Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Cån ånyone tell me how to get this å to go åwåy. It just stårted the other dåy ånd I cånnot figure out how to måke it go åwåy.

Thånks in ådvånce!

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Apple (menu) > System Preferences... (menu item) > International (panel)

Make sure you have the correct languages selected (ie: make sure you're using english in the input menu).

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Yeåh, I tried thåt ånd it wåß ålreådy set up like thåt. When I hit the delete key it is deleting the entire word ånd not just the letter. I cån't even log-in to severål of my åccounts b/c of this. Åny other suggestions would be of greåt help. Thånks.

L

Lau

Could you have somehow wedged down or have a faulty alt / ⌥ (option ⌥ in the US) key?

That deletes whole words at a time and, on investigation, also makes the character å when you type "a".

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Cleåning the keypåd...I håve no ideå why I cån't chånge it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yeåh, I tried thåt ånd it wåß ålreådy set up like thåt. When I hit the delete key it is deleting the entire word ånd not just the letter. I cån't even log-in to severål of my åccounts b/c of this. Åny other suggestions would be of greåt help. Thånks.

At the risk of being insensitive, I am going to question the post...

Look above at the word wåß where it appears the poster did not release the alt key in time before the "s" and got a "ß" instead... but nowhere else... the "s" is clear elsewhere.

That inconsistency makes me think this may not be real

If it is... I will say "sorry", but for now... I'm not buying it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Reålly?? I åm å Gåmecock ånd would not lie to å Bulldog...fellow SEC'er. This is reål...trust me when I såy I would much råther being doing other things thån trying to figure this out.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Reålly?? I åm å Gåmecock ånd would not lie to å Bulldog...fellow SEC'er. This is reål...trust me when I såy I would much råther being doing other things thån trying to figure this out.

No problem... just explain the inconsistency in the post I quoted ;)

Then I will be on board

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
You kind of answered your own question. This problem happened after you cleaned your keyboard. So you probably did something to your option key.

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I håve no ideå why it is like thåt. I wish I did. I håve no experience with this åt åll. Åny suggestions on how I could pick the Ålt key?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I håve no ideå why it is like thåt. I wish I did. I håve no experience with this åt åll. Åny suggestions on how I could pick the Ålt key?

If the Alt key were stuck, it would affect other letters
If it affected only the "a" key, it would not have affect the "s" in the post above

Sorry... I don't want to seem unfriendly to a fellow SEC'er,
but I'm still calling BS on this one until I hear a logical explanation for the inconsistency :)

I have a workable theory for the å
Do you have one for the ß?

I think you are busted... but you can play it out if you like

I will eat crow (or gamecock) later if need be, but I don't think so

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
You truly must be joking. I håve NO IDEÅ! The only thing I håve figured out is thåt when I type the word wås the first time it looks like this...wåß , then when I hit delete it ånd it deletes the whole word I cån re-type it ånd it will be spelled correctly, but so får it is only the word wåß ...why in the hell would I måke this up?

L

Lau

If it's only affecting the a key, and the s key intermittently, it could be something affecting those two keys rather than or as well as the alt/option key. kendog3 could have damaged or affected those keys whilst cleaning.

Did you use any damp or wet cleaning products, kendog3? If you did, you may have made a strange connection by getting those keys wet, and leaving it unplugged overnight might dry it out.

I don't see any reason to doubt him asking for help about this, partly because it seems a bit unfair to suggest that when there seems to be various likely causes for it, and also because I don't know what would be gained by lying about it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
because I don't know what would be gained by lying about it.

I don't know...

1. attention
2. post count
3. laughs

It affects the "a" and the word "was" only?
(but only the first time, the second time it is good to go)

OK :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be insensitive lau, but I will defer to you and let you troubleshoot this

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
This is truly låughåble...I joined todåy b/c I needed help ånd I get åccused of wånting to increåse my posts or get åttention???? I do not get it. Cleårly my integrity håß been questioned. Yes, I see it on the word håß, but I håve not ideå why, if ånyone could help I would åppreciåte it, but I will stop posting b/c I do not need to be åccused of lying on å messåge/help boård...thånks for the wårm welcome.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
OK, I will offer you a sincere apology, how's that?

I have no suggestions for you, other than perhaps the Genius Bar
Perhaps others will venture along with their expertise

Please post the resolution when you get it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

L

Lau

It sounds like the liquid's caused a temporary connection in your keyboard. Keyboards usually dry out fairly well so your best bet is to leave it for a day or so and hope that it dries out.

It's not on a laptop is it? Because that could be a bit more serious if it got down deeper into the computer itself. If it's a laptop, I'd switch it off and leave it open upside down on a towel to drain the liquid out rather than further in. If it is a desktop keyboard, hopefully it'll just dry out if you leave it for a day or so.

I wonder if pressing the "a" key temporarily pushes some liquid over towards the "s" key next to it, which is why it only happens after an "a". What happens if you press "z" or "x"?

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
It is on å låptop...should I tåke it somewhere to be fixed...cån it be fixed? It is relåtively new, thånks for your suggestion.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I suggest you turn your computer off and let it dry for a while.

Just a note, air dry it. Do not try to speed up the drying process with heat. You will melt something.

kendog3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
zxqwedc åre åll fine s fine, even the word ås is fine unless I do it reålly fåst ånd the is looks like åß

L

Lau

As long as the liquid isn't sticky and likely to dry with a residue (hopefully you were using water or alcohol to clean it) you'll hopefully be lucky.

If I were you, I think I'd try drying it out before spending money on a repair. If the liquid's just in the keyboard you could be lucky. Switch it off, unplug it, take out the battery, and lie it open on a towel (prop it up on something so you don't damage the hinge on the screen) and try switching it back on in a day or so. The longer you use it now while it's wet the more you risk damaging it.

Edit: Glad to hear it, hope it works for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.