PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Censorship in Apple's Discussion Forums

mtorbin
Mar 25, 2004, 08:41 PM
ModNote: I merged several threads on censorship at Apple's forums together in part because they overlapped in content, and in part because I wanted to point out that this is not a new concern -- it has been raised by our users at least as far back as 2004... --mkrishnan

Hey all,

Please don't take this as an open rant, this is some TRUE CONTENT here. Today I posted a tip in the Apple discussion forum to help a guy who's machine was giving him some trouble. Granted, I'm sure it wasn't an official "Apple Approved" way of dealing with it, but it would have fixed the problem (I should know, I do this professionally).

Anyways, one of the KingPins over there decided to "censor" my post based on the fact that the answer wasn't the best of way of handling the situation in his opinion. I went back and triple checked my facts, and I still believe that my tip was a good one. If I'm wrong, I'll admit that I'm wrong, but I checked my facts. I was right (for those of you who are interested, the debate was over whether or not wiping a drive clean every six to eight months would damage the drive in any way. My stance was no.)

I guess my point is, when did it become acceptable in discussion forums to veto out an opinion based on number of posts? I mean, if one person was helped by what I posted, shouldn't this be enough justification to LEAVE IT THE @#$%@ THERE?

Unfortunately, the number of discussion forums that weed this kind of low class filth out are getting smaller and smaller. Aparently, it's not just our radio that we want to censor, it's other people's opinions that we don't agree with.

For the sake of being a gentleman, I won't name names or point fingers. I'm actually hoping that this site serves as an example of what discussion forums are SUPPOSED to be about, which is not playground tactics.

I would like to be part of a community where I know that I can post a suggestion, receive feedback on it, and possibly improve it based on constructive criticisms without the fear that some pompous user is going to censor me without my consent.

- MT

Sun Baked
Mar 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
Forums aren't democracies, you have to live by the rules or post elsewhere.

Though if you avoid a bunch of pompous democratic users you'll have stay out of the MacRumor's Political Forum.

themadchemist
Mar 25, 2004, 09:36 PM
Forums aren't democracies, you have to live by the rules or post elsewhere.

Though if you avoid a bunch of pompous democratic users you'll have stay out of the MacRumor's Political Forum.

edit: Oh, I'm stupid as usual...I thought you meant a forum on MacRumors.

Anyway, if it's an Apple forum, I would imagine that they would delete a post if it made a suggestion that Apple thought unsafe or unwise. Seems natural.

strider42
Mar 25, 2004, 10:01 PM
I guess my point is, when did it become acceptable in discussion forums to veto out an opinion based on number of posts?
- MT

You seem to be implying that what you posted was removed by one of the Level 4 peoople, formerly known as helpers. They can't do that. Only the Apple employed moderators can delete or modify posts, and they basically never get involved unless the post is flagged for some reason. If your post was removed, then it was probably because it may have included profantiy or suggested something contrary to some software licensing laws or something. If that was not the case, then it was probably a mistake or someone misinterpreted your post. As a level 4 person over there, I can pretty much assure you that those responsible for maintaining the forums are good people who take their job seriously and try hard to do the right thing. Mistakes can happen, but sometimes there are reasons people don't consider. Without actually reading your original post there, I couldn't tell you why it was deleted or changed.

edit: are you talking about forums on this site or the apple support forums hosted by apple?

wdlove
Mar 25, 2004, 10:12 PM
mtorbin, I agree with others. Rather than posting here, it would be better to PM arn and discuss the problem with him. Don't really understand what happened to you, so can't comment. I wish you success.

rainman::|:|
Mar 25, 2004, 10:19 PM
guys, this happened in the Apple Knowledge Base Forum, not macrumors. arn has nothing to do with it.

paul

oldschool
Mar 26, 2004, 01:40 AM
guys, this happened in the Apple Knowledge Base Forum, not macrumors. arn has nothing to do with it.

paul

not related, but Sun Baked, i like your sung hi li avatar.

Sun Baked
Mar 26, 2004, 04:15 AM
not related, but Sun Baked, i like your sung hi li avatar.Thanks, everybody has been wondering who it was.

I grabbed an innocent looking picture of her with a glass of milk (and it didn't include a name).

