PDA

View Full Version : The equivalent of A+ certification for the Mac?

SiliconAddict
Dec 29, 2003, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know if Apple has a certification program for Macs similar to A+ certification for the PC? Iím taking the second half, OS, of my A+ test tomorrow and sitting here Iím somewhat irked that they donít even bother with Linux. (Understandable since they own less then 1% of the PC market.) Iíd like to be trained across the board and would like to be able to enter any environment (Be it PC or Mac.) and show that I know my stuff.
So does anyone know if there is such a beast and how much it runs price wise?

ITR 81
Dec 29, 2003, 10:47 AM
Apple Technician
Go to Apple.com and then to the developer section and you will see where you can buy the software and books for the exam.

I would like this for myself as well.

But I figure you will have to update it ever so often whenever Apple comes out with new computer.

SiliconAddict
Dec 29, 2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks. I was just looking in the wrong area on Apple's site. I'll probably get the manuals and may go through one cert but the certification expires after one year and it costs $300 between the two tests. That's more cash then I really want to shell out each year. Maybe I'll recert once every 2-3 years.

Flowbee
Dec 29, 2003, 02:05 PM
If you're planning to make a living as a computer technician, I don't think $300 per year sounds like a very significant expense. Plus, it's tax deductible.

ITR 81
Dec 29, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Thanks. I was just looking in the wrong area on Apple's site. I'll probably get the manuals and may go through one cert but the certification expires after one year and it costs $300 between the two tests. That's more cash then I really want to shell out each year. Maybe I'll recert once every 2-3 years.

If you ever work for Apple I don't think you'll ever have to worry about paying for the cert again.

If you own your own business it just gives you another avenue of income.
I would figure you would make it all up in say 3-4 Apple computer repairs.

I myself made $50 an hr as freelance computer tech, plus $20 bucks for gas and me coming to your business or home.
So in about 3 trips or less I could pay for a Apple Cert. test. All Apple techs around here charge around $75-90 a hr. So you should make you money back pretty quick.