Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
So before you all jump on me and ask me why I'd want to do that, well its for backup reason.

I have some video from my HD Camcorder that is in M2TS format, I used their tools and wrote a video out to a DVD, then used handbrake to encode it. (by the way if there is a better way to do this PLEASE let me know, its killing me that I record in high def, and the convert to the DVD kill about half the resolution)

Well I accidentally wrote over that DVD that I would consider my backup copy.

Is there any way to get from a M4V back to a DVD so I can have a backup I lost, or so I can just make a DVD that someone can play in their DVD player?

Thanks

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
You should be able to use ffmpegx to convert from mp4 to full DV, then you can re-author a DVD. Keep in mind that this will mean losing quality twice, once from mp4 to DV, and then again from DV to your VIDEO_TS structure (mpeg2).

Why not just keep the mp4 as your backup? True, you can't play it on a DVD player, but you can always direct people to download quicktime, VLC, or another player and watch it on a computer.

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
for backups you are right I should use the mp4.

This is more of a , the grandparents want to take home a DVD.

Or my friends wants a movie, instead of digging through boxes of stuff to find the dvd I can just convert the mp4 to a DVD and give it to him.

ffmpegx is a MAC program right?

Do you know of anythign for a PC?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
You can try AVS Video Converter. I have absolutely no experience with it, but I saw the ad at the bottom of the page :D

I don't think that doing all the re-converting and burning a new disc is going to save much time over just digging through boxes, though. Depending on the length of the movie and the speed of your computer, it takes a while to get from mp4 back to DV. Then you have to import that footage into your editing software, re-author a DVD (putting back chapter markers, for example, if you want them), and then burn a disc. Pretty time consuming.

But, it's always good to have software on hand that can do this. I've used ffmpegx and MPEG Streamclip countless times for little things I've needed to get done.

Good luck.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Whatever you do but sadly the quality is lost! Once compressed... there's no going back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.