Now everybody can go grab a not-so-innocent looking picture of her without the glass, or much else.

jayscheuerle
Mar 26, 2004, 09:59 AM
I got kicked out of Apple's Discussion Forums years ago when it was much more of a fun community. They don't take criticism (even valid, reasoned criticism) of their OS or products lightly. I poke my head in when I have a problem as it's a good source of information, but that's about it.

SiliconAddict
Mar 26, 2004, 10:20 AM
I posted there once on an iTunes problem. Call it silly but if a forum filters the word sucks I don't want to have a thing to do with them. I mean $***, *******, etc I understand but sucks!?!??! Er...when did the net turn into Barney world?!?!

strider42
Mar 26, 2004, 10:21 AM
I got kicked out of Apple's Discussion Forums years ago when it was much more of a fun community. They don't take criticism (even valid, reasoned criticism) of their OS or products lightly. I poke my head in when I have a problem as it's a good source of information, but that's about it.

I don't want to get into a big thing here, but they handle criticism fine, so long as your asking a question. In fact, the mods could relaly care less if you don't like something, its not their job to do PR for apple. Its their job to keep the discussions for technical support. The discussion forums apple hosts are for technical discussions only, not discussing what people do and don't like about the OS. You wouldn't call up apple support to tell them the things you don't like about the OS you call them to solve a problem, and thats what the forums there are for too. The mods there have always been extrememely nice people, give people the benefit of the doubt when regular community members would just as soon have them kicked out. it takes a whole heck of a lot to actually get kicked from the forums, and to get a permeanant ban means you pretty much have to be a complete jerk multiple times and ignore their warnings. Its still a great community if you follow what its intentions are. Thats why I come to macrumors, for all the other mac related stuff and discussions that are more appropriate here. If you want to let apple know about your thoughts, you should do so through a different avenue. While technical issues will be channeled through to the engineers when posted in the apple forums, product criticisms and ideas will not.

jxyama
Mar 26, 2004, 10:35 AM
...some pompous user is going to censor me without my consent.

just messing around here, but if you gave your consent, wouldn't it no longer be censorship? ;)

not sure what happened over at apple's forum, but as others have mentioned, not even helpers can remove posts - only people higher up than that, usually an actual apple employees.

i left that forum quite a while ago - i was into it at the beginning but there were too many n00bs asking the same question over and over. :D

it's kinda similar here at MR but the question is usually "when will there be an update?" or "help me decide whether to get iBook or PB?" ;)

there are other forums here at MR and the site itself is more news oriented (instead of help oriented, though you can certainly get help here too.) so i've stuck around. it's a good community.

jayscheuerle
Mar 26, 2004, 10:36 AM
The mods there have always been extrememely nice people, give people the benefit of the doubt when regular community members would just as soon have them kicked out. it takes a whole heck of a lot to actually get kicked from the forums, and to get a permeanant ban means you pretty much have to be a complete jerk multiple times and ignore their warnings.

Back when I was removed, there was only one mod and he was a power-hungry loyalist who couldn't understand why people were having problems with 10.1. It's called a "discussion" forum, but some of the discussions didn't put Apple or the shoddy 10.1 in a good light. Facetious and sarcastic? Guilty. Complete jerk? Eat my shorts. ;)

They just ban a name and you lose your post count. It's really no biggie, but you do give up your identity and the friendships which you've cultivated. I just go there for info now, not camaraderie. Besides, most of the major problems have been worked out with OSX. - j

oldschool
Mar 26, 2004, 02:21 PM
I posted there once on an iTunes problem. Call it silly but if a forum filters the word sucks I don't want to have a thing to do with them. I mean $***, *******, etc I understand but sucks!?!??! Er...when did the net turn into Barney world?!?!

as george carlin once said "how come we are allowed to THINK of the swear word, in that we can see it censored like "******", but we aren't allowed to write those extra two letters?"

strider42
Mar 26, 2004, 03:52 PM
Back when I was removed, there was only one mod and he was a power-hungry loyalist who couldn't understand why people were having problems with 10.1. It's called a "discussion" forum, but some of the discussions didn't put Apple or the shoddy 10.1 in a good light. Facetious and sarcastic? Guilty. Complete jerk? Eat my shorts. ;)

They just ban a name and you lose your post count. It's really no biggie, but you do give up your identity and the friendships which you've cultivated. I just go there for info now, not camaraderie. Besides, most of the major problems have been worked out with OSX. - j

Can't comment on the mod in question, there has always been more than 1, though they do tend to specific to a particular forum or forums. The one's i've talked with and dealt with have always been very helpful and useful.

