PDA

View Full Version : 5000 Active Members!

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 06:00 PM
MacRumors has officially reached 5000 active members! If you check the main forum page on the top left you will see "Members" and to its right, a number greater than or = 5000.

Man, this site is becoming popular fast!

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on 500 post signature and avatar...

sphereboy
May 19, 2002, 06:12 PM
it seems to be one of the best sites out there KingCobra.

Two thumbs up on my part :D

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 06:14 PM
Truly a good sign for MacRumors and assurance of its continued respect in the Mac universe in general. Congrats Arn!:D

menoinjun
May 19, 2002, 06:21 PM
I think the best thing about this site is how it has grown. It's not just for rumors anymore, but for mac help, and even for selling/trading gear. To succeed, you must change, and good for ARN for keeping up with what we want.

-Pete

Proud to be a longstanding but low-post count member.

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 07:32 PM
5000 x $35 is.....??? haha.

dare to dream i guess.

how many of the 5000 have more than say... 5 posts?

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
how many of the 5000 have more than say... 5 posts?

A quick check on the members board and I come up with only 863 members have 5 or more posts. Not sure that actually means anything.

But the average number of posts per member 5000 members, 65,000 posts is 13.

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 08:07 PM
There are at least 766 posters on the forums with 6 posts or more.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/memberlist.php3?s=&action=getall&what=topposters&ltr=&perpage=10&orderby=posts&ausername=&ahomepage=&aicq=&aaim=&ayahoo=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=&postslower=0&postsupper=0&direction=DESC&pagenumber=77

The logic is that each page, going from those with the most posts to those with the least posts, represents 10 members. Since there are 77 pages with at least 6 posts per person, and page 77 has 6 members with 6 posts, take (77 - 1)10 + 6 = 766.

Interesting.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on avatar and new signature...

spuncan
May 19, 2002, 08:36 PM
Right w/ u ptrauber registered round the same time as u and also have a low post count. Im begining to like all the recent change to this page. I know this would be alot of work for Arn and Dukestreet but I'd really like to see a make over to the main page to something more futuristic or modern like a Aqua interface. I think the current scheme has been round since the begining (maybe im wrong) I sure everyone here would be willing to pitch in and make the site look better.

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
I know this would be alot of work for Arn and Dukestreet but I'd really like to see a make over to the main page to something more futuristic or modern like a Aqua interface.

dukey, you got powers i don't know of up in this piece????

or was spunc thinking of blakespot?....

i think duke's taking over. first massive posts, then making everyone's avatars... what next?! ha

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 08:57 PM

i think duke's taking over. first massive posts, then making everyone's avatars... what next?! ha

Ha, next the world baby!:D

Just for the record, I've done all the 'tars because they're fun, not because I have any formal responsibilities with the site. Arn has talked to all the Demi-Gods about some make over issues, and I've put my 2 in, even coming up with some icons for the main page together with Rower_CPU.

I imagine you'll see some changes spuncan, they won't happen all at once, but they will happen. MacRumors no nonsense approach to its layout and design is actually appealing in many ways, focusing on discussion and community, not on the graphics and geewiz factor. Besides, it allows for faster pageloads and less bandwidth usage. If you've been around during some of the major Apple announcements, the server get clogged once in a while.

jefhatfield mentioned something about this happening, I didn't really think too much of it at the time. Oh, well.

D

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ha, next the world baby!:D

Just for the record, I've done all the 'tars because they're fun, not because I have any formal responsibilities with the site. Arn has talked to all the Demi-Gods about some make over issues, and I've put my 2 in, even coming up with some icons for the main page together with Rower_CPU.
D

yeah, i knew you did it for fun.

i poke fun at you for... fun. of course you don't usually laugh, so i wonder why i bother sometimes... ahhh

i like some of the new icons... the ? one and such. word.

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 09:07 PM
poke fun at me

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
poke fun at me

you damn freak. if i were on my own computer and not my parents' i'd throw in a funny picture of my own. but. oh well.

glad you enjoy the fun poking more than old man duke... haha.

eyelikeart
May 19, 2002, 09:53 PM
poke fun at me

oh my god!!! do u have a high resolution image of that?! :D :eek:

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 10:03 PM

i poke fun at you for... fun. of course you don't usually laugh, so i wonder why i bother sometimes... ahhh

i like some of the new icons... the ? one and such. word.

