PDA

View Full Version : Arn on MacBreak Weekly Podcast

arn
Jul 23, 2008, 10:59 PM
http://twit.tv/mbw99

I was on this week's MacBreak Weekly podcast, if you want to hear me talking about rumors, Apple, iPhone etc...

arn

MacDawg
Jul 23, 2008, 11:00 PM
Excellent arn!

Can't wait to check it out!

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

Eidorian
Jul 23, 2008, 11:01 PM
I haven't been listening to them for a few weeks. Looks like there's a reason now. :rolleyes:

Me1000
Jul 23, 2008, 11:12 PM
I would love it if you were on there more. One of the horrid things about MBW is that most of the time everyone is talking out of their butt!

I have faith in you Arn that you know what is going on in the world of Apple. :)

iToaster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:19 PM
Your becoming quite the celebrity Arn, first the New York Times and now MacBreak.

Doctor Q
Jul 24, 2008, 12:52 AM
Apple Legal called you at 2 in the morning!?

That means those lawyers were being paid overtime!

GGJstudios
Jul 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
I just listened to that podcast.... very interesting! Way to go, arn!

Let's see.... NYTimes (print), TWiT (broadcasting)..... ok, so when does "MacRumors: The Movie" come out? :D

Doctor Q
Jul 24, 2008, 01:11 AM
ok, so when does "MacRumors: The Movie" come out? :DHere it is.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37241It played only in very small theaters.

GGJstudios
Jul 24, 2008, 01:13 AM
Here it is.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37241It played only in very small theaters.

Not much for dialogue, but what ACTION!!!! ROTFL!!! Definitely a candidate for IMAX!

Hey! Wait a minute!!! Since that's the MacRumors logo, does that mean we all have "wormy" Apples?

bobbleheadbob
Jul 24, 2008, 04:37 AM
iTunes just downloaded this week's podcast for me. This is one of several that I try to catch each week. Separately, most of those guys drive me nuts, but together it seems to work better somehow. Going to listen on my commute today. :D

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2008, 10:09 AM
arn you should be on there more often. I had given up on MacBreak Weekly for the past month but you brought my interest back to it.

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 24, 2008, 11:14 AM
That's great! I have a lot of podcasts to catch up on. But I'll be sure to listen to that one right away!

Manic Mouse
Jul 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
Excellent work Arn, you came off very well! :D

iJohnHenry
Jul 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
Geez, it is ever windy here.

I think I just saw arn's head float by.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/terical.gif

longofest
Jul 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
Nice work Arn.

nintapple
Jul 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
I enjoyed your expertise on the macbreak weekly podcast. However, your speech patterns got EXTREMELY annoying. Every 5 seconds you would say "..you know..". "Well obviously you know, ipod updates, you know, are going to be coming, well, soon". The fillers greatly distracted the actual content of what you said.

arn
Jul 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
I enjoyed your expertise on the macbreak weekly podcast. However, your speech patterns got EXTREMELY annoying. Every 5 seconds you would say "..you know..". "Well obviously you know, ipod updates, you know, are going to be coming, well, soon". The fillers greatly distracted the actual content of what you said.

Ya... nervous tick I suppose for knowing I was being recorded. I cringed when I heard it on playback and am a bit embarrased by it. It got better during and if I do a podcast again, I'll be far more conscious of it.

I don't actually speak like that in day-to-day conversation. :)

arn

GGJstudios
Jul 25, 2008, 01:30 PM
It's too bad that celebrity brings out the critics!

aross99
Jul 25, 2008, 02:52 PM
Ya... nervous tick I suppose for knowing I was being recorded. I cringed when I heard it on playback and am a bit embarrased by it. It got better during and if I do a podcast again, I'll be far more conscious of it.

arn

I thought you were fine. Don't worry about it...