I'm gonna take your word that it was the mod that was the problem. Why not, there can be bad apples, so to speak, in their ranks too. But I am struck by the fact that you said your may have been sarcastic and facetious. While sometimes we do those things for effect ro to vent frustrations, on a public board, they can get out of hand easily,a nd even though your post may have actually been ok, its tone or certain contents can provoke a flame war. I've been a regular member at those forums for 6 years and have seen it happen many times. The mods will delete posts that may cause flame wars. its not because you criticize apple, like I said, they could care less if you want to have criticial things to say about an apple product since its not their job to deal with such criticisms, its because they know what some posts will do. Repeatedly posting inflammatory material will get you temporarily banned. Doing it after a temporary ban will result in a permeant ban. I think they can even go as far as deny an IP address since they've had some guys post under different names after being banned.

LIke I said, I don't know the situation specifics, I'm just trying to give the other perspective based on my experience as a long time apple discussions member.

lordthistle
Jul 24, 2008, 09:26 AM
This is a story that needs to be told.

As many of you already know, many MBPs in the current generation are affected by a strange screen problem. Dark stripes appear because led lights on the bottom of the screen do not turn on.

A similar problem has happened to Dell computers. Dell recognized the defect within milliseconds and repaired/exchanged the affected units. For apple it looks like it is an impossible mission: the problem has been described months ago and the only answer from apple (published few days ago) is: yes we know, just turn off and on your screen, keep your defective unit. We do not know what to do.

There was a long thread on Apple Discussion Forums. It was so long that a moderator had to lock it because many browers were not able to load the page. The locked thread had more than 60000 views. Now the same thread has just 1500 views.

Why?

Question from a user on the apple discussion to a moderator:
Can you please provide any possible explanation as to why the view count on the former thread was lowered from 60,000 views to 1500?

Answer from the moderator:
I'm sorry, at this point all I can say is "I don't know." Let me reassure you, however, that it is not a conspiracy by Apple to hide reports of any potential issue.

:confused:

Does apple know anything about what they do? They never know anything apart from quarter revenues...

How is this possible? What kind of policy is this? :eek:

Is Microsoft the real evil? It looks like it's true that the world is not just black and white ;-)

thistle

mkrishnan
Jul 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
How is this possible? What kind of policy is this? :eek:

Apple does have a bad reputation for the way they handle those discussion boards. As you say, they have been reported many times to lock threads unnecessarily, delete material that doesn't violate any copyright / trade secret concerns but looks bad for them, etc. And even on top of that, what's left doesn't solve very many issues -- to be honest, I hardly ever find anything useful there, even via google searching, and I never go there as my first line of defense. I'm many fold more likely to find an answer here or at MacOSXhints.com.

I will say, however, that having served as a moderator using forum software myself, sometimes things like this happen for unforeseen reasons, and we moderators don't even realize it will happen until after we do it. One example is that, I'm pretty sure, whenever two threads get merged, depending on the software, the view count either resets to zero or takes on the value of the "destination" thread. So that's an example of how a moderator could easily accidentally erase a view count (and from my personal experience, view count usually isn't on our list of priorities, for good or bad). Some forum software will also reset view count if the original post is edited or the thread title is changed, and sometimes even if the thread is moved from one subforum to another.

lordthistle
Jul 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
I will say, however, that having served as a moderator using forum software myself, sometimes things like this happen for unforeseen reasons, and we moderators don't even realize it will happen until after we do it. [...] So that's an example of how a moderator could easily accidentally erase a view count (and from my personal experience, view count usually isn't on our list of priorities, for good or bad). [...]

May be in this case a normal mainteinance routine (with a side effect) is misinterpreted because a lot of people are not receiving any decent answer. The fact is that (apparently) the thread was not split, nor merged. It was locked and a new one was created. But, yes, it's not impossible that things went as you described.

thistle

mkrishnan
Jul 24, 2008, 09:59 AM
Huh... who knows? Maybe it was a conspiracy, maybe it was just a goof.

