Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daytona63

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
I have a new 800 MHz iMac w/ SuperDrive running OSX. I've had it since mid-February, but just recently a problem arose. When I drag files to the desktop, they appear on the desktop for a split second, then disappear. If I go to the desktop folder in my home directory, no files appear there. However, I can still find them using Sherlock, and in the Terminal if a go the the desktop, the files also appear. This is driving me insane, does anybody know what I can do??? Also, I have a couple files in the trash that when I try to delete them, the computer tells me that they don't exist. This is all very aggravating.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I have never seen or used Mac OS X but if such a problem would appear on Mac OS 9, I would first run Norten Utilities and/or Tech Tool Pro to find any problems and to fix them, if that doesn't work I would think about when the problem first started and what software with extensions I have installed at that time and I would disable those extensions and control panels to see if the new software is the culprit. But if nothing works and it isn't a huge hassle I would back up my important files to disk, erase the HD and reinstall the OS.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
very unusual
thats never happened....and it sound like a unix problem and I don't know **** about unix so just wait for someone with answers

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by mac15
very unusual
thats never happened....and it sound like a unix problem and I don't know **** about unix so just wait for someone with answers

Sheesh! Talk about padding your numbers... Pretty anxious to get to 1000, huh?

BTW - 1 more for me. :D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by tfaz1

Sheesh! Talk about padding your numbers... Pretty anxious to get to 1000, huh?

BTW - 1 more for me. :D

Why does this always happen evertime I get close to milestone
I happend when I was going for the big 500 and that was my fault
and BTW you should know my posts by now ..... you know short and sweet
and thats my style.......so sit on it:D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have had the same problem twice!! According to Sherlock the file is on the desktop but is its not!! Luckily for me, it does not happen often & it sorts itself out.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Have you tried to start up in Single User mode (command+S at startup) and "fsck -y" (without quotes). This will check you HDs systemfile, and repair damages. Write fsck -y untill the computer says the harddrive is OK. This tip has been given serveral times here at MR. Might just work....

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I don't know how proficient you are in terminal daytona, but just in case: once you're done with the fsck -y checks, type in "exit" (w/o the quotes) to launch osx.

Something else that might work (i'm not sure, but it's worth a shot) is relaunching the desktop from the Force Quit menu. It solved my problems when, upon changing a disk icon, the item dissapeared from the desktop.

Just don't let yourself get too stressed.... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.