rogersmj
Jul 25, 2008, 03:27 PM

arn

Re: nervous, that's understandable...I was the one that Twittered about the "ya' know"s (rogersmj (http://twitter.com/rogersmj)) while I was listening to the show, then felt bad when I thought about it later! Anyone might do that if they're not used to being on a show. I still yell at my car radio occasionally while listening to Alex Lindsey start but not finish 12 sentences in a row ("GET ON WITH IT!") when he's on MBW, LOL ;)

Honestly, I enjoyed hearing from you on the show. One thing about MacBreak Weekly is that they tend not to have very many guests, so the show can get kind of stale. Having you on was great because it turned the conversation in a different direction and got everyone out of their box, at least a little bit. I enjoyed finding out that you quit a medical practice to do web work...that'll be a good one to tell to the occasional relative that screws up their face when I explain what my job is. :D Keep doing podcasts, you'll be a master in no time.

EricNau
Jul 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
This was my first time listening to MacBreak Weekly (my first mac-centric podcast, in fact) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, without you, Arn, I can imagine it would become quite static.

I listened to the prior episode as well and it's quite clear that they need someone intimately familiar with the world of Apple on their panel. I wonder who that could be... ;)

thechidz
Jul 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
Dr. Arn eh? nice:cool:

jeremy.king
Jul 28, 2008, 01:45 PM
Arn, you did a great job integrating into Twit. I hope they invite you more often, it's refreshing especially after the lame Apple bash fest called Episode 98.

Any intentions to get into podcasting with MR, Dr. Kim :)?

Me1000
Jul 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
Arn, you did a great job integrating into Twit. I hope they invite you more often, it's refreshing especially after the lame Apple bash fest called Episode 98.

Any intentions to get into podcasting with MR, Dr. Kim :)?

I like that idea! A MacRumors podcast would be great because you know what you are talking about, you know who the credible sources are, you know exactly what the problems with certain things are...

Now that you quite your day job...

;)

twoodcc
Jul 28, 2008, 10:30 PM
thanks for sharing Arn. i'll check it out

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
Great job arn - you were way better than Leo!

SFStateStudent
Jul 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
Ya... nervous tick I suppose for knowing I was being recorded. I cringed when I heard it on playback and am a bit embarrased by it. It got better during and if I do a podcast again, I'll be far more conscious of it. I don't actually speak like that in day-to-day conversation. :) arn

Don't worry about it arn, those are normal disfluencies and they occur quite often and probably directly relates to a person's anxiety level. The more podcasts you do, the more relaxed you'll become. The podcast seems "off the cuff" and too many personalities vying for "the question," so I can see how difficult it is to concentrate and have your response prepared. I know when I'm being videotaped or recorded for a podcast or radio broadcast, I tend to talk slower, and develop pauses before I begin talking about something I consider to be very important. It's weird, b/c I feel like I don't have control over it, and I put more pressure on myself. Like I said earlier, it gets better with experience. I like the idea of MR Podcasts on a regular basis. Good job arn...:cool:

redgaz26
Jul 30, 2008, 05:21 PM
good job arn. I listen to macbreak every week and like it more when they have a "special guest"
a while ago they had the drummer from weezer on, he was a bit of a mac fan and talked about downloading music etc, they also have iJustine on sometimes but that would be better as a video podcast:)

FloatingBones
Sep 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Arn is back on MacBreak Weekly this week! Audio-only is here (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/macbreak-weekly-265-machickamadoodle/id179237749?i=97426422) HD Video version is here (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/macbreak-weekly-265-machickamadoodle/id359518214?i=97431391). Go to those pages and select episode 265.

With the rumored iPhone and iPod Touch releases, this was a great time to have Arn on the show. Leo's production values have improved tremendously over the past year on the video side. All the shows now have a producer doing the camera cuts (which include video out form Leo's Mac). There were a bunch of cuts of Leo referencing the MR site.

