PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a 32gb nano?

Luzzio
Jul 23, 2008, 12:01 PM
I do :(

Been suffering with a 2gb 2nd gen nano for nearly two years now... I rejoiced at the macrumors posting about a possible doubling in the capacity... but a quick check with my music collection and it seems even 16gb might not last me in a year or so to come.

Not interested in Classic since it's bulky, I like slipping the nano into my jeans pocket. Not interested in the Touch too, since I'm only in for the music.

Anyone?

GGJstudios
Jul 23, 2008, 12:06 PM
I won't even consider buying an iPod until there's a 200GB version with zero DRM issues.

Muncher
Jul 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
I won't even consider buying an iPod until there's a 200GB version with zero DRM issues.

That's called a laptop, my friend. :p:D:apple:

GGJstudios
Jul 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
That's called a laptop, my friend. :p:D:apple:

....which is why I keep my music collection on my MBP/external drives! Can't fit it all on any iPod! :D

chicagdan
Jul 23, 2008, 03:37 PM
....which is why I keep my music collection on my MBP/external drives! Can't fit it all on any iPod! :D

Well, I refuse to buy another laptop until the SSD reaches 200 gigs and becomes affordable. And I refuse to buy a car until they come out with a plug in hybrid. And I refuse to breathe the air until they ... uh ... <cough> ... <gasp> ...

GGJstudios
Jul 23, 2008, 03:57 PM
Well, I refuse to buy another laptop until the SSD reaches 200 gigs and becomes affordable. And I refuse to buy a car until they come out with a plug in hybrid. And I refuse to breathe the air until they ... uh ... <cough> ... <gasp> ...

... and your point is....? Those are certainly your choices, in the same way some refuse to buy a car unless it's a particular color or refuse to buy a certain brand of something. I didn't say "refuse", and my reason is strictly about functionality, not a whim or emotional issue. I don't want to buy a device to carry my music collection, unless it can carry my entire music collection.... not just a part of it.

Nukemkb
Jul 23, 2008, 04:26 PM

Ha! :p I'm for a 32 gig nano. Yep - still using a 2nd gen 2 gig. 32 gig would be a monster to me :)

SactoGuy18
Jul 23, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think we may see 16 and 32 GB nanos when the next generation arrives probably this September. However, due to the small size of the nano, they will probably stick with the Click Wheel interface for now.

QCassidy352
Jul 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
would be nice, but I have a bad feeling we'll just see 8/16 when they get refreshed.

Fuchal
Jul 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldnt mind a slightly thicker nano with a 32gb capacity. Im pretty happy with my 16gb iPhone but a 32gb nano would probably be hard to pass on.

greg555
Jul 24, 2008, 01:16 AM
Steve will never make a product thicker just to add capacity :)

My prediction is 8 and 16GB with new colours. And you'll have to buy a 16 to get plain old black.

Greg

Luzzio
Jul 24, 2008, 05:08 AM
I think we may see 16 and 32 GB nanos when the next generation arrives probably this September. However, due to the small size of the nano, they will probably stick with the Click Wheel interface for now.

That would be likely, since the iPod Touch name would probably lose it's meaning if the iPod nano has that feature as well :p

Call me conservative, I still prefer the click-wheel for pure music enjoyment.

jeremyrader
Jul 24, 2008, 10:14 AM
... and your point is....? Those are certainly your choices, in the same way some refuse to buy a car unless it's a particular color or refuse to buy a certain brand of something. I didn't say "refuse", and my reason is strictly about functionality, not a whim or emotional issue. I don't want to buy a device to carry my music collection, unless it can carry my entire music collection.... not just a part of it.

I realize you're "only in it for the music." I was only in it for the Nike+ when I got my 1g 1GB. Problem is, even with 32GB of space for your music you'll soon be staring at the screen going, "how the heck am I going to fit my DVD collection on here?" :D

I've only got 18GB or so of music on my laptop, and I hate to think how much space the rest of the CD's would take. Then there's the 5GB of photos (personally taken family photos - most still in RAW format, not downloaded "adult material", before someone makes a snide comment...). And movies? That's all going on a server (ongoing project, and the music and photos will be next). I'd love more space too, but I've learned to break stuff up into an assortment of playlists and just take what I'm likely to use for the day - music playlists for running/working out/relaxing/driving as appropriate, plus recent photos of the kids, a couple favorite short movies/videos for a quick laugh, and the daily handful of podcast episodes - all on a measly 3g 4GB.

