PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Touch?

ktran
Jul 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi, I'm new the the macrumors community and I'd like to know where I can find the rumored improvements/add-ons for the iPod Touch that may be coming out soon.

What do you guys think the price will be?

What improvements will be made?

When will it be released?

Thanks.

DeaconGraves
Jul 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
There's definitely a lot of threads out there about iPod Touch wishlists/speculation, so be sure to take a look.

That being said, Apple tends to refresh iPods around September. If the Touch gets an update, it will likely be then.

Mikey-
Jul 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think they'll update the battery in the iPod and it will be around September.

Vaphoron
Jul 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
I think they'll update the battery in the iPod and it will be around September.

Yeah, I think they will extend the battery life and possibly drop the prices. I don't really expect a capacity increase quite yet although I'd be thrilled if I were wrong because I could definitely go for a 64GB iPod Touch.

illidian
Jul 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
There are no new hardware features to implement into the Touch.

4DThinker
Jul 23, 2008, 03:55 PM
They may add bluetooth, add GPS, move the memory up a notch for the price, improve the battery, add an FM radio, add a second earphone jack, add a TV-out, add a mic, or do all these things.

Bluetooth? Every other Mac has it. So do competing players from Philips, Samsung, Insignia, Sony, and more.

GPS? Would be approriate considering the location apps coming out. Even if all it would do is turn on to find location then shut off.

Memory? This is the one thing we know that keeps going down in price. With Apps to sell, more memory would be desirable.

Battery? Unlikely without increasing the Touch's size. Bad thing to do as it would obsolete every Touch accessory out there.

FM? Again, competing players have it. In fact almost everyone else has it, and many have FM recording too.

Second Jack? Not likely. Nice touch on the Inisignia Pilot though.

TV out? In my dreams.

Mic? Would allow VOIP applications. Apple probably won't, as then the Touch can be a phone, and Apple would rather sell you an iPhone.

All these things? What? Make the Touch the perfect device all at once? Apple likes to give features in stages, and charge us new money for each one. So it won't happen.

4D

Dale Sorel
Jul 23, 2008, 04:00 PM
There are no new hardware features to implement into the Touch.

Agreed.

4DThinker
Jul 23, 2008, 04:04 PM
Agreed.
So are you hoping there won't be any hardware changes? If you're positive there won't be any changes, would you mind explaining what you base that opinion on? From my experience Apple never does what I'm positive it will.

queshy
Jul 23, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Please use the search function next time as this has been thoroughly discussed already.

Anyways, I'll add in anyways :)

September-ish is iPod month. Price drops and higher capacities have been very common. In terms of new features - maybe an external speaker on the iPod touch? Apple isn't big on adding large numbers of features to their products (except their OS's). Who cares about all those features other players have if they're poorly implemented? However, the external speaker on iPhone is great and the iPod touch would really benefit from that.

fleshman03
Jul 23, 2008, 04:21 PM
FM? Again, competing players have it. In fact almost everyone else has it, and many have FM recording too.

While I think some ideas may be in the new iPod Touch, I doubt there will be an FM radio. It's just never been an iPod feature. People have asked over and over and Apple keeps saying no over and over. :D

Bluetooth - why? Bluetooth headphones? Wireless syncing isn't going to happen because the iPhone doesn't have it.

I do think they are going to replace the back panel (solid back or white) and a better battery.

If Apple wants to go for extra points, GPS and a camera would be nice - but highly unlikely.

And possibly making it 32gb and 64gb. (Justification to keep prices around the same)

illidian
Jul 23, 2008, 04:29 PM
So are you hoping there won't be any hardware changes? If you're positive there won't be any changes, would you mind explaining what you base that opinion on? From my experience Apple never does what I'm positive it will.

How about how the iPhone didn't get any hardware upgrades that correlate to the iPod Touch?

Surely the new version of the iPhone would have included anything that the Touch will include.

3G? No. GPS? No. A flush headphone jack? Hopefully. A plastic back? Doubt it.

MacGeek7
Jul 23, 2008, 04:32 PM
I wish they would add 802.11n for WiFi

4DThinker
Jul 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
How about how the iPhone didn't get any hardware upgrades that correlate to the iPod Touch?It's a phone. It got upgrades that correlate to the phone competition. The Touch's only unique feature (unless you count Cowan or Archos) is wifi. And while I'll admit it's my favorite feature, it's not the first PDA to offer wifi, email, calendar, contacts, touchscreen, or downloadable games. What the Touch needs is upgrades that correlate to the pocket media player competition.

qacjared
Jul 23, 2008, 10:30 PM
You know the Back to school deal end on Monday September 15th. So I'm guessing we will know on the 16th.