I laugh all the time, I just don't do it on the forums, there's something about typing 'he he he he' that just isn't me. Mines a more sarcastic wit.

Ah, the '?' is new, but its not mine, don't know where arn got that. It needs to be cleaned up a bit, maybe I'll submit a new one and see if he likes it.

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 10:07 PM
I laugh all the time, I just don't do it on the forums, there's something about typing 'he he he he' that just isn't me. Mines a more sarcastic wit.

Ah, the '?' is new, but its not mine, don't know where arn got that. It needs to be cleaned up a bit, maybe I'll submit a new one and see if he likes it.

i'm quite sarcastic. i guess what i find myself doing is making a sarcastic joke on here, then typing haha or something to make it clear it's a joke, so as not to offend anyone.

so perhaps i have given you the wrong impression that i'm some type of goofy jokester when really i'm a cynical sarcastic bastard.

i didn't notice the details of the ? so it seemed good to me. i'll check it out and see what you're referring to.

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 10:23 PM
If I had done it, it would have most likely been in 3D, this is a mock up of a 3D image done in Photoshop probably. The shadow isn't quite right and even though the ? has a 'bumped' surface, it doesn't have any depth to its edges.

Just a few minor things.

An aqua version of the ? would be cool, I'll have to try that and see what it looks like.

eyelikeart
May 19, 2002, 10:46 PM
I don't know if I'd like the site to have an aqua interface...

as it is already...the Apple site is....and there are a few other sites who sport it...

plus I use OS X on my TiBook...

can u say overkill? :eek:

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

oh my god!!! do u have a high resolution image of that?! :D :eek:

im sorry i dont...that all i got.

but anyways... heheh

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 10:50 PM

you damn freak. if i were on my own computer and not my parents' i'd throw in a funny picture of my own. but. oh well.

glad you enjoy the fun poking more than old man duke... haha.

hot damn...snowflake kitty.

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 10:58 PM

hot damn...snowflake kitty.

one scary freaking cat.

eyelikeart
May 19, 2002, 11:07 PM

im sorry i dont...that all i got.

but anyways... heheh

damn...oh well... :(

where did u find it though??

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 11:09 PM
damn...oh well... :(

where did u find it though??

that's the beauty of it... it's a self portrait! haha!

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 09:07 AM
I don't know if I'd like the site to have an aqua interface...

Not an aqua interface, that would be over kill. But aqua references, look at the new apple logo arn's using. Nothing fancy, just tasteful.

eyelikeart
May 20, 2002, 09:12 AM

Not an aqua interface, that would be over kill. But aqua references, look at the new apple logo arn's using. Nothing fancy, just tasteful.

well...not a total makeover...but a few details here & there...

but if the buttons were to become aqua...it would look unfinished if the rest of the site were not..

btw duke...nice icons in the private forum ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 09:31 AM
I don't think the buttons will go aqua, they're the standard form buttons. But that's something to talk to arn about. A simple gradient even would make a huge difference, but it would require rewriting a lot of the page generation code in vBulletin, not a fun job.

We should discuss this in the private forum where there is already a thread.

D

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 09:48 AM
We should discuss this in the private forum where there is already a thread.

yeah that's right! don't let us jerks out here who haven't paid yet help...

you bloody bastards...

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 09:54 AM

yeah that's right! don't let us jerks out here who haven't paid yet help...

you bloody bastards...

Your lack of support is the only thing holding you back. Sorry, no sympathy here.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 09:58 AM
Your lack of support is the only thing holding you back. Sorry, no sympathy here.

haha. so you wouldn't be such a sour old man to me if i paid up eh?

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:00 AM
Now when have I been a sour old man?

I'm not old, I'm 37!

Whohoo, must be my day for Python Quotes!

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 10:02 AM
Now when have I been a sour old man?

I'm not old, I'm 37!

Whohoo, must be my day for Python Quotes!

aww, bloody hell!

when have you NOT been a sour old man?

et tu brute?

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:07 AM
when have you NOT been a sour old man?

Just because I don't type HaHaHaHa or hehehehehe all the time? Sheesh, I've used my share of smilies, and even added a few extra, but for some reason they don't work any more, don't know why.