To be honest, the only thing stopping me from going to the Touch right now is Nike+, the whole reason I went Nano in the first place. I'm sure an app is in the works. Maybe during the education drive next year (promised my son I'd get him a new laptop for college, free Touch for me sounds good!).

My suggestion, then, would be to break up your collection into manageable playlists, and change them up on a regular basis if you're set on the thinness factor of the Nano. Or you could go with a non-Apple player that has expandable flash storage and start transferring all your stuff onto miniSDs or whatever if taking it all with you is more important.

Flash prices are dropping, and recent manufacturing/design/process breakthroughs will soon have double the capacity for the same size on the market soon. So a 32GB Nano isn't out of the question, just not very soon - maybe September next year.

GGJstudios
Jul 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
I realize you're "only in it for the music." ... Then there's the 5GB of photos ....And movies? .... ..My suggestion, then, would be to break up your collection into manageable playlists, and change them up on a regular basis ...

Understand, I'm not criticizing any version of the iPod. I realize that everyone has their own listening styles. If I add my photo and movie collection to the mix, it only makes an iPod farther out of reach, in terms of storage. Plus, in my opinion, the iPods are too small for anything visual. If I prefer watching movies on a 65" Plasma HDTV, how could I possibly enjoy them on a 3" screen? I've spent too many decades looking at computer screens, so my eyes aren't what they used to be! (plus, there's a nasty rumor going around that my age has something to do with my less-than-perfect vision! :D)

As far as music, I want to just enjoy my music and play what comes to mind that I'm in the mood for, which I never can predict. I don't want to spend time dividing and sub-dividing my collection into playlists. Plus, inevitably, I'd want to hear something that's on a different playlist that's not on the iPod. With over 30,000 songs and over 150GB, just breaking it up into meaningful playlists would be a huge task. I realize the iPods weren't designed for efficient management of very large collections, so I'm happy for now, playing my music on my MBP and home theater.

mr.666
Jul 24, 2008, 04:10 PM
i like to push buttons so here it goes...

the iPod in any form is just A PLAYBACK DEVICE. why all this talk of 150GB of media? thats why it sync's/is used with a computer. why would you want it to be a vault of everything you've ever heard or seen on dvd?

what'd ya do when an LP didnt fit on a cassette for your car? not buy cassettes or instal a turntable in your car?

GGJstudios
Jul 24, 2008, 04:18 PM

Because your intent is to "push buttons" rather than contribute in a meaningful way (as you did in another forum and had your comment deleted by a moderator), I'll choose to disregard your post.

Muncher
Jul 24, 2008, 05:28 PM

the iPod in any form is just A PLAYBACK DEVICE. why all this talk of 150GB of media? thats why it sync's/is used with a computer. why would you want it to be a vault of everything you've ever heard or seen on dvd?

what'd ya do when an LP didnt fit on a cassette for your car? not buy cassettes or instal a turntable in your car?

If I want to put every last DVD in the 14 DVD set of Monty Python's Flying Circus onto my iPod, I should have the right to complain and petition to Apple to create an iPod that satisfies me until such a time when the said device is released at a reasonable price. :D

GGJstudios
Jul 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
....Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Well at least you've got great taste in content! :D

bloodycape
Jul 24, 2008, 09:32 PM
So a 32GB Nano isn't out of the question, just not very soon - maybe September next year.
If Apple did that, more companies would be at 32gb, a few might be at 48gb or even 64gb. Creative already has 2 devices at 32gb(with SDHC support), and Sandsik has one also(but that has the smaller SDHC format). And they have a 32gb device out since December or so. And other are slow bring out their 32gb devices.

zainjetha
Jul 25, 2008, 04:45 AM
the whole point of nano is not for hardcore music libraries.. i struggle to see them making a 16gb definitely not a 32gb atm.. and why did they drop 5th gen 30gb??

SwiftLives
Jul 25, 2008, 06:28 AM
I predict they'll bump the nanos to 8 and 16, and drop the price points by $50.

Long term, I'm willing to bet the nano will replace the shuffle as the entry level iPod. Apple seems to want to keep the nanos as a relatively low capacity compared with their other iPod offerings.

adamerr
Jul 25, 2008, 07:14 AM
could you imagine a 1TB iPod Nano.
one that is the same size as today's 3rd GEN. nano's.
that would be exciting. :D

Luzzio
Jul 25, 2008, 08:59 AM
the whole point of nano is not for hardcore music libraries.. i struggle to see them making a 16gb definitely not a 32gb atm.. and why did they drop 5th gen 30gb??

