Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ug.mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Vancouver, B.C
So I picked up a Jawbone 2 from Costco today, to be honest, I'm impressed with its noise cancellation feature, but incoming sound quality just as bad as a $2 earbud. In no noise area like indoor, Jawbone 2 outgoing sound not even as clear as Moto H800 slider which cost me C$20 brand new.

I bought Jawbone 2 because it have really impressive reviews pretty much from everywhere I've checked, everything else on the market are like 'not even close to Jawbone' in most reviewer's eyes. Maybe Jawbone sold in US are different than in Canada, otherwise I can't convince myself why so much difference when come to real world test.

I'm going to return this Jawbone for sure, but what else I should try? Apple iPhone bluetooth headset? Plantronics Voyager 520/Discovery 925?

Thanks

ug.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
No to every headset you listed. They are all far worse than what you are experiencing with the Jawbone 2 which i dont agree with. The apple headset it just caca. bad static, horrible range etc. I actually exchanged it for the jawbone 2. I have tested my jawbone 2 indoor and outdoor in various conditions, in car with windows open and everyone hears me fine and i hear them fine as well. its unmatched right now in quality by any headset. Maybe you got a bad jawbone, but i suggest reconsidering. theres a reason why its the best reviewed headset out from numerous sources.

ug.mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Vancouver, B.C
Everyone I've called today can't tell the difference between H800 and Jawbone 2 when I'm calling from home, some of them even said H800 sound better (clear). None of them having problem hearing me and I can hear them with no problem too. When driving with window down Jawbone 2 did screened most of noise so that's impressive but incoming sound quality still very bad compare to H800.

ug.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
I just picked up the Plantronics 925 last night, tried it out today, and while the sound quality and range were excellent... I got this very annoying ECHO in the earpiece - I could hear my own voice right in the headset. This is with the iPhone 3G... I'm gonna try rebooting the phone later and see if that makes any difference, otherwise it's going back to the store!

Also tried the Jabra BT8040 this week... I really wanted to like this one because it's so TINY, has a simple big button in the middle, and seemed very well made. However, the volume was way too quiet, even with the thing on max, I could barely hear the other person while using it indoors, would probably be useless in a car. That went back to the store.

Apple BT headset - Dannyar is correct, gets a ton of static, bad range, poor battery life, but I used it for about 10 months because it was convenient to charge with the travel cable. Don't use it anymore.

Next up, I want to try the Jawbone2... I actually have the Jawbone1 and it was terrible... uncomfortable, bulky fit, bad static, mediocre sound quality. I've read that Jawbone2 has been improved... the site reviews are almost always good, but the user reviews tend to be on the negative side, which is kind of strange. I'll probably take a gamble on it though, and if it sucks, then back to the store as well.

I swear, I'm not being picky, lol... ;)
But all these BT headsets... they always fall short in some way, whether it's the design, sound quality, range, etc. No one can seem to get it 100% right.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2006
Check out the Plantronics 520. It may look a tad nerdish, but its got excellent sound quality, especially what you can hear on your end. Much better than the first gen Jawbone I had.

Cheap too, $45 or less.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Check out the Plantronics 520. It may look a tad nerdish, but its got excellent sound quality, especially what you can hear on your end. Much better than the first gen Jawbone I had.

Cheap too, $45 or less.
+1 That's what I have, and have no complaints. I wish it were smaller, but it works.

Also, I have very small ears and ear canals, and it's comfortable for me to wear for hours on end.

ug.mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Vancouver, B.C
Thanks for all the info guys, I will pick up a 520 tomorrow, if possible I will upload sample sound clips with my H800, Jawbone 2 and Plantronic 520 later, for anyone who may interested. :cool:

ug.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Dude try the blueant Z9i very comfortable and the voice clarity us just awesome.

Semo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Another vote for the BlueAnt Z9i. I have had one for around 3 months and it is great. Order mine from Global Computer. They had a better price than Best Buy.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I picked up the sennheiser VMX100 form the apples store and must say one thing: All of you folks that rave on the Jawbone; I seriously wonder whats the hype behind it. The Jawbone 1 was mediocre sound quality and the Jawbone 2 is worse. the sound sounds like someone is talking through a pipe.

Yes I totally agree that the jawbone 2 looks cool and stuff but when the usability factor goes, I'm currently satisfied with the sennheiser vmx100.

My plan for today.

Return Jawbone 2
Keep Sennheiser VMX100 and buy Plantronics Discovery 925 to see if its better than the Sennheiser.

I've tried Sennheiser products and they are built quiet superior.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
I've had a fantastic experience with the Jawbone 2 so far...the noise cancellation technology and I've got better audio quality from it than any other headset I've ever had.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
If you are willing to shell out the cash for the Bang and Olufsen Bluetooth Earset 2, it would probably be a great headset. I don't know anyone with one, but it seems to get great reviews.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I've had the Jawbone 1 and the Jawbone 2 -- the Jawbone 2 has a better form factor and sound quality but still sucks imho. I find that even after turning it off it seems to randomly turn itself on and relink to the phone -- disconcerting when you are talking to someone without your Jawbone on and suddenly you can't hear them through the phone.

Sound cancellation works some of the time, other times completely garbled. I've tested this by calling my landline and leaving voicemail messages.

It's nice and small, but volume is barely adequate. It is better than the Apple one, to be sure, but voice quality is still poor.

These bluetooth headsets -- I've had many of them -- they are a mixed bag in terms of the tradeoff between sound quality and the hands-free convenience that they offer. IMHO bluetooth headsets make very little sense with iPhones since without voice dialing much of their so-called convenience factor is lost -- you still have to take out your phone to call anyone. A complete nuisance.

IMHO Jawbone 2 is unimpressive and expensive to boot. I almost never use it -- sound quality is too poor, and without voice dialing, the utility just isn't really there for me. I don't quite understand why reviews have been so positive -- nothing like random pairing with your phone to make you want to stomp on it!

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
If you're THAT picky about sound quality, and you're still not satisfied with what most people regard as one of the very best, perhaps Bluetooth isn't for you; there's several decent iPhone wired stereo headsets with mic and answer/hang up buttons, which can do everything the Bluetooth headset does better (except of course waste battery life). THe only disadvantage really is the wire, if that bothers you. Also Target sells this Philips 9.99 adapter that has the built-in mic and clicker that you can use with any headphone you like. Or hell, just wear the standard included iPhone earbuds.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I love my Plantronic 520. It has great sound and can be married to 2 cellphones at once.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I love my Plantronic 520. It has great sound and can be married to 2 cellphones at once.

Now that has some excellent awkward conversation potential.

IFBB Pro

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Guys- I have the Jawbone 1 and i can't get it to pair with my 3G iPhone.
Could someone please assist?

Tks

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.