PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Farmers Contributed to House Panel

zimv20
Dec 30, 2003, 12:21 PM
link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=703&e=4&u=/ap/20031229/ap_on_re_us/mad_cow_politics)

The dairy industry contributed to most members of a key House committee who voted nearly in lockstep against banning the sale of meat from ill or disabled animals, like the one that tested positive last week for mad cow disease.

Political action committees representing dairy farmers gave money to 33 of the 51 members of the House Agriculture Committee, an Associated Press review of campaign reports shows.

Of the 33, 28 voted against the ban on marketing "downed" animals, four voted for it and one didn't vote, when it was defeated 202-199 in July.

i know it's not a new thing, but i remain disgusted when policy is for sale. and in this instance, it made the difference.

also:

Most "downers" are old dairy cows whose meat can bring farmers a little extra revenue. The Agriculture Department estimates that 130,000 are brought to slaughterhouses every year, and that those showing signs of mad cow disease are tested.

before it goes out of my brain, i heard some interesting figures on the TV the other day (either PBS or World News Tonight, i forget which): the UK tests 20,000 cows/day for BSE. the US tests 20,000 cows/year.

wwworry
Dec 30, 2003, 12:59 PM
we know our govt. is for sale but what's surprising is how cheap it is.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 30, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by wwworry
we know our govt. is for sale but what's surprising is how cheap it is. Its a Sad sad situation we need to ban corporations from pooring money into those g.d. politicians. are whole system of govt has been corrupted by democrats,republicans and big business. If you think this is bad take a look at the sugar industry. They donate to both sides so who do you think looses? me and you . who wins? the politicians & big business. Thanks again zimv20