Currently, no, it's not a place to store 'hardcore' music libraries.

But I think there are loads of people in the market for a small portable player that can store their in between 16-32gb's of songs.

bandaros
Jul 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
16GB sounds nice to me... 32GB would be cool too - but somehow I don't see it happening...

adamerr
Jul 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
16GB sounds nice to me... 32GB would be cool too - but somehow I don't see it happening...

who in the world could manage to listen to 32GB of songs?

MacBass
Jul 25, 2008, 09:52 AM

Me. :p Nah, some people like to throw a movie or two on their iPod, and on a 4 GB or 8 GB nano, that will take up precious space. Granted, I have a Classic, so I don't run into those woes too often.

sushi
Jul 25, 2008, 09:58 AM
I think we may see 16 and 32 GB nanos when the next generation arrives probably this September.
Don't think we will see those capacities.

would be nice, but I have a bad feeling we'll just see 8/16 when they get refreshed.
Agree.

My prediction is 8 and 16GB with new colours. And you'll have to buy a 16 to get plain old black.
Agree x 2.

Something like that may happen someday...a few years from now. :)

aosman
Jul 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
I would say I would rather an even higher capacity iPod Touch (and iPhone) than an iPod Nano with a higher capacity. Many people are going for the touch over the nano.

NC MacGuy
Jul 25, 2008, 10:22 AM
^^^ Agreed. I'd be happy w. 16G Nano and a 64G Touch.

Muncher
Jul 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
Many people are going for the touch over the nano.

And Apple doesn't want to change that. :D

Touch = more profit during sale + regular $10-$20 updates + Lots of Apps!

godslabrat
Jul 25, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm currently using an 80GB Classic, which on an average day has about 45GB worth of stuff on its HDD. It's the absolute best fit for my use, the only complaint I have is that it's not a SSD. If I were to be able to switch to SSD, I would need a minimum of 64GB before I wouldn't be losing any capacity in the tradeoff.

If Apple could cram 32GB SSD into a nano, I'm willing to bet they could make a Classic or Touch with 64GB. So, for my own selfish reasons, I'd be in favor of it.

Duff-Man
Jul 25, 2008, 11:29 AM

Duff-Man says....I've got way more music than what would fit on 32GB, and yes, I do listen to it. That being said I do not carry it around on my iPod.

As others have said - the iPod ain't just for your music - some may have movies/videos, and I like to use mine as a portable hard drive as well.

I'd welcome a 32GB nano but I don't think it is in the next revision - 8/16 is the more likely scenario, and I'd probably buy a 16GB one....oh yeah!

chuckiehina
Jul 25, 2008, 01:47 PM

Add a few TV shows and movies, and 8 GB seems really small really fast.

sushi
Jul 25, 2008, 01:50 PM
Add a few TV shows and movies, and 8 GB seems really small really fast.
Yep, movies and TV shows take up a lot of space.

cube
Jul 25, 2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe a touch nano is coming with half the size. At microSDHC sizes, memory should be no problem if they can fit the rest.

queshy
Jul 25, 2008, 04:26 PM
There will eventually be a 32 gb nano, not sure if that time will come soon, though. Eventually the iPod classic and touch will probably merge into one product. Not sure about the faith of the nano, though. There's always a demand for a lighter, smaller player.

LizKat
Jul 28, 2008, 12:40 AM
I would say I would rather an even higher capacity iPod Touch (and iPhone) than an iPod Nano with a higher capacity. Many people are going for the touch over the nano.

I like the iPhone / touch and the nano for different purposes. I love having the nano with a bunch of video news podcasts and TV shows on it, I kind of half-watch them in the kitchen in an Altec Lansing speakerset while I'm cooking.

The larger screen of the phone / touch I like for watching movies and for coverflow on music, plus net browsing.

But would I get a 32Gb nano? Sure. All those CSI Miami shows with the hot bright colors are my favorites during our freezing winters, and I could fit more seasons on there. I almost treat those shows like random tracks of music, doesn't matter which one or where it left off... just show me the colors of Miami in January in my chilly kitchen at 7am.

But if you offered me a 64Gb touch or a 32Gb nano, I'd probably go for the touch first, even though the 32Gb ipod touch is pretty spacious. I can usually slam new purchases onto it without offloading any stuff, which process does slow me down when I refresh my (8Gb) iPhone... have to think about what I'm willing to part with before I can load new tracks onto the phone.

