Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
My refurb Mac mini arrived today, along with my order of 2GB RAM from Amazon. So I figure "hey, just upgrade it now and be done with it." So I go about cracking open the case using a thin putty knife, being ever so careful, and I've got three sides pryed up, and I'm in good shape. I give it a tug to get the rest of the case off and then I hear it: A small rattling in the partially dislodged case. I get the rest of it off and something falls to the floor. I frantically search around and discover a small electronic piece with pins, now slightly bent.

Long story short, after a loud explitive likely heard throughout the neighborhood, it appears that I've ripped off the LED light for the Combo drive. It appears that piece is glued on and merely contacts the small board screwed to the front of the drive.

Did I break it for good? I'm contemplating trying to super glue the piece back on and give it a try. Any issues with having no drive light in front in case I can't fix it?

I'm sick about the whole thing.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
You may want to try to post some pictures of the damaged part and where it was damaged so somebody can provide some information about how to fix it.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
Well it's not as big of deal - I finished the RAM upgrade and re-assembled. I super-glued the piece back on and tried to line up the contacts. It was glued on in the first place and the case lid must have raked it off when I took it off. Fired it up and everything works and the machine recognizes the 2GB of RAM. I figured it was a light - so that's the IR sensor? I'll try it out and see.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Well it's not as big of deal - I finished the RAM upgrade and re-assembled. I super-glued the piece back on and tried to line up the contacts. It was glued on in the first place and the case lid must have raked it off when I took it off.

Generally glue is not used to conduct electricity. Superglue will not and if you glued it on it likely is acting as an insulator.

I've had mine apart for memory upgrades and am at a loss as to how you broke it off.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
Well fortunately I'm not alone because I did see reference to someone else who did the same thing. I also don't think it was glued on very well.

As for the glue issue, yes, I understand the conductive properties (or lack thereof) of CA. In this particular part's case, the glue simply holds the piece to the board allowing the pins to make contact with the appropriate contacts on the board (at least that's what it appears).

Again, not a big deal because this is not an HTPC and I will likely be sitting at the machine whenever I'm using it. At some point I will fix it with a replacement, but it is not a priority.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I've also broken the little thing next to the combo drive. Its actually not a light, its the IR sensor. The first time I opened my mini it got caught and snapped off. You can buy a new one from some suppliers, but they are pretty expensive.

I dont use IR so its not a problem for me. The mini still works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.