See

http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/bouncy1.gif

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:09 AM
See that just doesn't make sense, it just an image and should be in line with text. I could always add it at the end, but when I want to do a bunch I can't. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 10:14 AM
Just because I don't type HaHaHaHa or hehehehehe all the time? Sheesh, I've used my share of smilies, and even added a few extra, but for some reason they don't work any more, don't know why.

See

http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/bouncy1.gif

the problem is, this keyboard doesn't allow for much creativity with these things. or rather, expression.

what i mean is, as i've said, i don't really like the "hahaha" bits, or LOL, or even the smilies. but if i don't use em, who knows what someone might think.... i didn't with the sour old man thing, and you kinda got the joke i think. or at least didn't get offended...

as for YOUR smilies. get over yourself.

i'm not putting anything after that.....

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:23 AM

as for YOUR smilies. get over yourself.

I never implied that I made them, I posted a whole thread with all of them, because so many people wanted them, and I gave full credit to where I got them. They were mine in the sense that I had to put them on my website to get them to be posted inline with the text.

I give credit where credit is due, and never pass of someone elses work for my own.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 10:31 AM
I never implied that I made them, I posted a whole thread with all of them, because so many people wanted them, and I gave full credit to where I got them. They were mine in the sense that I had to put them on my website to get them to be posted inline with the text.

I give credit where credit is due, and never pass of someone elses work for my own.

sarcasm.

i know you gave credt. i know you didn't make em. just joshing you.... "sheesh".

on the upside, i'm gonna go tlk to a local production company today about a job... whooo

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:38 AM

on the upside, i'm gonna go tlk to a local production company today about a job... whooo

Very cool, good luck. Now your mom will be happy you're showing some initiative!

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 10:44 AM

Very cool, good luck. Now your mom will be happy you're showing some initiative!

haha. true dat.

you know me rather well then i guess.

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:46 AM

you know me rather well then i guess.

I'll just say observant. You've been going on for a week now about how your mom has been on your case to get a job. What sort of things do you think they'd use you for?

Macmaniac
May 20, 2002, 11:00 AM
There are 107 members who have 100 posts or more! I am happy to be in the top 35 posters!

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 11:03 AM
I'll just say observant. You've been going on for a week now about how your mom has been on your case to get a job. What sort of things do you think they'd use you for?

yeah. i guess i haven haven't i? well that's just cause if you know me or my mom, you know she's all about being "productive" so when i'm home it's tough to keep her happy. even if i'm being productive on my computer, doing graphics stuff... she still doesn't get it. i guess i should make something good, then show it to the family... hmm

the place, i don't really know. small small production place probably does weddings and all that. the guy said "so and so, the girl who helps me out isn't in today, so we can sit and talk and see some of your stuff..." so clearly it's like him and someone else. which could be good. i mean, the bad thing is that he wouldn't need/have the money to take on another person, but if he's given me this much hope, i guess there's something.

i'm guessing: editing, tape logging, possibly some filming... not sure.

now i just have to dig up some stuff to bring to show him i'm competent. hmmm

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 11:15 AM

yeah. i guess i haven haven't i? well that's just cause if you know me or my mom, you know she's all about being "productive" so when i'm home it's tough to keep her happy. even if i'm being productive on my computer, doing graphics stuff... she still doesn't get it. i guess i should make something good, then show it to the family... hmm

the place, i don't really know. small small production place probably does weddings and all that. the guy said "so and so, the girl who helps me out isn't in today, so we can sit and talk and see some of your stuff..."

Well there you go. If you need to, you can explain to your mom that you need to make a portfolio/demo reel and then you would have something to show to this production guy. Not to mention you'll be able to add the bounce short to that later this summer when we get it done.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 11:17 AM
Well there you go. If you need to, you can explain to your mom that you need to make a portfolio/demo reel and then you would have something to show to this production guy. Not to mention you'll be able to add the bounce short to that later this summer when we get it done.

word. i gotta get my computer re-set up now. as i'm on her imac...

i like the way you think/talk. "when we get it done". with me too often it's if... that's changing though!

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 11:30 AM

word. i gotta get my computer re-set up now. as i'm on her imac...

i like the way you think/talk. "when we get it done". with me too often it's if... that's changing though!

Well, to put the pressure on, its not a matter of if for me. It might be a matter of if for you. I'm going to do it this summer regardless of whether I do it solo or not. Does that help the motivation any? Besides, I've been itching to enter something into the Rosebud Festival, I don't care if it gets panned, its the first step.

