Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deathbyalfonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Well, im trying to decide whether or not to buy a macbook, I am only 15, but I dont know if i would use it.

I have a desktop pc for games as well

I'm having a little trouble convincing my parents that I need one

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I'm 15 too. I've had my iMac (which I got with my own money) for about a year now, and I have never once regretted getting it. Get your parents to go play with some macs at the apple store, after a few minutes they'll want one too. ;):D

Deathbyalfonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Well I know I want a laptop.

And I've been working all summer and I have the money.

But can the base model macbook run CounterStrike:Source?

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Everybody needs a Macbook!:rolleyes:

Haha i was going to say that.

But you honestly don't need a Macbook. You already have a computer and your what in grade 10? I'm sure your desktop can handle whatever you need it to do for high school and portability isn't essential either. I'm not surprised you can't convince your parents you need one.

Maybe you could sell your PC and buy a Macbook and run bootcamp for your xp gaming needs.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
let me answer you with another question
Do i need a Ferrari Enzo (?) :D

seriously!
if you're just going to play games with it, and your parents are the one who's paying for it, i suggest a lower priced PC.
but if you'll be using your own hard earned dough, then by all means, get the latest MBP and match it with a Mac PRO.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Save your $$ until you need to upgrade, I loved Macs, but for me it was important to buy one when I was ready to get a new system.

my 2c.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
instead of spending money for the sake of spending money, why don't you take that $1000, put it in the bank, earn some interest, and take it out when you actually need a new computer.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I think if you have trouble convincing your parents, then you probably don't need one.

Now when you are in college...that's another story. And gaming on a low end macbook = probably not the best idea.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
If you wanted it for school, to take to the library for assignments and other such things, I'd say sure.

If you want it for gaming, no way! You'd have to get a MacBook Pro ... those are expensive.

My suggestion:
For a portable computer that will be used for school work and other simple portable computing needs, go for it. Gaming... no. To run decent games, you need a discrete GPU and that is in MacBook Pro land. Stick with the desktop then. If you wait a few years and get a computer when it's college time, then get the top of the line MBP.

Besides, by then the interest will be almost enough to let you get it. (Think 3 month rolling CDs)

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
I'm 15 too, and i just got a macbook. I don't have a desktop for gaming (360 and ps3 for that), but i do use it a surprising amount for school work. It is great to bring it into school to do coursework and have it all there when i go home. To convince your parents, research it allot (like how you are now), get together allot of info, take them to an apple shop and just try and say it will improve your school work, goo luck

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
To convince your parents, research it allot (like how you are now), get together allot of info, take them to an apple shop and just try and say it will improve your school work, goo luck

Don't only research the Macbook, but the iMac and MBP as well. be prepared to explain why the Macbook is the best choice for your needs.

I did this a bit too well. I researched to the point of enlightenment, then took my mom to the apple store. I showed her the computers, explained why I liked the macbook, and showed her the other options I looked at. Then, we looked into the general OSX features. she fell in love with garageband. She loved the iMac, and wants to replace our computer with it down the road.

Now, thinking if I should get my mac this summer or next, she wants me to buy it as son as the next update (yes, I'm buying it with my own money). (She says for school, I say she just wants to play more with garageband:p)

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
i am also 15 and have been fortunate enough to have a black MacBook since my birthday in January. I convinced my parents cause my old computer crashed and my Dad had bought my sister a MacBook the month before and she is 13 also because my whole school runs on Mac, therefore the compatibility would be there without any worries. I enjoy the portability of being able to take it in car rides and down the shore and other places like that. I have not had one problem with my MacBook and would recommend it to anyone.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I'm 14 and have a MacBook (looks at sig) and I like it... it fits my needs perfectly.

I do editing at school, which is why I need it.

Plus, if you play your cards right, it's the cheapest Mac other than the Mini.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Haha i was going to say that.

But you honestly don't need a Macbook. You already have a computer and your what in grade 10? I'm sure your desktop can handle whatever you need it to do for high school and portability isn't essential either. I'm not surprised you can't convince your parents you need one.

Maybe you could sell your PC and buy a Macbook and run bootcamp for your xp gaming needs.

You silly silly boy - don't do that. Use the excuse that because Mac's have no games you'll be more focused on study and getting good grades.

*rolls eyes* I think I need to give bullcrapping classes to some of these kids.

tresbien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Maryland
I'm fifteen, and I just bought my macbook a few months ago. I bought mine used and for only 700 dollars (yes, I bought it myself, mommy and daddy dont buy me whatever I want) so I could experience mac's without actually dishing out 1400 for a brand new computer. I needed a laptop because I live with 9 other people, and we were all sharing one computer...its kind of self explanatory.

But your situation sounds like you don't really need one. So don't get one....there are a lot of other things you could spend your money on.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Save your money and wait until college to get one. You already have a perfectly fine computer as it is. Like someone else said earlier, you have to convince YOURSELF that you need a new computer as well.

So yeah, in a few years, you'll have enough saved to have a really really nice mobile system. :D

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Let me say that being a 16 year old and having a MacBook has made my life so much easier. I can use my own computer to do my papers and not my step mom's PC. I can use my computer to make a video for a class project. It is also nice for research and other personal things like messing around Mac Rumors forums... :cool:

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
My son would never get a laptop at 15

Wouldn't mind him having a desktop in his room but that is about it
That's nice, but nobody gives a flying fudge about your son. This guy wants to buy himself a MacBook and is trying to convince his parents he's spending his money wisely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.