Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your opinion of 2.0?

• Worst thing in the world, Apple should be shot.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Don't need it at all.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I could take it or leave it.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Somewhat useful, but not much of an improvement.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • OMG it's like I've died and gone to Heaven

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davidy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
On a scale of 1 to 5 (1=completely dissatisfied; 5=in heaven) what is your overall experience with 2.0?

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Probably a 3 - there are great improvements like the App Store, ability to download 3rd party apps but 2.0 is still rather unstable

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I only registered to share my frustration about this Apple mutation. :eek:

I owned some Windows Mobile 5 devices, had lot's of Windows computers and finally switched to Mac to enjoy the hasselfree just working bright side of IT only to get totally disappointed by this software upgrade.

The problem is not the bad quality of the update but the fact that Apple published it. They have lost my respect and trust. Why?

• 2.0 drains the battery of my Touch only slightly slower than short circuiting the damn thing would do. Even when it sleeps. It doesn't surprise that it gets hot while wasting energy...
  • It does not recharge relieable. It never did.
  • 2.0 runs as fast as an Opossum sitting in the middle of a New Zealand road. All the flawless interaction with the user interface you got used to isn't flawless and interactive anymore. It just behaves like a touch interface would behave when it would have been programmed by Microsoft.
  • Applications run, crash and then do not run anymore. Great? Not really!
  • Email notifactions by sound beeps cannot be disabled without disabling all sound. Now that is really the design choice made by a genius, especially for a device, whose phony brother want's to enter the business market.

Ranting over and out.

Woogaloo

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
5 i love the new
App store but i dont like how
all the free apps suck

Apparently we're using two different types of free apps. I'm using things like Shazam for finding music that I hear on the radio, and Pandora for radio, and Aurora Feint for gaming, not to mention Facebook/Myspace and the iTunes Remote and all very, very sweet.

And I'd give the update about a 4.0/5.0.

I mean, it's been really really great and really is what the iPhone needed, but what about picture messages? Honestly, add that and I'd be the happiest person alive...or at least in regards to the iPhone. :)

shoney

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
Nothing short of rubbish, and yes there are some really crappy apps some good ones too, but I have to say I found most are just crap.

Thats when they work ! The software upgrade has been somewhat dissappointing, my Touch now wont stream some internet video designed for the Touch without stuttering and were as before it would happily fast forward or rewind those streams, it now wont play ball....duurrrrr!

Lots of quirky niggles going on now, when pre 2.0 it worked fine.

Apple should be ashamed of its self for letting this one out of the bag onto an eagerly awaiting audience, they have took our cash and run.

What are they doing about? Letting us stew and moan on these forums.

If I hear another Apple nerd say 'hang in there till the next update' I swear I'll end it all.....

Where was I... Oh yes...... 1/5

random man5

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Depends

2.0 is ok, I'd give it 3 out of 5 but if you jailbreak it I would put that up to 4.5.

App-store Apps and cydia apps running together are great and you can do some basic skinning/themeing with springroll. Plus having a custom boot image is great! Jailbreaking it just improves 2.0 so much

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
id give it a 4, especialy with cydia, but the crashing and crappy battey life have GOT to be fixed

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I'd have to give it somewhere in between 2.5 and 3.

There are some things that sucks. For example on my iPod Touch, battery life is crappy. The whole thing is quite unstable. I was really disappointed by that, but I know it's a first release. Think of it like Jaguar 10.0. Things got much better at 10.1 and 10.2.

It's for those reasons I cannot give it anything better than a 2.5 / 3.
I do like the AppStore and other small features. (i.e., screen shots, .com/.edu/.gov)

I hope my issues with it will be resolved. After all, they have already been testing 2.0.1.

Oh and the only thing that annoys me with the Apps in that online access is required for most of them. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Phonebook that downloaded the numbers for you state/county? The best example of an offline Apple that I've seen is WeDict. (Give it a try people.)

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Most disappointing Apple software upgrade in years

I used to have a very solid, reliable and robust iPod Touch. Now it behaves very much like one of those XX-YY Chinese knock-off ipod wannabes that we see videos on Youtube where you see the scroll not properly scrolling, people doing things twice or three times until it finally responds, switching from landscape to portrait about 3 seconds after you turned the thing, if it switches at all, light sensor acting erratically, taking ages to load a simple contacts list, and draining the battery like never before. This is the crappiest ever and this is the first time i am this upset with Apple, specially because it was another $10 on top of January's $20.

