PDA

View Full Version : What made you switch ?

James Craner
Dec 30, 2003, 05:03 AM
I switched over a year ago from Windows.

My story started as I was getting into digital photography and video editing. I started buying magazines on the subject and noticed that many of the articles talked about the Mac. I was having all sorts of problems using a PC video editing solution. The software would crash regularly or I would get frame drop errors. When burning DVD's if I tried to use another program I had an instant silver coaster!

Then one day I was in John Lewis in Bristol and I was looking at the Macs on display, when one of the sales people gave me a demo of the iApps. I was particularly impressed by iDVD and iMovie. At that point I decided that my next PC would be a Mac.

I then started browsing the net and it was MacRumors that helped answer some questions on how easy it was to switch and which Mac to get.

I have not looked back since. I now have an iPod, Powerbook and Airport network at home.

What made you Switch?

ckwm
Dec 30, 2003, 05:15 AM
My name is Chris and I switched last January.

I was looking for a replacement for a crumbling Dell laptop - so many problems I couldn't even begin to tell you! My brother has had Macs for ages and I was tempted by their stability, longevity, design and general coolness.

The other reason for the switch is harder to explain. I just wanted to get out of globalisation. Yes, I know I have bought a US product via Ireland which came from Taiwan. I wanted out of the Wintel duopoly. I wanted to do the whole 'think different' thing and show you can live differently. I am a Christian (Baptist Minister), we home educate our kids and do a whole load of things considered alternative and a bit odd. Who cares? We're having a whale of a time. I wish more people would see that life doesn't have to be the way the corporations say it has to be! **steps down from pulpit!**

I took the comfort blanket of Office v.X with me and took the plunge. As soon as I clicked on the order I panicked!

Well, I am more than happy. I still enjoy using my iMac after a year, which is more than I can say for any of my PCs. My dad, mum, wife and son all have Macs now so we are doing our bit to increase the sales!

hvfsl
Dec 30, 2003, 05:40 AM
I switched back in 1996 when the PowerPC Macs came out. Before then I had a 286PC that I only ever used for hangman and Word Perfect. I wish I had learnt about Macs when I got the 286, then I could have got a Mac instead.

I was first introduced to Macs at high school, where me and my friends had hours of fun in the libary playing multiplayer Marathon on the Macs there. But that only lastest for a few years because a new headmaster came along who did not aprove of computer games. :mad:

I now only buy portable Macs, and desktop PCs, because until the G5 came along, PCs were so much faster.

edesignuk
Dec 30, 2003, 06:16 AM
...I just fancied a change, I had just got a full time job and so some :D I had kinda been intrigued (sp? ...meh) by Macs, I thought the G4 tower at the time looked cool (400MHz AGP, w00t! POWAR!) and so I went for it.
I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of OS9 at all, it was nice just because it was a change from windows, but wasn't great and not overly stable IMO. It was when I got 10.1 that I really started to use it, and that is what prompted be into getting my (at the time top of the line DP1GHz) quicksilver, to run it at it's full potential.
I am not a 'switcher', I still use my PC day in day out and enjoy it and windows xp very much. I see both sides for their value.

iGav
Dec 30, 2003, 06:41 AM
I switched from Atari to Apple in 1994 when I started my college course in Graphic Design.... ;)

zoetropeuk
Dec 30, 2003, 07:17 AM
I switched from Atari to Apple in 1994 when I started my college course in Graphic Design....

I switched from an Atari 520STe to a Mac Classic in 1993 when I started Uni.

iGav
Dec 30, 2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by zoetropeuk

I switched from an Atari 520STe to a Mac Classic in 1993 when I started Uni.

I had a Atari 2600 (a console I know, but first rung on the ladder :D ) then a 65XE, then a 520STe, next came a 1040STFM and then Atari released the TT which I really... REALLY wanted and monstered anything Apple had out at the same time.... :eek: ;) :D but sadly, it wasn't to be... :(

First time I used a Mac was the Classic in 1993, and when I started College in '94, the Mac being the creative platform of choice, I've used Macs ever since. ;) :D

Horrortaxi
Dec 30, 2003, 12:21 PM
Windows drove me to switch.

I never even really wanted to use Windows. When 95 came out I wanted OS2 but I decided to wait a few months for more drivers and support. Instead MS killed OS2. Linux wasn't a viable option back then so I was stuck on Windows.

It always drove me crazy the way it was laid out. I had it set up to make it easy to use (as much as I could) and I later realized I was setting my desktop up like a Mac.