Muncher
Jul 23, 2008, 10:49 PM
They may add bluetooth, add GPS, move the memory up a notch for the price, improve the battery, add an FM radio, add a second earphone jack, add a TV-out, add a mic, or do all these things.

Bluetooth? Every other Mac has it. So do competing players from Philips, Samsung, Insignia, Sony, and more.

GPS? Would be approriate considering the location apps coming out. Even if all it would do is turn on to find location then shut off.

Memory? This is the one thing we know that keeps going down in price. With Apps to sell, more memory would be desirable.

Battery? Unlikely without increasing the Touch's size. Bad thing to do as it would obsolete every Touch accessory out there.

Second Jack? Not likely. Nice touch on the Inisignia Pilot though.

TV out? In my dreams.

Mic? Would allow VOIP applications. Apple probably won't, as then the Touch can be a phone, and Apple would rather sell you an iPhone.

Bluetooth? iPhone doesn't have it, so no.
GPS? A possibility.
Memory? Maybe.
Battery? Here, you're wrong. Apple can put in more expensive, higher energy density batteries with the same physical dimensions as current iPod touch batteries. Fairly certain.
FM? Not without the iPhone.
Second Jack? Splitters are cheap, why bother?
TV Out? Has it, you just need the adapter/s (One for sound, one for video).
Mic? Unofficially, there is no mic. However, the port on the bottom provides audio input pins. You can even have VOIP if you jailbreak your iPod.

Apple likes to give features in stages, and charge us new money for each one. So it won't happen.

4D

Agreed, Apple likes to release products over time.

I wish they would add 802.11n for WiFi

Why? Very few internet services provide fast enough internet to saturate a 54Mbps link, or even 11Mbps (802.11b). The average internet speed in the US is 2Mbps. The reason for Wireless-N is, at the moment, local area network file transfers.

Dale Sorel
Jul 24, 2008, 12:15 PM
So are you hoping there won't be any hardware changes?

No, not really. I like my Touch plenty and don't really care what's around the corner.

If you're positive there won't be any changes, would you mind explaining what you base that opinion on?

I don't know... I guess I'm just a little smarter than everyone else here ;)

From my experience Apple never does what I'm positive it will.

Boo hoo hoo :p

4DThinker
Jul 24, 2008, 03:43 PM
I don't know... I guess I'm just a little smarter than everyone else here. So you don't know and you have to guess. I'll just ignore your posts from now on. ;)

illidian
Jul 24, 2008, 04:07 PM
It's a phone. It got upgrades that correlate to the phone competition. The Touch's only unique feature (unless you count Cowan or Archos) is wifi. And while I'll admit it's my favorite feature, it's not the first PDA to offer wifi, email, calendar, contacts, touchscreen, or downloadable games. What the Touch needs is upgrades that correlate to the pocket media player competition.

You aren't looking at this the same way Apple is.

The iPod Touch is just a name for iPhone Lite.

4DThinker
Jul 24, 2008, 06:45 PM
The iPod Touch is just a name for iPhone Lite.Every other touchscreen phone out there is an iPhone Lite. The Touch is an iPod heavy. Apple didn't even put Mail or Contacts on the Touch to start with because Apple isn't thinking it of an iPhone Lite. They started out hoping to make it simply the king of their iPod media player line. Yes, it looks the same, uses the same OS, shares the same subset of apps, and so on. It's the users who saw the similarity and forced Apple to let us make them as close as possible in function.

They want it to remain the king of the pocket media players. Features that other media players are getting should be their target. I have other players, and I listen to the ones with bluetooth. My Touch is handy for mail, weather, and checking my favorite web sites. Sure it'll play music, but the need to carry along earbuds means I'm not listening. With bluetooth, my bluetooth enabled players can play their audio over any of several bluetooth speakers in my house. If I want a personal performance, I can sync with one or two headsets. Bluetooth headsets also control the volume, Play/pause, next and previous of the device. The device can be 30 feet away.

