Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
I know that on forums most people only bother to post with issues. That being said I do love my macbook, iPhone, iPods, etc., so this isn't a total bash just an observation.

During the big weekend of 3G my macbook keyboard and trackpad died. Called support and after the usual hoo-ha try this, etc., it still didn't work. Before calling I also tried some steps I was told to try from this site, and I appreciated that advice.

No go, had to send it back as I have no store nearby and no time to schlep it around. Got the box, back to repair, back to me in about 5 days.

And...it doesn't work. Nobody at their repair center in TN apparently bothered to turn it back on after replacing the keyboard/top case assembly.

So another call and it goes back again after re-trying the same steps tried the first time.

Nice QC. I am OK with something "breaking" but fix it right and fix it right the first time. Shame on them as this is a laptop I use from home so I don't have to commute to work everyday.

Oh yeah, it was also covered in grease smudges, even on the "new" keyboard.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They DO test after repairs.

Have you tried calling regarding the repair?

What are the "steps" you performed?

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I'm not sure what I should ask them in reference to the number. I gave them all the info from the repair. He had nothing other than that they replaced the keyboard and top assembly. Even with an external mouse keyboard is d.o.a.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

steps were login as another user. Not possible no keyboard. Had me clear caches folder and delete some com.apple files. Opt cmd p r boot um, not without a keyboard.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Bah, that stinks. I had my keyboard and trackpad die on my MBP last February. Luckily I had an apple store nearby, so I didn't have to send it in.

I bet this time around it's not a dead keyboard again but rather a loose connection. Which might explain how it got sent back to you (i.e., worked fine before they boxed it up, then the connection severed in transit). Still not acceptable, though.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007

That sounds logical that it's a connection. It'll get resolved just disappointed. At least I have iPhone for email, etc.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
I admit when I'm wrong so here goes.

It didn't work one bit Thursday or Friday when I called Apple. I got it home last night and had asked my wife to bring her wireless keyboard home. I booted up and did option-command-P-R, holding until the second "bong" it still didn't work so I restarted. At the restart the keyboard and trackpad became responsive.

It still doesn't make sense and I'll keep an eye on it but at this point it appears it was fixed but something odd must've happened between the repair and my home.

Thanks.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Just wanted to continue this as a bit of a vent.

It did indeed go dead again after repair 1, sent back for repair 2, the tech stated that he'd specifically request a new logic board. Per the repair this wasn't done.

About 1 week after repair 2 it was dead again, no resets would get it going.

I'm now on repair 3, no offense but this apple is a total lemon, same issue 3 times. I'm still waiting for a return, status is "repair in progress."

I wasn't too pleased with the handling of the issue by apple and at this point I'm quite disappointed overall in the quality of the hardware. The apple experience in terms of OS X has been great but I never had these issues with any PC hardware I've ever had, whether work or home PCs.

Sorry to vent, but this saga is getting absurd.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Just wanted to continue this as a bit of a vent.

It did indeed go dead again after repair 1, sent back for repair 2, the tech stated that he'd specifically request a new logic board. Per the repair this wasn't done.

About 1 week after repair 2 it was dead again, no resets would get it going.

I'm now on repair 3, no offense but this apple is a total lemon, same issue 3 times. I'm still waiting for a return, status is "repair in progress."

I wasn't too pleased with the handling of the issue by apple and at this point I'm quite disappointed overall in the quality of the hardware. The apple experience in terms of OS X has been great but I never had these issues with any PC hardware I've ever had, whether work or home PCs.

Sorry to vent, but this saga is getting absurd.

Write to Executive services, they will get the job done.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
Is there a number of repairs that have to be done before you can get credit toward a new mac or just swap it out for a new mac? I still dont know how the process goes. And if you do have a store near you, do you take it to the store where they repair it there or do they just ship it to the repair center from the store?

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for the idea. Do you know where I can get the address fit executive services? Thanks again.

psiachris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Well, what I hope is a final follow-up, because I will give credit where do.

I did email sjobs@apple.com. i have no idea if that had anything to do with it, I assume Mr. Jobs doesn't necessarily read them all but perhaps an assistant does. I explained the whole situation and provided the repair IDs.

I received an email from a product champ at apple offering a replacement in kind, so the latest version of the $1299 macbook. I accepted as I had used time machine to backup. He stated that they were confident the original could be fixed but that they would like to keep it to see what had really gone wrong. He was very nice to speak to and all went well, I got the new MacBook via next day air.

In the end I'm happy. I still think the original had gremlins/was a lemon but I was polite in both phone and email to Apple, I never demanded anything only that I wanted a laptop that worked as intended.

Sorry if this is an unnecessary post but again, if I am going to post about a negative I wanted to state that it had been resolved and I feel positively about Apple.

Thanks, take care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.