Win 98 disgruntled me because it was only a bugfix for Win 95 and XP flat pissed me off. Sure it's the best Windows so far but it's still not a usable OS. Then the rumors of the next OS, spynazi (aka Longhorn) broke and I decided I was out.

I had used my wife's Mac a couple of times and decided that was the way to go. Then late one night I had one of those "the PC ate my homework" moments. I went out the next morning and got my MDD PowerMac. I was so impressed that I then ordered an iBook to replace my ThinkPad.

Since I got my Mac I have booted up my PC twice--once to hook it to the new Mac to get my files off of it, and once when I needed some other file. I couldn't be happier.

Windows is the best advert for Apple.

Awimoway
Dec 30, 2003, 12:50 PM
I always hated Windows, didn't trust Microsoft. When I came to the point that I needed a new computer (because my wife and I were always fighting over the one beige box we owned), I was going into editing and desktop publishing, and a Mac user talked me into making the logical choice. As it turns out, it looks like I won't be doing editing/publishing for a living, but there's no way I'll ever go back to the dark side. Now if I could just convince my wife to switch...

Ironically, the person who convinced me to switch made the switch to Windows a month later. I was really surprised. I think it must have been a spur-of-the-moment type thing. He felt the cost-benefits ratio was better with Windows. But this was done just as Jaguar came out. Maybe if he had tried Jaguar he would have felt differently. I think he was one of those who wasn't too impressed with 10.0 and 10.1 so he clung to 9. And, yeah, comparing 9 to XP does make 9 look a little primitive.

noel4r
Dec 30, 2003, 01:18 PM
I switched in 2001 when they announced the new iMacs, I decided on the eMac instead though. OS X made me switched. I got bored with Windows, I started working in an office where I'm sitting in front of a windows box 8 hours a day. When I get home, I didn't want another boring box to play with so along came the eMac. Haven't had any problem with it. My next Mac will be a G5 portable.

rueyeet
Dec 30, 2003, 01:57 PM
I switched just over a year ago. The sordid tale:

As someone who could configure the heck out of an autoexec.bat or config.sys file back in Windows 3.1, the addition of the registry to Windows was not just an incomprehensible inconvenience, but an insult. Every release since has just put more and more artificial complexity in between the system and the user.

In contrast, Apple just kept coming out with interesting and drool-worthy stuff. My brother-in-law would walk around the house, TiBook in hand, Web-surfing from the couch via AirPort (years before Centrino, mind you). And I was starting to hear about OS X. An honest-to-goodness user-friendly interface over Unix...and you could still run Office on it!

Then I tried to upgrade my IBM ThinkPad from Windows ME (surely the worst, buggiest, and most unstable version of Windows since 1.0) to Windows 2000 Pro. The new OS would NOT, no matter what I did, correctly recognize the integrated sound card. I went to Microsoft. I went to IBM. I updated the BIOS. Downloaded and installed codecs and drivers. Looked at services and registry entries. I spent at least four evenings tearing my hair out trying to get that thing working, and inventing new curses. :mad: :o

Finally, I admitted defeat. After everything I had tried changing to make the sound work, the system was unstable, so I had to use the Restore disk, wipe the drive, and reinstall everything from scratch (after archiving all my own files of course).

I'd HAD it with Windows. Within a week, I'd ordered my nice shiny TiBook, with the just-released Jaguar OS X, an AirPort base station, and a 10 GB iPod, and had set up the ThinkPad for my mom (hey, it was better than her old 486!). And I haven't had more than a moment's trouble on the Mac side since...except with getting my roomate's XP laptop to connect to the AirPort network.

I still have to use Windows at work, and shudder to think that I'll probably get stuck with Longhorn eventually....but at least I can go home to my Mac. :cool:

bousozoku
Dec 30, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
I had a Atari 2600 (a console I know, but first rung on the ladder :D ) then a 65XE, then a 520STe, next came a 1040STFM and then Atari released the TT which I really... REALLY wanted and monstered anything Apple had out at the same time.... :eek: ;) :D but sadly, it wasn't to be... :(

First time I used a Mac was the Classic in 1993, and when I started College in '94, the Mac being the creative platform of choice, I've used Macs ever since. ;) :D

I still have a similar Atari zoo, but only one is running right now.

My Atari 1040ST upgraded to 16 MHz (!) was my everyday machine, helping me to develop and do graphics work.

Along came a deal for an IBM laptop at 25 percent of the price just one year after it had been introduced. I decided to go for it and having worked with PCs as a part of my duties, I thought that it would be fine.

