Apple thought they'd sell over 1m phones in the first 72 hours.

Even if they are building 50,000 per day, that's hardly enough to keep up with worldwide demand right now. and 50,000 per day is probably pushing it in manufacturing capability since that would be more than 2,000 per hour.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
..I had to settle for white, but that not a problem compared to those who still can't get one!

I had to settle for white too, but now that I'm holding it, I'm glad there weren't any black available as I'm really digging the white. Goes better with my MacBook anyways. ;)

Besides, it's not really white, it's just light black.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Indeed lines are still forming, which is truly mind-boggling.

After I stepped out of work at ~6PM on Monday (7/21), I decided to take the following pictures of the line at the the 5th Ave. Apple store:

2695397205_abdbcdbe3b.jpg

2695397103_2b0e45df98.jpg

2696212844_bd4f43c7df.jpg

2696212774_58a78f61c7.jpg

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Lines are definitely still forming at the Apple Store in Portland, OR! I was downtown yesterday when a shipment came in, queue formed immediately. They said they've been selling out every day.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I bet the numbers will be even more extreme for the UK when they get released.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
can't believe people are still waiting on line for a iphone...I've got mine!:D

proves that those who said "oh I'll wait a week to get mine, when it dies down" had no idea what they were talking about

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Indeed lines are still forming, which is truly mind-boggling.

After I stepped out of work at ~6PM on Monday (7/21), I decided to take a few pictures of the people standing in-line at the the 5th Ave. Apple store.

Here they are:
2695397205_abdbcdbe3b.jpg

2695397103_2b0e45df98.jpg

2696212844_bd4f43c7df.jpg

2696212774_58a78f61c7.jpg

If you build it... they will come :D

NotoriousLefty

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
I went to the apple store to see if the 3G phone was faster... I turned off wi-fi on the 3G phone and on my phone. Then I launched Safari on both. And typed in Yahoo on both phones and hit the Go button at the exact same time... and the Edge phone was faster... I was in shock. I had to pull my friend away to show him and bam ... the edge phone won a 2nd time to a brand new website he said to visit. I was VERY disappointed. Honestly I think the EDGE service has gotten faster since I first got my phone??? Go test it your self... (I'd love to see firefox for the iphone app lol)

I dont think there were enough improvements for me to let go of the edge iphone yet... no flash for the camera, no video, no voice gps... i mean seriously i cant look at the damn phone and drive... ??? who's idea was this??? everything else can just be a software update (copy and paste, video recording)...same 2.0 mp camera??? and cheap plastic back... to save apple $$$ and battery time still sucks, can i get a solar powered/assisted iphone next please??? with video chat??? for 200$... not iphone (the remix) I love LOVE LOVE my iphone for its ease of use. But my nokia had more features...3 years ago (voice dialing, gps voice, flash and video record)

if they did all of that then I can completely understand the waiting in line... OHHHH MY GOD ITS GOT A PLASTIC BACK THIS TIME!!!!! I HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE!!!!

When the edge iphone came out, I could casually walk into a apple store the day after the launch and buy a phone no problem.. with out the lines.

Apple is creating a shortage of iphone on purpose... they have MORE then enough... it creates a phony atmosphere of demand... ala Nintendo Wii marketing strategy... it works.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
The downside to this is that many first time Apple product buyers got exposed to one of the worst experiences in Apple history.

Long delays, activation problems, bricked phones, buggy phones, phones crashing, poor 3G coverage problems, extremely poor roll-out of mobileme, many new users with no mail service, apology letters from Apple, and for many much worst battery life than expected.

Apple blew this opportunity to introduce new users to the "just works" Apple experience. I also don't believe Apple is capable of providing a dependable online mobileme service. .Mac sucked from day one and never got any better despite Apple's commitment to improve the service.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
The iPhone 3G is NOT cheaper!

The buy in price IS $300 cheaper than the original. Most people don't sit down and figure out that this phone is actually more expensive over the 2 year contract.

They see the $199 / $299 price.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well, my and my friend picked one up last night, so I guess we are a part of that :D

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
The buy in price IS $300 cheaper than the original. Most people don't sit down and figure out that this phone is actually more expensive over the 2 year contract.

They see the $199 / $299 price.

All right, so why doesn't AT&T PAY people to get an iPhone, and then increase the cost even more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.