Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacObserver notes that the most recent (November) MP3 Player sales numbers from IDC continues to place the iPod at #1 in overall sales.

The 10GB Apple iPod ($299) reportedly edged out the cheaper 128MB Digitalway ($140) in overall sales, with the remainder of the iPod models also being well represented:
1. 10GB iPod ($299)
2. 128MB Digitalway ($140)
3. 20GB iPod ($399)
4. 128MB iRiver ($119.99-$139.99))
5. 40GB iPod ($499)
These numbers only represent November 2003 sales. Holiday sales, as well as the effect of the rumored "Mini" iPods should prove to be interesting.

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
I didn't get an iPod for Christmas

But I got a hot tub, so I'm not going to get whiny about it. I'm probably going to just buckle under and buy an iPod during Macworld...Although I'm probably not going to go for the mini.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The current iPods pretty much crap out after being shaken (while running) for like 45 minutes.

would a Flash technology mini-ipod be easier to run with? As in, would it have the same skipping problems??

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I can't even imagine the distance that Apple put between them and second place during the holidays. Everyone I know has an ipod now (except me, but that's because I just don't think I would use it that much).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by carletonmusic
The current iPods pretty much crap out after being shaken (while running) for like 45 minutes.

would a Flash technology mini-ipod be easier to run with? As in, would it have the same skipping problems??

I have doubts the mini-iPods will be Flash-based.

But yes, flash wouldn't skip.... the biggest problem with Flash-based players is that you will run out of songs to play after 45 minutes... since flash is costly and you don't get as much storage.

arn

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Nothing in same market segment beats it

This ranking is remarkable. The two non-Apple players are totally different beasts--only 128MB. The ipods are 80, 160, 320x as large (although, yes, more expensive). Totally different markets. A 128mb player is good only for short trips, and obviously appeals to the folks who aren't willing/able to put up $300+ for an MP3 player.

As the earlier post points out, apple could have the top 5 slots with reasonably priced 2gb/4gb players. Why pay $150 for 128MB when you can get 2gb of tunes?

Wow.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
"Of most interest in the overall best sellers category was the fact more expensive, high capacity players from Apple dominated the industry group with a smattering of cheaper, smaller capacity players interspersed. "This category alone tells you consumers are very much divided over what they want - cheaper players to play a small number of songs or more expensive players to house the entire library," said Baker."-from the article.

if you consider apple design, larg storage capacity, colors, starting at $99 (guessing), the hot product of the moment, and that apple sold roughly 1 million relatively expensive ipods already, i think apple will make an absolute killing with the minipod!

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by carletonmusic

Well, a HD is a mechanical device; flash memory is electronic or solid-state. Flash does have a limit to vibration though, but it's much higher than a HD.

mhouse

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2003
North Carolina
The More I Hear...

The more I hear, the more I think we're going to see a cool, multi-colored flash-based line of iPods. Many people here at MacRumors have already voiced this and I just want to place my bet also.

If you look at this top five list, frankly there doesn't seem to be much of a market for a "mid-level" iPod (the rumored 2 or 4 gb models) along the the lines of a Rio Nitrus. Instead consumers seem to want either a huge HDD based player to take all of their music, or a small flash-based model for more active lifestyles.

The more I read, the more it becomes apparent that Apple could virtually corner the digital music market by releasing a flash-based player.

Of course a 2 gb model for 99 bucks truly would be awesome...just can't imagine how they could pull it off.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by arn
I have doubts the mini-iPods will be Flash-based.
One potential advantage to a Flash-based iPod is that the storage could be easily upgradeable. Buy a 256 MB flash card to start with, and then when you realize how much you like your iPod (or the price of the latest flash drops enough), then you can buy a larger flash card.

I have a Digital Rebel camera which is driving me into the Flash market. I think it would be cool to move cards back and forth between the camera and the iPod as needed.

I disagree, i think there definatly is a niche for smaller capacity mp3 players. i personally have a 10gb gen 2 ipod, however before i got that around march of 03, i did have a samsung yepp(which was a piece of crap by the way) and my sister got that freaky triangular iriver one. she paid approximatly $150 for that because she didnt need her entire library, she just wanteed something small that she could use at the gym. if you look at the numbers, 2 of the top 5 are these small capacity cheap players because different people have different tastes and use electronics differently. i think its admirable(or at least business savvy) for apple to produce a products which can cater to a person's use of a product. i can tell you for sure that if a 2gb "mini" ipod were on the market when my sister bought her iriver, she would have gotten the ipod.

kubrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2003
The Daily Telegraph confirms

The Daily Telegraph confirms that the mini iPods are coming next week and for only £65

(The journalist thinks that in Apple-land, $100 = £65, but there we go)

This is the first time I have ever seen such a rumour make front page broadsheet news here in the UK. Just goes to show how newsworthy the iPod has been over here this Christmas.