2 years of fighting with conventional, extended, expanded, low, and high memory and memory managers was getting me nowhere. By chance, the mouse port stopped working. I took it to be repaired under contract and they told me that the motherboard cost more than the computer was worth. They paid out nearly $1000 and I went straightaway and bought a Performa.

I went from spending 99 percent of my time configuring the machine to run a certain application to running applications 99 percent of the time. :)

blueflame
Dec 30, 2003, 03:08 PM
I always hated Apple Computers... they embodied exactly what I didnt want with a computer. Something that didnt
let me use a terminal, something thst was ugly, and something that in my opinion was not well laid out. Then the people and their unrequitting love of the mac bugged me also, because at the time i still believe win98 was better than mac os9

anyway

When i got the word or Win XP after having tried win 2000 and seeing that there was no more DOS, and knowing there would be no more in XP Either, i got upset. Then the fact that the win xp system was so big and bulky, talkes up sooo much desktop space.

Eventually, i was looking into a new comnputer, and i found out about the titanium powerbook, which was the sexiest computer ever, and loked how small it was, ( I had a compaq at the time)

so i heard about OS X being based on unix, and the fact that there was word for mac, i decided to go PC cold turkey. It was hard

I since have literally become the complete opposite of what i started out as. Die Hard Mac User. I love the people, and AM one of the people, i have now converted 14 PC users to mac. I loe terminal, i love the eye candy. Using windows make me sick now.

FYI i have had a TiBook 400, iBook 700, and am now on a 17 alubook with issight apple bt keyboard, mouse, and soundsticks. I LOVE MY MAC!
Andreas

Awimoway
Dec 30, 2003, 03:13 PM
That's funny. I was something of a Mac-hater, too, before I switched. I think in some ways I am still justified in feeling that way because it was pre-OS X Macs that I hated. I still hate those. ;)

But a lot of my resentment had more to do with the fact that things are just different. They're not really worse, just different. Computer users tend to freak out when they see things done differently, but if they would just calm down and be a little more open-minded, they would see that it's not any worse. That's my first line of offense when evangelizing the Mac is to get people to chill out when they see that it's not exactly the same as it is on their PC, but it's no worse and in many ways much better.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 30, 2003, 03:41 PM
I remember getting a spam email from Apple when the new flat panel iMacs came out, and I thought it looked really cool. Having not used a Mac since the Classic at school in the years before Win 95, I had not seen how they had evolved.

This year, I wanted to get a laptop computer of my own for my uni work. I needed to get it in September at the latest but I started investigating in March or so. I thought I'd check to see how Apple was doing and noticed that they were still beautiful machines. At this time I had not even heard of the iPod! I bought a couple of Mac magazines and began to fall in love with Mac OS X. It seemed like a breath of fresh air. It didn't take long before I stumbled upon MacRumors, and have been checking it regularly since, although I only began posting in September.

My family has been dead against Macs, as they don't think they are compatible. But I've always been the creative type so a Mac fits well with what I like doing with a computer. In the end, I decided I'd go for a Mac but now I had to decide between the iBook and the PowerBook. Due to cost reasons, the 12" PB was my absolute limit, and I was lured by the chance of owning a DVD-writing superdrive! When they were finally updated, I bagged the new 1GHz 12" PB with Superdrive. It arrived just in time for uni and I was eligable for the Panther upgrade with a little persuading of Apple! (Thanks again for that story on MacRumors!)

My parents have since upgraded our Win 98 PC to a Dell 2.4 GHz P4 with XP (which I've grown to hate!!! I believe Win 2k is the best Windows ever made). My dad has recently been very impressed when he learnt that his digital video camera hooked up with no problems over FireWire and I have Final Cut Express to edit our holiday videos and then burn to DVD. He's very impressed with the simplicity of it all. I think he's warming to Macs :)

I have to say, I don't care much for OS 9, but my PowerBook has served me very well this last few months and I'm excited by all the wonderful things I can do with this machine. I just installed 512MB RAM from Crucial today to max my machine at 768MB and it is much snappier! At Easter, I will get Logic 6 and I won't need my PC ever again then!

I guess I now have the best of both worlds. I can use Windows when I have to, but have a Mac for its strengths also. There's no doubt in my mind that my next computer will also be a Mac (dual G5...:cool: :D ) but my parents still prefer to plod away with PC after PC...:( At least they don't shun Macs any more :D

1macker1
Dec 30, 2003, 03:44 PM
I switched about a year ago. There were no underlying reasons why. I had the extra money, so i was in the market to buy a new computer. I asked around at first, but everyone was PC users, and they bashed the living **** out of Macs, yet they said "i've never used one." So one day i went to CompUSA and saw the 17" iMac, and I was instantly hooked!