I'll agree Apple may not be visionary enough. Now that California is hands free, bluetooth wireless will become the nationwide standard for audio to your ears. I hope they aren't too blind to see that.

arctic
Jul 25, 2008, 12:12 AM
Every other touchscreen phone out there is an iPhone Lite. The Touch is an iPod heavy. Apple didn't even put Mail or Contacts on the Touch to start with because Apple isn't thinking it of an iPhone Lite. They started out hoping to make it simply the king of their iPod media player line. Yes, it looks the same, uses the same OS, shares the same subset of apps, and so on. It's the users who saw the similarity and forced Apple to let us make them as close as possible in function.

They want it to remain the king of the pocket media players. Features that other media players are getting should be their target. I have other players, and I listen to the ones with bluetooth. My Touch is handy for mail, weather, and checking my favorite web sites. Sure it'll play music, but the need to carry along earbuds means I'm not listening. With bluetooth, my bluetooth enabled players can play their audio over any of several bluetooth speakers in my house. If I want a personal performance, I can sync with one or two headsets. Bluetooth headsets also control the volume, Play/pause, next and previous of the device. The device can be 30 feet away.

I'll agree Apple may not be visionary enough. Now that California is hands free, bluetooth wireless will become the nationwide standard for audio to your ears. I hope they aren't too blind to see that.

But you have seen every single year, Apple doesnt give a rats-arse what other companies' feature-rich portables have to offer (Cowon, Samsung, Sony, Creative, MS, etc.). iPod products sell well nevertheless. So no, you wont see FM radios or bluetooth :p. Bluetooth was actually a possibility for the iPhone 3G but seeing that it didnt happen means the touch won't come with it either. Welcome to Apple reality.

delsin2
Jul 25, 2008, 12:38 AM
I think new Apple iPhone is good option.

4DThinker
Jul 25, 2008, 07:21 AM
Bluetooth was actually a possibility for the iPhone 3G but seeing that it didnt happen means the touch won't come with it either. Welcome to Apple reality.Apple reality: Apple had never made a phone, and Steve Jobs swore it would never happen.

The iPhone has bluetooth (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html), but it's a single channel version that works with monotone phone headsets and not stereo. I guess your facts are wrong. Typical Apple to go half way, and I'll bet they go the rest of the way for a "small fee" in the future.

arctic
Jul 25, 2008, 08:52 AM
Apple reality: Apple had never made a phone, and Steve Jobs swore it would never happen.

The iPhone has bluetooth (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html), but it's a single channel version that works with monotone phone headsets and not stereo. I guess your facts are wrong. Typical Apple to go half way, and I'll bet they go the rest of the way for a "small fee" in the future.

Everybody knows the crippled bluetooth that you have with the iPhone. I was clearly refering to my bluetooth enabled players can play their audio over any of several bluetooth speakers in my house. But yeah, my bad for not being specific when I stated "Bluetooth was actually a possibility for the iPhone 3G". NON-CRIPPLED or HALF-BAKED Bluetooth.

andybno1
Jul 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
Surely the new version of the iPhone would have included anything that the Touch will include.

3G? No. GPS? No. A flush headphone jack? Hopefully. A plastic back? Doubt it.

you meaning the ipod touch to have 3g or gps? because from reading that it sounds like your saying they wouldn't add gps or 3g into the iPhone?

only conceivable addon would be external speaker, apple would be stupid to add features there flagship mobile device has into an extended media player.

bluetooth for headphones...... maybe but again VERY unlikely

at the end of the day all I have to say to all these people who want 3g/gos/bluetooth/voice recording ability is............ are you ready?................... GET AN IPHONE!!

Night Spring
Jul 25, 2008, 12:17 PM
at the end of the day all I have to say to all these people who want 3g/gos/bluetooth/voice recording ability is............ are you ready?................... GET AN IPHONE!!

But if you get an iPhone, you need to get a phone contract, with service fees of at least $70 a month, if I understand correctly. A lot of people want features such as bluetooth/speakers/camera/voice recording/etc/etc without having to pay for a phone service.

Nickelz92
Jul 25, 2008, 08:33 PM

You are incorrect on the one aspect of this (I consider) outlandish post where you pretty much have converted the iPod touch into an iPhone. While Bluetooth maybe a possibility, BATTERY LIFE is easily feasible and Flash storage increases will come soon. Maybe not September, that is if the touch is even updated.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jul 25, 2008, 10:40 PM
GPS for sure will be added.

andybno1
Jul 26, 2008, 08:36 AM
GPS for sure will be added.

why will it? where is your proof it will?

aaquib
Jul 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
why will it? where is your proof it will?