I wonder about those kinds of boards in general. I think someone in an office somewhere got the bright idea, "We'll get other people to do our tech support for us, and if they're right, we take the credit, and if they're wrong, they get the blame. Plus it looks like we have a community and that appeals to tech savvy people." :rolleyes: I don't know how anyone in these companies can green light making these forums without setting clear policies about their take on censorship. And to be honest, it's not just Apple where these officially sponsored but unofficial boards are generally a waste of time. In my experience, the Linux community is the only place where I've seen official boards be any good (ubuntuforums is probably the single best Linux resource on the net).

fedjagr
Aug 9, 2008, 06:05 PM
arrggh, need to vent...
Apple's own discussion forums are moderated, and several of my posts got removed, and I wasn't being nasty or offensive or promoting a competitor. I was merely posting things like:
1. "send them a feedback form so they know what we want" (isn't that the idea of a feedback form? So they know what the customer needs/wants?)
2. "keep reminding them of the free month of MobMe we are entitled to due to the shaky MobMe launch" (People's accounts get shut down because they cannot update credit card info (Apple's fault), but they were entitled to a free month to begin with. So why shut it down and delete all info?)
3. "let's go to another, independent forum that doesn't delete critical posts" (I linked to this forum btw)

I really feel Apple doesn't like people organising themselves via their forums, or am I wrong? Apple is just another multinational walking over its own customers... or am I wrong?

nhyde
Aug 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
Starting drama is never appreciated.

Apple is aware of your complaints, Apple will credit your account soon enough, Apple's TOS of the forums does not allow petitions, and your 'movement' to these boards would be considered such.

fedjagr
Aug 9, 2008, 06:13 PM
Starting drama is never appreciated.

Apple is aware of your complaints, Apple will credit your account soon enough, Apple's TOS of the forums does not allow petitions, and your 'movement' to these boards would be considered such.

I guess...
but Support is unavailable so where do we have to go with our frustrations? Why did I ever think Apple was different from MS?

nhyde
Aug 9, 2008, 06:18 PM
I guess...
but Support is unavailable so where do we have to go with our frustrations? Why did I ever think Apple was different from MS?

What type support do you need? I'm sure the thousands of viewers here would love to help, myself included, provided we can.

In the end, Microsoft and Apple are one in the same, they are both huge corporations that are out to maximize profit.

.Andy
Aug 9, 2008, 06:18 PM
but Support is unavailable so where do we have to go with our frustrations?
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Why did I ever think Apple was different from MS?
They're a different company but that's about it.

fedjagr
Aug 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
OK guys, thanks for the replies!

I myself do not need technical support, but 1000's of others on those forums do. So, I was trying to emancipate the customers by giving them useful links to the feedbackform, or to this (independent) forum, etc.
LOL, was a tad naive to assume Apple would let me do that on their forums.

IJ Reilly
Aug 9, 2008, 06:57 PM
The Apple forums have always been heavily moderated. It gets somewhat overbearing at times, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to turn it into a center for gripe sessions.

Kilamite
Aug 10, 2008, 06:49 AM
OK guys, thanks for the replies!

I myself do not need technical support, but 1000's of others on those forums do. So, I was trying to emancipate the customers by giving them useful links to the feedbackform, or to this (independent) forum, etc.
LOL, was a tad naive to assume Apple would let me do that on their forums.

When I used to work selling computers, and I managed to convince a customer that a Mac suited their needs, I actually directed them to MacRumors as well as the official Apple Support site. Reason being, you are much more likely and quicker to get a response. On the official forums, Apple wants to keep it clean, since it carries their image.

ctshu2002
Aug 11, 2008, 01:55 AM
Apple has been deleting threads and post from the Apple.com discussions forums if they 'give bad press' to Apple issues.

I had 2 post deleted- the emails I received said the post were deleted because I violtated the Terms of Use because my post contained:

*Discussion of Apple Policies, Procedures or Decisions
* Off-topic or non-technical posts
* Non-constructive rants or complaints

I was disucssing on one post the battery update program, replying back to one person posting to everyone that Apple was going to automatically replace teir battery, even though several post mentioned that Apple Care reps said they didn't qualify for the replacement program and they had to pay out of pocket for a new battery. I also mentioned that it was terrible that after a year that many MBP's were suddenly having sudden shutdown's and battery swelling/explosions.

