Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
N.H. On Alert For Meningitis After Girl's Death

Four Other Teens Hospitalized With Disease.

"Just happened so fast, it's just unbelievable. It's hard to believe that a young girl that strong was taken," said Perry's father, Michael.

He took Rachel to Monadnock Community Hospital Christmas Eve morning. Doctors there did not detect meningitis and sent her home, but the next day her family found her unconscious.

"She was a healthy girl. She never had, she didn't have any history of any sickness. This thing just came and attacked and killed her," said Michael Perry.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2729054/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150112292003

voicegy

macrumors 65816
That crap is indeed one of the scariest things that can happen to someone..right out of the blue, for no reason, and nearly always fatal within even a day of initial infection.

Several years ago I left a New Years' eve party, hugging one of my favorite friends, a scientist named Milt, before I went home, with a promise to call the next week to get together again. I called that next week, and his roommate first asked me my full name, checked a list, and then said "OK, you were in his address book...I'm sorry to say that Milt is dead." A day or two after New Years', he came home early from work, went to bed with what he said was a splitting headache...next morning he was sweating and delirious. Roommate thought it best to call an ambulance...he died at the hospital. Perfectly healthy, 35 year old man. Bam. Just horrible for the family. I remember when I heard the news over the phone, my knees buckled and I fell to the floor with grief.:(

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
My mum works @ a government org her in Melbourne called VicHealth which organises and funds health research, physical activity etc. one day she gave me a booklet on known diseases and health issues and inside was Meningitis info.

It's truly awful disease, but I'm amazed at how bacteria and viruses attack the body, and how the body tries and fails/succeeds in destroying the offending body...

The human body is an amazing thing, but what attacks it is sometimes even more amazing.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ouch thats tough...

(Not Jokingly)

They have no drugs for that stuff?

Horrible.

They have a vaccine for bacterial meningitis, but it would not have provided protection in some of the cases. The particular strain is not covered, my thought on the subject is why not.

Since the illness is caused by a bacteria they do have medications. The disease is caused by close contact saliva and nasal spray, so kissing and use of the same utensils. In NH residents who were in close contact with an infected person received medication from the public health service. The medication used depends on the bacterial agent.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000680.htm

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This is really sad....but what I'd love to know is how they all got it. What's the connection - and then there's that man in Mass. who had it at the same time....weirdness.

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
This is really sad....but what I'd love to know is how they all got it. What's the connection - and then there's that man in Mass. who had it at the same time....weirdness.

D

News reports say that there is no connection among the cases in NH. The 18 year old girl ended up dying because of a misdiagnosis, the ER physician sent her home with a diagnosis of the flu. The bacteria just happens to be naturally occuring and with the close proxminity of people in the winter season disease are easily spread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.