(I saw one for sale at John Lewis in Liverpool yesterday, if anyone's interested ;) It's the last one in the UK)

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Market Analysts have said this yr is beginning of the end for flash players and next yr will be the beginning of HD players.

Knowing that I doubt Apple will use a flash based player unless its used in a phone or something.

I've exercised with my iPod on for over and hr and never had it crap out on me.
This includes running, jumping rope, biking and such..

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Impressive placement. Obviously Apple is blowing away the real competition (I don't consider a 128K flash player competition; it's a completely different product).

I think the mini ipod will be HD-based. If the choice is a 512MB flash or 2GB HD for the same price (say, $80-$100 in bulk, for a $150-$200 iPod), Apple will go with the HD. Apple makes high-end products with high costs and margins. I don't see Apple intentionally getting into a price war with low-cost commodities.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by JoeRadar
One potential advantage to a Flash-based iPod is that the storage could be easily upgradeable. Buy a 256 MB flash card to start with, and then when you realize how much you like your iPod (or the price of the latest flash drops enough), then you can buy a larger flash card.

I have a Digital Rebel camera which is driving me into the Flash market. I think it would be cool to move cards back and forth between the camera and the iPod as needed.

They already have this. It's called a Photo reader. It maybe slow but I'm sure a faster one will come about next yr.

If you got Rebel then you should've just gotten a 1GB card. Because I don't want to change out every 10 pics or so.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Since the other newer hard drive based devices were released in October/November I would expect ZERO impact by them. Even on Christmas/holiday sales I'd expect little impact since few people know about them yet. I'm predicting that the Dell device is going to start off in the top 10. Grab one of the top five by summer and from there it’s all up to apple, their mini-iPod gambit, and how well they sell iTMS this spring/summer. The McDonalds/Pepsi promos should drastically increase user awareness of iTMS and as a result the iPod. Apple has one huge advantage over Dell. Retail outlets for sales.
I really believe that Dell will eventually take this road once they realize they aren’t getting as many sales as they could if they used brick and mortar shops. My point is don’t get cocky just yet. Let me know how the iPod is doing November of 2004 and then you can start gloating.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am surprised the the iPod is doing so well with it's relatively high price tag compared to much of the competition, but that's wonderful. I have been holding off on getting one because I am unwilling to spend $300+ on an iPod with a massive capacity when I only have about a gig worth of songs, so I don't need to pay a premium for 10's of gigs of storage.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by Dstreelm
I disagree, i think there definatly is a niche for smaller capacity mp3 players.
I don't see any problems with Apple trying to sew up every market segment - small memory-based players geared towards athletes, entry level 2-4 GB HD-based solutions for people who want to try iPods but not spend $300, and then the high-end models with 20-60 GB of storage for the serious audio fan (I have lots of books in addition to music on mine).

The more Apple can expand the market, make more money, expand mind-share, bring people into the iTunes and iTMS fold, and get people to think Apple is cool, the better it will be for Apple and Apple fans.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Looking at the top five, the sweet spot seems to be $150 for the low end. If Apple can get a 512MB flash-based player for $149, why would people buy anything else.

We'll see. I'm dobutful Apple will do a flash-based player. And if it's HD-based, I think we're looking at $199 for entry, maybe $169 if we're lucky.

$169 - 2GB
$219 - 4GB
$269 - 10GB
$329 - 20GB
$399 - 40GB

My guess is that Dec. numbers will be somewhat different. I think Creative and Dell made much more of a marketing push in December. But then again, Apple probably owned the HD-based player market.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by ITR 81
They already have this. It's called a Photo reader. It maybe slow but I'm sure a faster one will come about next yr.

If you got Rebel then you should've just gotten a 1GB card. Because I don't want to change out every 10 pics or so.
I looked at transferring pictures to my iPod, but it still looked too clunky out in the field. I still carry my laptop with me, so in the evening I use iPhoto to store daily pictures on my laptop.

BTW, Apple should really promote the laptops and iPhoto for tourists. Great combination.

(With Jpeg compression, a 256 MB card holds about 100 pictures for the 6 megapixel camera.)

Ling

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
Oberlin, OH
I agree. There is no reason for Apple to go with Flash. It doesn't mesh well with high-end or simplicity...imagine having 10 cards to sort through, even if each one had a different playlist.

However, I remembered reading a while back that a start-up had designed a cheaper and simpler 1 inch hard drive.

"The 1.5 GB drive, which has been in volume manufacturing since mid-April, sells for $65 in quantities of 10,000. The company is aiming for $50." - http://news.com.com/2100-1041-1012235.html

With a $50 drive, Apple may be able to stick an iPod together and still make a profit selling at $99. Even at $125-150, these would blow away the low end market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.