My second post responded back to a post about the iPhone 2.0 not being able to simultanouesly use data and voice modes in EDGE service areas. While replying to this and getting slammed by emails to re-read the iPhone flyer page that all 3G phones could send voice and data automatically, I also mentioned that this only worked in the areas where AT&T rolled out 3G, and the auto search for a 3G signal (and Wi-Fi is not disabled), along with auto EDGE switching would seriously frain the battery faster, along with the crippingly slow download speeds, especially since Apple list on the tech specs page of the site that it only tested the iPhone in 3G mode in the 1900 and 2100MHz spectrums, even though it is tri-mode in 3G and could use the 850MHz spectrum, and also disabled many features and functions to obtain the 5 hour talk time.

There was also an article I read from ConsumerAffairs.com today, that several post here mentioned that post/threads with complaints about the iPhone 2.0 cases were removed or no longer accessible.

NotFound
Aug 11, 2008, 01:56 AM
Hasn't this already been a thread here before?

.Andy
Aug 11, 2008, 01:59 AM
While replying to this and getting slammed by emails to re-read the iPhone flyer page that all 3G phones could send voice and data automatically, I also mentioned that this only worked in the areas where AT&T rolled out 3G, and the auto search for a 3G signal (and Wi-Fi is not disabled), along with auto EDGE switching would seriously frain the battery faster, along with the crippingly slow download speeds, especially since Apple list on the tech specs page of the site that it only tested the iPhone in 3G mode in the 1900 and 2100MHz spectrums, even though it is tri-mode in 3G and could use the 850MHz spectrum, and also disabled many features and functions to obtain the 5 hour talk time.
Were you sentences this long on the apple discussion forums?

Mikey B
Aug 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
Big Brother :apple: apparently doesn't like any mention of the word jailbreaking.

i posted a reply in a thread on Apple's 3G forum that pertained to DFU restoring. Someone had asked how another poster had learned about DFU, and i posted that its common knowledge for "iPhone forum junkies and anyone into the iPhone jailbreaking scene." i went back to check on the thread and they edited out my sentence about the jailbreaking scene.

since when does :apple: get in a tizzy about jailbreaking? unlocking i get, but jailbreaking? c'mon...

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
I hate the apple support forums, they delete and edit half of the useful posts and besides that there are constantly errors when I try to login.

thegoldenmackid
Aug 24, 2008, 04:23 PM
since when does :apple: get in a tizzy about jailbreaking? unlocking i get, but jailbreaking? c'mon...

They have to protect themselves. Someone jailbreaks their respective device, they don't do it correctly or it starts having errors. They say "well it was on the Apple Forum", even with the disclaimer about this not being official information from Cupertino, they still would rather avoid those problems. Let's remember - this is the same company that sued everyone with the word "pod" in their name and refuses to let their employees even technically read this forum.

Trajectory
Aug 24, 2008, 04:48 PM
This isn't new unfortunately. Apple has been censoring their forum heavily for years. They frequently delete threads that discuss defects in their products which they don't want to admit. Users who continue to raise issues that Apple wants to ignore are banned.

It's Apple's forum so they can run it the way they see fit, but, it's not the best place to find info about defective Apple products.

GSMiller
Aug 24, 2008, 05:41 PM
I don't frequent the Apple Discussion Forums, only when I need help with something, but I never offer help to others on there. Greedy? I don't think so, I just leave it to the more established members.

Ugh, reminds me of kindergarten when I kept getting in trouble for telling the other kids to "shut up" :p

mcdj
Sep 1, 2008, 08:26 PM
In a Google search for answers to the problems I described in this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554985), I came across a page on the Apple discussion boards. When I clicked the link, it came up as a non-existant page on the discussion board...i.e. the post had been deleted.

I went back and clicked Google's cached version of the page. I expected to find a long flame war or profanity laden rants...the kind of stuff Apple usually yanks.

Instead, I found this...

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:UQ3vJgenywsJ:discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa%3FthreadID%3D1680989%26tstart%3D60+iPhone+3g+times+out&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=us&client=safari

...a fairly short, calm description of a problem with the iPhone's 3G chip timing out under 2.0.2. No profanity. No rants. No flame war.

Why would Apple go out of their way to delete a seemingly innocuous post?

Below is the text from the cached page, in the even it fades away from Google's cache.