Doctor Q
Sep 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
There were a bunch of cuts of Leo referencing the MR site.
He made it clear that he's quite a fan of the MacRumors site and particularly arn's ability to interpret rumors.

rhett7660
Sep 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sweet. I run one to two weeks behind so I have something to look forward. I don't mind the usual group, Andy, Leo and Alex. However I like it when they bring in others. I really like Merlin Mann when they have him on there and the guy from Big Nerd Ranch. Good stuff.

Can't wait to listen~!

Congrats on being asked to join the show for the week. Pretty darn cool!

SandboxGeneral
Sep 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
Cool! I'm downloading the video podcast now and will stream it from my iMac to my ATV2 and onto my HDTV! :D

R94N
Sep 22, 2011, 09:33 AM
Great! I love the TWiT shows and am a big fan of both the network and Leo. I just synced that episode over to my iPod, so I'll be listening in a minute.

Tilpots
Sep 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
Great job, Arn. It was like MR Frontpage was the script for the show! Maybe that was intentional, because you were the guest, but I'd get one of these new mods over to iTunes and watch the other 264 shows to be sure you shouldn't sue for infringement. ;)

ImNoSuperMan
Sep 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
Wow. Almost missed it coz I dont really follow the forums as much as I used to. I certainly would have appreciated if arn plugged it on the Mac Blog (if not the Front Page). Anyways, good show. Arn was great but still kinda funny that the founder of MR couldnt find a decent enough camera to hook up with his mac pro and had to do use the iPhone cam (which didnt really result in great quality video but I guess skype had more to do with it instead of iPhone cam).

There is something I didnt understand. @1:26:42 mark, Andy talked about a lion tip where you can copy and paste files and folders from one finder window to another using CMD+C and CMD+V. He claimed it was a lion exclusive and SL didnt support it. I'm using SL and this shortcut works for me and I can swear I've used it in both tiger and leopard. So what am I missing here? :confused:

Btw, I agree with arn's pick, YoruFukurou (http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/yorufukurou/id428834068?mt=12). Definitely the best twitter app for mac.

FloatingBones
Sep 25, 2011, 06:06 PM
Wow. Almost missed it coz I dont really follow the forums as much as I used to. I certainly would have appreciated if arn plugged it on the Mac Blog (if not the Front Page).

I actually sent it in as a tip. I suggested that the editor put it on the iOS Blog: the episode was essentially a State of the Union address of iOS devices and iOS 5.

I agree with you, but I understand why Arn would be reluctant to promote his appearance on the show.

Anyways, good show. Arn was great but still kinda funny that the founder of MR couldnt find a decent enough camera to hook up with his mac pro and had to do use the iPhone cam (which didnt really result in great quality video but I guess skype had more to do with it instead of iPhone cam).

The image was OK when Arn was blocking the outside window. When the sunlight was visible, the camera altered the contrast. Andy is on video podcasts weekly; he knows how to tune his image. Arn would be good if he did podcasts regularly. Arn looked good where it counted: he handled everything Leo discussed with flying colors. :cool:

There is something I didnt understand. @1:26:42 mark, Andy talked about a lion tip where you can copy and paste files and folders from one finder window to another using CMD+C and CMD+V. He claimed it was a lion exclusive and SL didnt support it. I'm using SL and this shortcut works for me and I can swear I've used it in both tiger and leopard. So what am I missing here? :confused:

I just tried copy and paste of a single file on 10.6.8. It worked just fine.

I tweeted Andy and asked him whazzup with his tip. I didn't see him reply to anyone yet about this on his twitter stream. I also asked on the twit.tv disqus page for the episode. If I see a response, I'll relay it here.

arn
Sep 25, 2011, 10:24 PM
The image was OK when Arn was blocking the outside window. When the sunlight was visible, the camera altered the contrast. Andy is on video podcasts weekly; he knows how to tune his image. Arn would be good if he did podcasts regularly. Arn looked good where it counted: he handled everything Leo discussed with flying colors. :cool:

Ya, it didn't occur to me that I needed video until 15 minutes prior to the record time. My MBA wasn't available, and my Mac Pro has a 30" ACD.

arn