I do think the App store is great and it is not Apple's fault if 80% of the free apps are crap. What is unacceptable is the iPod Touch OS itself and the included Apple apps not working properly, or at least as good as they used to. You cannot type as fast as before, the UI cannot keep up (that keyboard is really sssslllllloooooooowwwwww now). Not even the iPod part works as before. It will quit, stop the music, not play smoothly if you have videos and music in the same playlist, sometimes stops the music when you shut off the screen to save battery, etc. and it used to be so much better.

I don't know if it is any different in the iPhone, but the iPod touch is a disaster now.:mad:

davidy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Since I started the poll I should jump in here and explain my own vote - "2"

I have jailbroken 1.1.4 and am completely satisfied, both with the way the touch operates and with the applications I have. I have not had a bit of trouble.

Reading other threads here led me to believe that, whereas many of you kind of like 2.0, you nonetheless have been having problems with heating up, slow applications, low battery life, crashing, etc. It seems that you are just accepting those problems, saying you like 2.0, but...

For myself, since 1.1.4 is solid, I couldn't see any reason at all to go with 2.0, especially since none of the new features or available applications were any different from what I have with the jailbreak.

I haven't gone through the iTunes applications site to examine every available application but with a quick read-through it looks like 90% of what's available is games. How many games does one need? I have 15 games on my touch but only use four with any regularity (sudoku, four-in-a-row, parking lot and peg jump). My games are all logic games of one sort or another. It looks like many iTunes games are action games. I really don't see the touch as an ideal platform for action games. It will handle them, just not as well as other devices.

Anyway, my "2" vote means simply that I haven't seen a need to "upgrade" to 2.0 and lose what I have now.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I love the ability of the new apps but it's a lot more buggy than the earlier software.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
My vote is 1 because...

I, as you, had a Jailbroken 1.1.4 and was extremely satisfied with a very solid product. After installing 2.0 my iPod is buggy, battery does not last and I don't have the flexibility I used to have with my Jailbroken iPod.

Since I started the poll I should jump in here and explain my own vote - "2"

I have jailbroken 1.1.4 and am completely satisfied, both with the way the touch operates and with the applications I have. I have not had a bit of trouble.

Reading other threads here led me to believe that, whereas many of you kind of like 2.0, you nonetheless have been having problems with heating up, slow applications, low battery life, crashing, etc. It seems that you are just accepting those problems, saying you like 2.0, but...

For myself, since 1.1.4 is solid, I couldn't see any reason at all to go with 2.0, especially since none of the new features or available applications were any different from what I have with the jailbreak.

I haven't gone through the iTunes applications site to examine every available application but with a quick read-through it looks like 90% of what's available is games. How many games does one need? I have 15 games on my touch but only use four with any regularity (sudoku, four-in-a-row, parking lot and peg jump). My games are all logic games of one sort or another. It looks like many iTunes games are action games. I really don't see the touch as an ideal platform for action games. It will handle them, just not as well as other devices.

Anyway, my "2" vote means simply that I haven't seen a need to "upgrade" to 2.0 and lose what I have now.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
5 i love the new
App store but i dont like how
all the free apps suck

The question was how we felt about 2.0 not the apps. I think that 2.0 allows the apps is great. Whether the apps are any good is a personal call. Especially free is free so we are not out a cent.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Regardless of all the things 2.0 did not add, I can't imagine giving it a rating of less than 5/5. I say nay to all the whining.

It has added unbelievable functionality. I haven't had a single regret since I updated the Touch the second it was released. Yeah, its crashed a couple of times, but that's fault of having all these 3rd Party apps on my Touch, not the 2.0 update itself.

Copy/Paste WOULD have been really nice, though... still, I'm pretty happy!

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama

Granted, these aren't problems EVERYONE faces. Heating up? I haven't noticed. Slowed down? Not a bit for me. Battery life has changed, but that's obviously from the hours of playing games, not from anything 2.0 has changed. I spend WAY more time on my iPod than I did before 2.0, so obviously I have to charge more.

Crashing has occurred for me, but as I said, that's a problem I only have while using 3rd party apps. It's not necessarily a problem within 2.0 itself.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe

My exact reason for sticking to 1.1.4 as well. I couldn't find an application so awesome it'd make it worth the switch to me. I'm quite happy with the installer apps, I just don't need 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.