Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GearLive reports that Apple has seeded a beta version of iPhone 2.1 Firmware to developers.

According to the site, Apple has included new Core Location features that might suggest that turn-by-turn GPS could become a reality. Core Location can reportedly track your direction and the speed at which you are traveling.

Along with the new firmware, Apple has also seeded a new version of the iPhone SDK but the new SDK can not be used to submit Apps to the current App Store. There have been earlier reports that Firmware 2.0.1 had been spotted in the wild, but a 2.1 upgrade would presumably introduce more than just bug fixes.

Article Link

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Awesome! Hopefully its more stable. Copy & Paste would be good. Maybe some MMS if were lucky. :)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Installing it on my old iPhone right now. They said not to install it on a production device. There is three version iPhone, 3G iPhone, and iPod Touch.

LoCarbHotrod

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I just want my smooth UI, and stability back.

Edit: Actually no, I want smooth UI, stability, fast browsing speed, removal of SMS typing lag, push email to work properly, Safari to quit crashing, better battery life, and copy/paste.

OK, thats it.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Life support ain't cheap man, and Steve will be on it any day from the looks of things...

Seriously speaking though, I just hope it addresses stability, and gets rid of the awful lag that happens from time to time in SMS and contacts. Copy/Paste would be nice, but that ain't coming out in a minor update... that's something Steve's gonna wanna take credit for on stage like he's the first one to implement it or something (and surprisingly, everyone will roar with applause as if he did).

I wonder how much Steve will charge iPod touch owners for this latest upgrade. ;)

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If they release turn by turn GPS, that would be freaking sweet. I mean hook that thing up to the Aux input of your car and go to town. The iphone 3g would then truly be the greatest phone ever. That and if they would just release MMS to shut up the critics, and I don't even care about MMS.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Looking forward to this more than I was for 2.0 itself. Hopefully this will be a stable version of 2.0...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
early push notification APIs for apps also said to be in it.

arn

BMP1199

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
can't wait. Im just glad I have the iPhone now so I don't have to pay for updates haha. What a rip for iPod users

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Installing it on my old iPhone right now. They said not to install it on a production device. There is three version iPhone, 3G iPhone, and iPod Touch.

Where are the downloads for this located? I'm a paid member of Apple's Dev Program. All I see is the SDK download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.