Floss Gordon will rule one day.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 11:34 AM
Well, to put the pressure on, its not a matter of if for me. It might be a matter of if for you. I'm going to do it this summer regardless of whether I do it solo or not. Does that help the motivation any? Besides, I've been itching to enter something into the Rosebud Festival, I don't care if it gets panned, its the first step.

Floss Gordon will rule one day.

yeah, that motivates. and that's what i need basically. i've also thought about festivals (nyc ones mainly)... how much does it cost to enter rosebud?

so now, the flossing council... is that totally legit, as in, you are the vice pres and you want more people to floss? or what?

cleo
May 20, 2002, 11:41 AM

so now, the flossing council... is that totally legit, as in, you are the vice pres and you want more people to floss? or what?

I've often wondered the same thing. What IS up with the flossing site? I mean, it's funny and cool and all... but what's your fixation on dental health?

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cleo
I've often wondered the same thing. What IS up with the flossing site? I mean, it's funny and cool and all... but what's your fixation on dental health?

for both of you Cleo and Jello, a brief history of the National Flossing Council. If you want to find out more, go click on the link on the home page "Message From the President"

Way back in the 90s, Armand (President) Lione, was making paste ups of fake Flossing ads by cutting out pictures from a magazine and pasting them together, then video taping them to make them look 'real'. I had know Armand for a couple of years through frisbee, and I had just purchased my first mac and told him I could scan those images in and make it really look real and print out copies. I did it, he loved it, so then a need to spread the word was required, so I posted a National Flossing Council section on my website, dukestreet.com.

A year or so later, I found out that flossing.org was available, so he went out and registered it, got it hosted and I designed the pages, and generally worked on some of the creative concepts. We've had a long run of colaboration together over the years - check out the Blackhole section of dukestreet.com and dowload the BurningWheel of Fire video. It was my first 'movie' done with Premiere (which sucks compared to FCP). But I've come a long way since then.

Armand is the whole driving force behind the site, I'm just in it for fun. Floss Gordon is an off shoot of the whole thing: I need to do something on a grander scale to get a good animation in my portfolio, instead of the dry, technichal engineering movies I've been doing. But as for being Vice Pres, well, with the amount of effort and work I've put into it, I'm much more than a webmaster.

The whole concept, organization, is mostly just for fun, but we have gotten some press and we will likely get more in the future, so we might not take ourselves too seriously some times, we do take the work we do with importance. Besides, its nice having a cause to believe in.

'Help Spread Peace of Mouth' - what is 'Peace of Mouth', well to quote the President of the National Flossing Council "Peace of Mouth is something like peace of mind, but not as profound."

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 11:56 AM
haha.

you DO have a sense of humor!

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 11:59 AM
haha.

you DO have a sense of humor!

Of course man!

With character names for the Floss Gordon movie like

Dr. Chip Tartaroff
Mung Mouth
Dale Ardent
Jacque Placque
Ginger Vitus
Ruthless Ruth Canal
Citizen Novocaine

please....

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 12:11 PM
haha. sounds good.

did you see novocaine with steve martin? might get some inspiration... haha

my bro did a programming project in college of a monkey fight club, as per a simpsons episode... it was funny as crap.

i created a character of a ping pong star for a few of my projects. pretty funny.

keep up the funniness. stay away from the sourness.

Hemingray
May 20, 2002, 12:25 PM
I'd love to see everyone who's registered post a reply in this forum... we could easily reach a new reply record. :D (Which I'm sure arn would just LOVE... ;) )

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 12:29 PM
welp i'm off to get ready to meet with the production guy....

wish me luck!

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
I'd love to see everyone who's registered post a reply in this forum... we could easily reach a new reply record. :D (Which I'm sure arn would just LOVE... ;) )

There are only a few 1000 members who have even posted once. You'd never get 5000 posts to a thread.

OSeXy!
May 20, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
I hate gratuitous posting but... aw, what the hell. All in the name of setting a record (Arn will delete later, anyway)...;)

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by OSeXy!

I hate gratuitous posting but... aw, what the hell. All in the name of setting a record (Arn will delete later, anyway)...;)

Don't start that, bad idea. Leave the long threads to those that actually have something interesting to say. Look at the Mac and Politics V.2 thread? Its getting up there, so if you need to post, go there and add your 2.