There's no proof, but the Touch is following the "iPhone without the phone" very closely so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Apple selling an iPod with Wifi, GPS, 16-64GB, and all starting at $199. That'll definitely grow the music player market, which is exactly what Apple wants. People are tired of the same old iPod Nano or Classic. The Touch is the future.

muldul
Jul 26, 2008, 10:40 AM
I agree that september/ august is a likely time for an update.

iMacmatician
Jul 26, 2008, 10:50 AM
There's no proof, but the Touch is following the "iPhone without the phone" very closely so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Apple selling an iPod with Wifi, GPS, 16-64GB, and all starting at $199. The iPod touch has neither a camera or speakers.

I expect a capacity bump or a price drop in the upcoming update.

touch-wannabe
Jul 27, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't really want a phone -- but I would love the mobile wireless internet capability, GPS and other goodies in the new iPhone. Why not create a new touch which can gain access to AT&T or someone's elses 3G network (Verizon are you listening?) for data only?? After all, the marginal cost of adding another user to the network (particularly off peak) is close to $0 and it's an easy way for a carrier to pick up some added revenue.

I bet I'm not the only misanthrope out there who doesn't really want to talk to anyone very often but would love the kind of wireless access to data which the iPhone promises (I'm not sure it provides it yet!).

itsm3cmg
Jul 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think it would be cool if they added a stylus and still have it really only skin sensitive. Like that one stylus that was mentioned a while back.

Polish97
Jul 27, 2008, 09:00 PM
Slightly off topic,

Does Apple's non-involvement with full spectrum Bluetooth lead me to believe that WiFi will replace BT.

A small WiFi footprint could replace BT. Think of headsets and the such being wifi instead of BT.

Azurael
Jul 27, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think it would be cool if they added a stylus and still have it really only skin sensitive. Like that one stylus that was mentioned a while back.

One thing I've never felt was missing from my iPhone is a stylus. The only controls which are too small to press with fingers I've found have been on web-pages, where I can just double tap to zoom to the control anyway...

Polish97
Jul 28, 2008, 02:09 AM
The iPod started as a music player only.

Then evolved to music and video and games.

The iPod Touch, started as a media player with web surfing options.

Then it evolved into a multi-touch playground, productive and playful.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2709762416_b28fd3cf4a.jpg?v=0

The next iPod Touch will be larger by 1.5x the style will not change allowing a continuity between the old and the new.

480 x 320 made to 720 x 480

The larger version of the touch screen will still use the older apps from the app store with a lower resolution on the larger screen.

The larger screen is mainly for web browsing. with the larger screen reading on the device will be much easier.

Upgrades include:
- 720 x 480 screen
- Larger battery for longer usage.
- 32gb or 64gb memory
- bluetooth
- IR remote sensor (why not)

This is my hope and dream for the next iPod Touch.

danimal99
Jul 28, 2008, 03:27 AM
Who'd want to carry that though? It's not practical. My Touch currently fits in my pocket just right, and I can't imagine people wanting to carry something even 50% larger.

phalewhale
Jul 28, 2008, 04:39 AM
Who'd want to carry that though? It's not practical. My Touch currently fits in my pocket just right, and I can't imagine people wanting to carry something even 50% larger.

I'd second that. I'd rather have my iPod in my pocket and carry an apple equivalent of the really small laptops like the HP mini note and EeePC in my bag. A device of the size you mention might fit into my combat pocket but I'd be too concerned about it getting smashed in!

Polish97
Jul 28, 2008, 05:59 AM
I hear what your saying a large screen won't fit in you pocket but how often would you be using this just walk around? It's taking a step closer to the star trek pad that is carried.

I tend to carry my iPod or have it on my desk so I can skip songs quickly. This would easily fit in your hand and weigh less than half a pound.

Seems like a fair tradeoff. Pocket for screen size, but that's just me...

Phakebrill...Does anarchy rulez?

phalewhale
Jul 28, 2008, 06:48 AM

It most definately should...

phalewhale
Jul 28, 2008, 06:48 AM

It most definitely should...

dasikes
Jul 28, 2008, 08:04 AM
Alright, I've heard a lot of "Wants" from Apple for the Touch, and I can perhaps see many of them happening, no matter how ridiculous they are, and how slight the chances are (I want many of them, too :p),

I have to say, though, what's with all the asking for 3G support? Of all the wants for the iPod Touch, that has to be the least likely addition in the future. Agree? Disagree?