So imagine a 64Gb iPod touch... I think the reason i'd like that over a larger nano is that I could store more choices of longer video formats. I don't really like watching regular movies on a nano, and everyone has favorite movies they could watch for a tenth time, right? Nice to be able to stash more of those on the iPod touch with its bigger screen. Right now I have 10 movies, a season of TV shows and about 500 tracks of music on the 32Gb touch, and it has about 9Gb free. I like to leave 5Gb for adding more music but that does not leave much room for adding newly acquired favorite movies without ditching something.

I wanted to watch War Games again the other night but was too lazy to go fish it off an external drive and I didn't want to watch it on a 5th gen iPod that does have it on there right now. So probably I would not watch that movie on a 3G nano even if I had room for it. I'd rather have it sitting on an iPod touch even if I only watch it twice a year.

For just listening to music, without emphasis on artwork or videos, my favorite form factor is still the 2nd generation nano. I think of it as a shuffle with a screen and will never forget waiting for mine to wing its way here from China when they first rolled out.

I still like the 1st and 2nd gen nano small storage capacities too, a bunch of them remain my quick-fixes du jour. Grab one and wipe it down and drag some stuff on it and see how it goes, tweak it a little next time or just do it all over in five minutes. Once you get past 4Gb then reloading an iPod gets to be a project, right? An opportunity but sometimes a burden. So I hope Apple never completely shuts out the smaller size iPods, storage wise AND form-factor wise. Sometimes, less really is more.

Jul 29, 2008, 11:53 PM

Greg

Uhh...Ever hear of the Classic? The 60 and 80 gigs versions were both bigger than the 30 gig versions, and the 160 gig one now is bigger than the current 80 gig version.

mosx
Jul 30, 2008, 03:53 AM
Uhh...Ever hear of the Classic? The 60 and 80 gigs versions were both bigger than the 30 gig versions, and the 160 gig one now is bigger than the current 80 gig version.

But they're also thinner than the previous generations ;)

The current 80GB is a single platter drive, like the previous generation 30GB. Its actually a little bit thinner than the previous generation.

The current 160GB is double platter, like the previous 80GB. Its thinner than the previous 80GB iPod as well.

I think the current iPod nano is damn near perfect, except for the epidemic of tilted screens. My first iPod nano, bought the first day the Apple Store had it, had a tilted screen. The one Apple replaced it with had a tilted screen. The replacement after that, in late November, had it too!

I say take the current form, bump the battery life up as much as possible, and stick as much memory in it as possible. With SD cards sporting 32GB, theres no reason we can't have a 16 and 32GB iPod nano. I'd even pay $299 for a 32GB iPod nano. I'd use that thing until replacement batteries could no longer be bought a decade or two from now.

Kardashian
Jul 30, 2008, 04:35 AM
I'd like a 16GB at least.

I've wanted one for years!

But not if its fugly 2G style :mad:

iSpoody 1243
Jul 30, 2008, 04:42 AM
I do :(

Been suffering with a 2gb 2nd gen nano for nearly two years now... I rejoiced at the macrumors posting about a possible doubling in the capacity... but a quick check with my music collection and it seems even 16gb might not last me in a year or so to come.

Not interested in Classic since it's bulky, I like slipping the nano into my jeans pocket. Not interested in the Touch too, since I'm only in for the music.

Anyone?
lololol

i doubt apple will make a nano with more than 16 gig memory for 2 years, how much music do you really need on the go?
i think 6 gig for music and 10 gig for vids would be awesome but maybe i need to update my 4 gig ipod mini to something newer

muldul
Jul 30, 2008, 07:15 AM
I would buy the touch, it is small enough

sushi
Jul 30, 2008, 07:23 AM
That would be nice someday.

However, can you imagine how long it would take to load it, or sync it with USB? :eek:

I would buy the touch, it is small enough
It is surprising how small the Touch is considering it's feature set.

I am really liking mine.

Apple Ink
Jul 30, 2008, 07:44 AM
No 32GB. All Nanos till date have only used a single flash chip! And 32GB chips are a bit.. er.. expensive right now!

bloodycape
Jul 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
lololol

i doubt apple will make a nano with more than 16 gig memory for 2 years, how much music do you really need on the go?
i think 6 gig for music and 10 gig for vids would be awesome but maybe i need to update my 4 gig ipod mini to something newer

Or you can add a 8gb or 16gb(32gb if you really want) cf card for cheap to your mini and be set for audio for a long while.