KershMan
Dec 30, 2003, 03:51 PM
I switched two years ago (in January actually, so 23 months) because of OS X. I have used UNIX (Solaris, HP Unix, SunOS) and variants (all forms of Linux, VMS) for most of my adult work life (~17 years). I used Windows only because I had to for MS Office. But, most of my time was on HP, Sun, and DEC hardware platforms running some version of Oracle, maps, etc. (I was in the Army 12 years doing this).

I went to Linux in my house as a file server/print server beginning in 1998. I have used numerous versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, and even Corel and Debian for a short time.

When OS X started to get fairly stable and recieve some attention near the end of 2001 and Office v.X came out, I thought I would try it out. I bought a 600 MHz iBook in January 2002 and I have not looked back.

I bought an 800MHz, 15" iMac that summer with a SuperDrive (new file server/print server and video editing) and another iBook (800 MHz) in the fall of 2002. Last January I stepped up to the 12" PowerBook. I gave my wife the 800 MHz iBook and we gave her sister the 600MHz.

All are still going strong. We have had the 800MHz repaired three times (ongoing display issue), but the service has always been prompt and the computer returned within days.

I look forward to upgrading my PowerBook in 2004. I may or may not jump to the 15". I love the size of the 12" because I travel quite a bit, but the screen on the 15" is beautiful.

I want a SuperDrive in the notebook this time and will probably wait for the G5 to go in there.

All and all I am pleased. I have been through a Jaguar and Panther upgrade and have little to zero problems during the process. I always seemed to have problems with Windows updgrades. I.E., needed new drivers, some software just didn't work, etc.

Waluigi
Dec 30, 2003, 04:04 PM
Up until 2000, I absolutely hated macs (well, the simple text talking feature was the only exception), and bad mouthed them because they were 'slow, stupid, and non-compatible'. Then Apple came out with OSX, the superdrive, the PowerBook Titanium, and G4 cube. Those caght my attention, and made me look at apple seriously. The more I looked, the more I coveted geting a mac. In late 2001 I heard rumors that apple would be coming out with a G5 at Mac World in January 2002. This was perfect, because altought apple had killer design, and software, the G4's I used at work were really sluggish. So, I told myself, that once the G5 came out, I'd buy one. So when the G5 finally did in June of 2003, I bought a dual 2GHz, and LOVE it. Using OSX and all of apple's apps on a daily basis for work and pleasure is really beyond amazing. I've converted most of my friends and family from mac haters into mac lovers who drool over the latest and greatest products in the local apple store. This is the best computer ever made, and my next computer will be a PowerBook G6 (or whatever they call it).

--Waluigi

ExoticFish
Dec 30, 2003, 04:16 PM
OS X made me switch, HOOAH!!!

matthew24
Dec 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
OSX - Office for Mac - Apple's support for open standard's - and my experiences with MS software.

My first computer? Atari 520ST+ (1meg memory)

encro
Dec 31, 2003, 09:58 AM
Amiga 500
Amiga 600
Amiga 1200 (All are still working)

frustrations with Commodores mishandling of the Amiga forced a switch to a Flat-Panel 15inch iMac with 768Meg of Ram in 2002.

The ironic thing is it felt like natural progression as OS X felt just like using the AmigaOS but very updated.

Hacking accounts on the VMS Unix machines at Uni back when I was a lad also helped with the excitement factor.

I would never ever ever have switched if Apple had continued with the previous classic OS. Also use XP and 98 at work and find it more annoying than helpful.

My only regret is that I wish I had bought a laptop.

kuyu
Dec 31, 2003, 11:29 AM
I started college, and knew I needed my own machine. My parents refused to pay for one, so I was on my own. I'd done some web design on OS 9 in high-school, and absolutely hated it. On a trip to the local compusa, I inadvertantly meandered into the mac section. I took one look at OS X and had to check it out.

I did my research, and the G4 seemed like a good processor, but the OS sold me. A month later I bought an eMac 700 combo. I love my pegasus, and still use it everyday.

Windows XP isn't a bad OS IMO, but for me OS X seemed like a better fit. I still use XP occasionaly, but I get so much more done on the mac.

Now I'm saving for a 15" G5 powerbook. Not that I NEED one, but I sure as hell want one.