Polish97
Jul 28, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have to say, though, what's with all the asking for 3G support? Of all the wants for the iPod Touch, that has to be the least likely addition in the future. Agree? Disagree?

I agree completely. I thought the 3G network is only available to paying customers of the ATT/T-Mobile/GSM network.

It would change the entire internals of the device to add a sim card to be able to use the network.

Pipe dreams of some. An iPhone with only a data plan, I thought that was only available to the Deaf community. (And they would rather have a better keyboard.)

dasikes
Jul 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
An iPhone with only a data plan, I thought that was only available to the Deaf community. (And they would rather have a
better keyboard.)

WOW. Clever!

dasikes
Jul 28, 2008, 10:39 AM

The next iPod Touch will be larger by 1.5x the style will not change allowing a continuity between the old and the new.

The larger version of the touch screen will still use the older apps from the app store with a lower resolution on the larger screen.

The larger screen is mainly for web browsing. with the larger screen reading on the device will be much easier.

Upgrades include:
- 720 x 480 screen
- 32gb or 64gb memory
- bluetooth

Maybe as another device, but this would never replace the Touch. As it has been said, simply because of the size. However, if it were hailed as another device, with movies and web as the focus, perhaps!

4DThinker
Jul 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have to say, though, what's with all the asking for 3G support? Of all the wants for the iPod Touch, that has to be the least likely addition in the future. Agree? Disagree?I don't think 3G specifically is what we want. With so many apps relying on a web connection for data, what the Touch needs is ANY form of "everywhere" internet connection.

I think it could be done for free (no monthly fee). The Kindle (ebook reader from Amazon) has built-in cell phone data/internet access for no monthly charge. It is "payed for" by Amazon with the profits from ebooks users pay for and download directly. They borrowed the idea from Apple's iTunes app that allows Touch or iPhone owners to download music directly. Their model seems to be working. For what it's worth, I can also browse the web on my wife's Kindle, no matter where I am.

Athough a growing percentage of the world is gaining wifi access to the internet, there is still a majority of the possible market out there that wouldn't know how to connect their Touch to wifi if they had it in their own home. Stick ubiquitous internet on the Touch and free it from wifi, and Apple's profits from each one will soar. 30% from each app, and whatever the profit from each song is should be enough to oversee the connection cost.

How do I know this? My wife has a Kindle, and has already bought more than $300 worth of ebooks for it. It is easy. Amazon is making enough money they even lowered the price of new Kindles. I was just at a family reunion. I met 4 other relatives that had Touches. Not a single one was aware there was a 2.0 update, Apps they could download, or that it would connect to wifi. They had never used safari and didn't even understand why it was there. Yet every one of them had wifi routers in their homes. These were highly educated adults, from college age to 50. I also met 3 relatives with iPhones. They all knew about 2.0, the 3G iPhone, Apps, and were regular safari users. Why? Because the network connection on the iPhone is ubiquitous and easy.

dasikes
Jul 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
For what it's worth, I can also browse the web on my wife's Kindle, no matter where I am.

Wait, you can browse the web from the Kindle????

4DThinker
Jul 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
Wait, you can browse the web from the Kindle????Yes. It's not pretty (grayscale) or fun, but in an ice storm with the power out it proved to be VERY useful as my ONLY access to the web.

fbboi999
Jul 28, 2008, 03:42 PM

Upgrades include:
- 720 x 480 screen
- 32gb or 64gb memory
- bluetooth

Next iPod Touch? No... I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have something along the lines of a MacBook Touch than that thing. I personally think that's ugly, and if it's marketed as the next iPod Touch, it's totally impractical. If you're gonna make something that big, why not give it more features? There's plenty I'm sure they could add.

I think it could be done for free (no monthly fee). The Kindle (ebook reader from Amazon) has built-in cell phone data/internet access for no monthly charge. It is "payed for" by Amazon with the profits from ebooks users pay for and download directly

They could probably fund it with the 30% (is that the right stat?) they get from Apps.

4DThinker
Jul 28, 2008, 04:51 PM
Yes. 30% is what Apple gets out of the price paid for any app. It covers their credit card fees, hosting the app and providing access, and of course profit.

dasikes
Jul 28, 2008, 05:21 PM
4D, that's all very interesting! Thanks!