Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Anyone else bothered that your apps are rearranged when they get updated?

With 3-4 pages, and spending time to organize well, it's very annoying when you try keep games on one, and other such things in the right page for it to being dropped in the nearest open spot and have to recall where they were before.

Just now I updated 3, even pulling one that was in the gray bar at the bottom.

This is going to be tiresome if updates are common.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I totally agree. I wish they would stay put, or there was an easier way to rearrange them, like doing it through itunes and having it synch back.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is going to be tiresome if updates are common.

Ehh, all these apps were just released. 1.0's all around. They're also buggy as hell. Give it a few months and I bet the update rate will drop off a bit. I'm updating 4 right now. It is annoying that they don't stay in place.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
i agree. i hate that!

i have not once successfully updated an app either directly from my iPhone, or from my mac, while the app still exists on my iPhone. I have to download the update on my computer, go back to my phone, delete the app (losing my high scores on monkey ball etc.) go back to my computer and sync. Even that only works half the time :(

Because I have to delete them, they move anyways. Hopefully everything will get sorted out soon.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I have a strange thing where I cannot update all the apps at the same time because it states that my iTunes credit needs updating (even though it doesn't). I have to update individually. What a pain...

Vintage Season

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Curious. None of the apps we are using have been updated yet, so I am not sure whether this would also apply, but what happens if you download all of your updates through iTunes (so that the original .app files are overwritten) and then re-synch your device?

- M.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Argh!

I turned on my phone this morning to find that I had EIGHT updates! Started downloading them now, when I realized my carefully laid-out homescreens are all going to be wrecked! :mad:

(They're also taking way longer than usual, and I'm on wifi).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I am not sure, but I may have found a way to keep the apps in the same order.

Leave one spot blank on each page.

I tried this when deleting and reinstalling an app, and nothing moved. Updates may be different. I guess I will know soon enough as I have 4 apps to update.

Edit:

Doesn't work 100% of the time.

I would imagine that Apple will address this during an OS update.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I've had an update or two just about every day and it always puts it in the first spot available (which is usually the main home screen next to the App store since I leave those two spots free.)

I think the reason way it does this is so that you know what app has been updated most recently. Still, I agree, it's annoying.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
OK, an update on my updating!:

So I was downloading 8(!) app updates this morning, and it was taking forever. I finally had to leave for work while it was downloading the last couple. When I got into the subway, there was one last app (Exposure) still downloading -- but I was in a rush, so couldn't wait. And from what I understood, if an app download was interrupted, it would just resume again when there was a connection.

So I get to work, and....

...Exposure is still installing.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Meanwhile, all this time, the App Store app had a (1) on it, showing that one app still needed updating. I check again -- still installing.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Finally I go into the App Store, where it shows Exposure is still the app that needs updating. I thought "Maybe I need to try it again?" I'm about to do something, when all of a sudden it dissapears from the update section, and it says "All Apps Up-to-date."

OK, great! So I go to where Exposure is, and....

...STILL updating!!

It's been like this for 40 mins now! But I can't delete the app while it's installing, and I can't USE it either! WTF?!? Seems like it's stuck like this. Should I try downloading it again, or will that seriously screw up things on my phone?

Oh, and by the way... the 8 apps I downloaded did NOT fill up every empty space in order (this is the first time it didn't do that). They filled up the empty space on my first homescreen, but then showed up in random places on the rest of my screens -- always at the end, but NOT filling up every space. Weird!!

EDIT: Still installing! And I just noticed it's sucking up my battery power like crazy!

EDIT 2: I finally just shut the power down, and started up again. As soon as it came on, it prompted me for my iTunes password, and started redownloading again -- so that seemed to work. (Thankfully it's a small app, as I don't have wifi access at work). It almost seemed like it was stuck again for a moment there, but then it FINALLY installed completely. Whew!

sm2teach

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
Texas
I have a strange thing where I cannot update all the apps at the same time because it states that my iTunes credit needs updating (even though it doesn't). I have to update individually. What a pain...

This is happening to me too. I have a gift card credit now where before I didn't. Do you think this could be the cause? I would not have thought to update individually. Thanks for the hint.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I guess it dosen't bother me as much since I only have 2 pages of apps...I don't want to have to keep fliping just to get to the app I need to use, that would be even more annoying.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX

This is happening to me too. I have a gift card credit now where before I didn't. Do you think this could be the cause? I would not have thought to update individually. Thanks for the hint.

I had that problem this morning. I recently bought tickets to a concert on TicketMaster.com and was given credit for 2 songs on iTunes. I'd been able to update fine before they were loaded into my account, but once those credits were applied to my account it would let me use the mass update function. I spent the credits and lo and behold - mass update works. That is, when the update tool even tells me any of my apps have updates in the first place. I usually just browse the store every day and update manually.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
anyone else have this problem?

i love the app store, but whenever i try to download any apps, and i try to put in my aol username and password, it is ALWAYS incorrect. wtf? i know for damn sure i am typing it in right but its still incorrect.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
i love the app store, but whenever i try to download any apps, and i try to put in my aol username and password, it is ALWAYS incorrect. wtf? i know for damn sure i am typing it in right but its still incorrect.

Maybe it's because you're using your aol username/password, and not your iTunes one? Just a thought...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If you update an App from within iTunes I am pretty sure it retains its current position on the Home Screen.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
How do you update from iTunes????
There should be an Application section (like there is an Audiobooks section) in the left pane. When you click that all your Apps you have downloaded/brought are listed. At the bottom should be two links. One to get more apps and the other to update apps. Click the update apps link. From there you should be able to update all your apps at once. When you sync your iPhone/Touch the updated apps will be transferred over.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
How do you update from iTunes????

Click on the Applications folder in your iTunes library and then Check for Updates.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 72

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
If you'll look at the login prompt, it allows for AOL account information if this is how you set it up. That's not the problem.

Ah, it's been sooooo long, I forgot through your AOL account was possible. What's that about anyway? First Apple and AOL teamed up with instant messaging. Then they later teamed up for iTunes. Was there any other connections between them? I keep forgetting about AOL -- I got rid of my account 7 years ago. It seems so "dead" to me... LOL.

If you update an App from within iTunes I am pretty sure it retains its current position on the Home Screen.

Good to know. Although, since syncing the iPhone now is a whole different pain, I'm not sure which way is worse/better.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Good to know. Although, since syncing the iPhone now is a whole different pain, I'm not sure which way is worse/better.

Just cancel the backing up step by pressing the little x, that's what I do these days as all of my important stuff is sync'd, don't really care too much about losing text messages or settings etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.