Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
i recently got a macbook pro - my first mac...but i can't seem to be able to authenticate on our wireless. i have all the information (i think) set up correctly before i try to connect to it, but it won't let me authenticate. i can see on the server that my account is trying to connect but failing...any ideas?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
We'll need more specifics as to exactly what you're doing and your OS version. I'm assuming your network uses LEAP (since I hope you wouldn't be trying that if it wasn't hehe).

jadira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
details

i'm running 10.4

to try and connect i'm clicking on "other" under the network, typing in the correct network name, selecting the WPA2 Enterprise, and typing in my user name and pw.

when i try to authenticate from there my computer doesn't authenticate and i get an error message.:confused:

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
i'm running 10.4

to try and connect i'm clicking on "other" under the network, typing in the correct network name, selecting the WPA2 Enterprise, and typing in my user name and pw.

when i try to authenticate from there my computer doesn't authenticate and i get an error message.:confused:

You had better read this article to explain the usage of LEAP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Extensible_Authentication_Protocol

1. It uses Dynamic (means the password changes frequently) WEP encryption, not WPA.

2. If you want to save yourself some grief, disable LEAP, or if you can't, get another wireless router.

jadira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
i can't disable LEAP...it's my bf's router and he won't dissable it because he doesn't want to use WPA PSK

i'm just trying to figure out why it won't authenticate...is using LEAP the reason it won't authenticate?

according to my bf: any PC is able to select WPA2 with LEAP and/or PEAP - is LEAP not mac friendly?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
i can't disable LEAP...it's my bf's router and he won't dissable it because he doesn't want to use WPA PSK

i'm just trying to figure out why it won't authenticate?

Well first thing is that you cannot authenticate using a WPA password if the router uses WEP.

On the router, the WEP password used should have generated a Hexadecimal string. Ask your boyfriend for that string. Then when you try to connect to his network, use that Hex string as the password.

But if the WEP password on the router dynamically changes, then you will (I think, but I'm not sure since I've never used LEAP) will need a new string every time you try to connect to his network.

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Assuming you tried to set it up as "LEAP" or "WPA Enterprise" without success.
Try to make an 802.1X profile with your Username, Password and the Networkname. In 10.4 you have to open "Internet Connection" and click on 802.1X in the toolbar. It there is no 802.1X option you can activate it via the menu (I think it's in File->New 802.1X Connection). Be sure to select LEAP as your authentication.

jadira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Assuming you tried to set it up as "LEAP" or "WPA Enterprise" without success.
Try to make an 802.1X profile with your Username, Password and the Networkname. In 10.4 you have to open "Internet Connection" and click on 802.1X in the toolbar. It there is no 802.1X option you can activate it via the menu (I think it's in File->New 802.1X Connection). Be sure to select LEAP as your authentication.

THANK YOU! this worked perfectly.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.