Apple.com > Support > Discussions > Using iPhone > Internet and Networking
Topic : Full 3G signal but connection times out!

This question is not answered. "Helpful" answers available: 2 . "Solved" answers available: 1 .
Reply to this Topic Back to Topic List

Replies : 3 - Last Post : Aug 25, 2008 7:02 PM by: mactheman
BRMperc

Full 3G signal but connection times out!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 4:07 PM
Reply Email

I updated my iPhone I 2.0.2, and now I'm having a weird problem. My 3G signal will have full bars, but the data doesn't work. I can't load email or webpages. Edge works fine. Wifi works fine. This is all in an area where I've not had any previous problems. Yes, the phone has always switched to edge even with a full 3G signal. It used to be that I'd switch 3G off & then back on, and 3G would be fine again for a while. Now 3G simply doesn't work.
Oh and while I've been writing this the keyboard is lagging horribly and my ringer volume has reset itself to half twice.
I love this phone, but this is seriously dissapointing.

Powerbook G4 17" 1.67GHz/2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.11) Time Capsule, iPod 5.5 30GB, iPhone 3G 16GB (black)

calllka

Re: Full 3G signal but connection times out!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 4:28 PM in response to: BRMperc
Reply Email

Same problem here. Go to the Apple store and they'll replace your phone. Dunno if that'll help though, I'm waiting for the store to get the phone in for replacement.

iPhone 3G Mac OS X (10.5.4) PowerBook 15

Little Whale

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 6:47 PM in response to: calllka
Reply Email

I'm having the same problem and if I restart the IPHONE it works for a couple hours. I guess Apple still does not understand the problem with its chip set. May have fixed one problem but broke another. However, I still drop calls but everyone tells me its ATT second class network around GW Bridge(MTA). Gmail is having issues connecting even with max power on 3G network. Web times out and I keep asking myself why am I paying for service that ATT canít seem to deliver. ATT has great phoneís but poor service and Verizon has Great service but second class phones. Just canít seem to win this game.

PS I still can't achieve 1/5th the network speed that ATT shows in its advertisements using 3G. I guess itís time to have the next wannabe governor of New York start and investigation into this chip set.

MacBook Pro 17 Mac OS X (10.4.8) Nothing special

mactheman

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 7:02 PM in response to: BRMperc
Reply Email

Same problem here. I even got a new phone. Same problem. 3G is great data is great when it works.
Very frustrating.

Macbook Pro Mac OS X (10.5)

Bearxor
Sep 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
Apple's always hiding something. I think it's in their corporate mantra our fight song or something.

kdarling
Sep 1, 2008, 10:31 PM
Apple censors their forum constantly, sometimes for the oddest of reasons, but more often just anytime something makes them look bad.

Orwell's 1984 has nothing on them. Apple deletes history and then lets the most naive fanboys rewrite it.

mavis
Sep 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yeah, Apple's 'Discussion' Forums are a complete joke. I've had so many of my posts deleted, they're now threatening to temporarily suspend my posting privileges ... :rolleyes:

My transgression? Telling people the truth, that the only way to recover from an ALoD is to use OpenSSH. Apparently Apple would rather their customers suffer through daily three hour restores than be aware of a solution that takes only five minutes.

Gotta love Apple.

deannnnn
Sep 1, 2008, 11:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yeah, Apple's 'Discussion' Forums are a complete joke. I've had so many of my posts deleted, they're now threatening to temporarily suspend my posting privileges ... :rolleyes:

My transgression? Telling people the truth, that the only way to recover from an ALoD is to use OpenSSH. Apparently Apple would rather their customers suffer through daily three hour restores than be aware of a solution that takes only five minutes.

Gotta love Apple.

It's stuff like that that really makes me angry.
Censoring solutions? Give me a break...
People are going to Apple Discussions for help (I used to use it before I found MR), yet Apple is deleting what they don't approve of.
I can understand why they do it... but I definitely don't think it's right.

alFR
Sep 2, 2008, 01:42 AM

Because under their forum's TOS threads should either be a question or a solution to a problem and the above contains neither of those, it's just a random complaint? I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's no different to the mods here deleting threads/posts that don't meet this forum's TOS.

As far as Mavis's posts go, what do you expect? You're posting advocating people voiding their warranty on a company's own discussion boards. They're hardly going to leave that up, are they?

pj rage
Sep 2, 2008, 07:45 AM
I doubt they're hiding some big scandal. It's not like it could be the hardware. I'm having the exact same problem since 2.0.2, but not before 2.0.2, which proves, to me, that it's not a hardware problem. 3G speeds are great for me, still, with 2.0.2, WHEN IT WORKS! The problem is that it hardly ever works. It just refuses to load any data since 2.0.2. But when it does decide to load, it's as fast as before.

I never had a single problem with 3g before 2.0.2. I wish I never upgraded to have my radio request less power from the tower! Or, at least, I wish I was one of the last, and not the guinea pigs who are getting screwed.

So, no, I don't think they are hiding anything, because the only real thing they would try to cover up, as you suggest, would be a hardware issue, and the problem in this post isn't a hardware issue. Unless you consider needing more power from AT&T's towers in order to function properly to be a hardware issue.

mavis
Sep 2, 2008, 07:48 AM

Because under their forum's TOS threads should either be a question or a solution to a problem and the above contains neither of those, it's just a random complaint? I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's no different to the mods here deleting threads/posts that don't meet this forum's TOS.

As far as Mavis's posts go, what do you expect? You're posting advocating people voiding their warranty on a company's own discussion boards. They're hardly going to leave that up, are they?

Yes, but it's the ONLY SOLUTION. Ironic, I know -but not my fault. Apple would rather their customers suffer through three-four hour restores than be made aware of a five minute solution. I realize that they don't want people to jailbreak, but since it's the only solution available ... I mean, come on!

snverhallen
Sep 2, 2008, 08:01 AM
Rapidly making tin-foil hat... must try harder!

snverhallen

kdarling
Sep 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
Because under their forum's TOS threads should either be a question or a solution to a problem and the above contains neither of those, it's just a random complaint?

Yet the Apple forum commonly leaves up useless posts that aren't problems or solutions, but which praise the company.

:rolleyes:

Many of us remember when Apple desperately deleted hundreds, if not thousands, of complaining posts back when the iPhone price first dramatically dropped. After about an hour of trying to pretend like there was nothing wrong, they finally gave up and let the posts stay. And Steve gave in to the wave of protests later on as well.

CADACUSER
Sep 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
Apple is sneaky. I came over to this forum because my posts are deleted -- usually within a few minutes. Total crap. Unless its something positive!!!

Carl D.

fa.ce
Sep 11, 2008, 08:00 AM
Mobile Me does NOT work at all !
Many and many customers complains about many MM's bugs on Apple Forum.
Apple is beginning to delete all these posts.

This is the end of Apple ...
A very disapponted ex Apple fan, with all my data on Mobile Me, that cannot be sync to Mac again for inconsistent data error messages !

PS Hoping to see soon a Class Action against apple on all these incredible Mobile Me MESS !!!

cyclingplatypus
Sep 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
Enough with the class action garbage, if you don't like the service don't use it, you want a place to complain about it start a blog but why is it whenever something goes wrong there is always a group of people who scream class action, they admitted it was jacked up, they gave out free 90 day extensions, the terms of service state:

Apple reserves the right to modify or stop the Service (or any part thereof), either temporarily or permanently, at any time or from time to time, with or without prior notice to you.

Source (http://www.apple.com/legal/mobileme/en/terms.html)

There are plenty of other options perhaps MobileMe isn't a good fit for you and you should seek them out.

Perhaps this would work better for you: link (http://beaugiles.net/blog/2008/07/using-google-as-a-free-mobileme-alternative-with-push-contacts-calendar/)

arkitect
Sep 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
Mobile Me does NOT work at all !

Oh for crying out aloudÖ

How often is this dead horse going to get beaten?

:confused::rolleyes:

edesignuk
Sep 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
This is the end of Apple ...Yup, definitely. http://up.edesignuk.com/files/1/Images/Smilies/WTF.gif

fa.ce
Sep 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
don't take me wrong.
i've been for years an apple entusiastic user.
i've now all my data on MobileMe and it simply doesn't sync data for inconsistent error messages.
Before this post i've done, for months! every things is suggested on Apple site, Apple support simply doesn't solve the problem.
More and more people ask for a solution.
2 months free are simply a nonsense.
i've payed for a service and i want it to work.
I don't want to look elsewhere.