Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evirob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
Hi Guys,

Just a few hrs ago, my mum's colleague who is some IS Engineer came over to my place to set up some VPN stuff for my mum.

When he went past my room, he saw my MBA and remarked that "Just Like all Apple products, they're all style and no substance"......He then proceeded to "showcase his Lenovo Tablet X61"..... Claims that it beats my MBA hands down in functionality and getting "real tasks" done...However Vista took like 5 mins to load on it. Guess what, it has upgraded 4GB Ram & a upgraded 7200 rpm HDD not to mention a 1.8 C2D!!!

Can't understand why some guys love to use things that are so bloated and slow..... Besides, nothing wrong to just have a better looking tool...Maybe he's jealous that his looks really *****....LOL

This post is just for me to vent my frustration...:cool:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
If it makes you feel better, that guy has a classic case of Mac envy.

Think about it: This guy walks by computers all day, but do you think he stops and berates the owners of every one? I doubt it. So why did he do it to you? You've got the Mac he secrectly desires. Then he's got to list all the reasons he thinks his piece-o-cra* computer is better than yours. It he trying to convince you? I think he's trying to convince himself.

If you see him again, let him know he'll be a lot happier once he just goes ahead and gets that Mac he so desires ;)

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
did u challenge him!! side by side comparisons with your MBA?? tell me you did, u can't let someone insult your MBA like that, c'mon now:D

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The x61t is a nice computer, but it's a brick compared to the MBA. The screen on the tablet is also very dim compared to that of the MBA.

evirob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
I never challenged him....Just told him I had a X40 before the MBA and the only thing that it edges out the MBA is the keyboard....maybe its more rugged too...

He also told me that Vista is much better than Leopard, cos it is more user friendly and secure!!!!

I dunno what to say..... These guys just dunno what is really good for them...

Maybe they like the complicated user interfaces that make them look more like IT experts.....LOL

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Did it ever cross your mind that for this "engineer" his PC gets his "real tasks" done, whereas a Mac might not?

evirob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
Yeah, u might be right. PCs work better on for some tasks but slagging others personal choices is pretty bad to me....

I use ACad LT daily via Bootcamp on my MBA too as I'm in the engineering line myself.....I would say Macs can do most tasks....

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
While it's true that the MBA may not be the right choice for people who are serious about multi-tasking and running 'proffessional' applications on their computers, or people who want or need to store over 100GB on their laptops some people just won't grasp that others don't need that kind of functionality, and the MBA suits some people's needs perfectly. It's a gorgeous computer, it's too underpowered for me, but looks-wise I'd get it right away if it suited my needs.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
This is the thing with mac haters, they say that apple puts look and appearance over function and power, but when it gets down to it, they wish that their computers looked and ran like ours. All of my friends hated macs (not the iPods though), saying they were all looks no power, but the second they saw my machine, they fell in love with macs and are looking to get ones them selves

evirob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
i do not know why people care over silly stuff like this, both him talking up his pc and then you getting all defensive..... its just a computer so move on already

Yea. its silly stuff....I've got over it alright....

Just can't understand why some guy likes to say condescending stuff bout my hardware choices when he doesn't know how I use it....And the he just hates any stuff with an apple logo....

Guess ur the mature one who can take any criticism....:rolleyes:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yea. its silly stuff....I've got over it alright....

Just can't understand why some guy likes to say condescending stuff bout my hardware choices when he doesn't know how I use it....And the he just hates any stuff with an apple logo....

Guess ur the mature one who can take any criticism....:rolleyes:

when it comes to trivial things like computers i could care less what people think about them lol.

Prometheus2000

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Where is there "lacking" functionality

Hi Guys,

Just a few hrs ago, my mum's colleague who is some IS Engineer came over to my place to set up some VPN stuff for my mum.

When he went past my room, he saw my MBA and remarked that "Just Like all Apple products, they're all style and no substance"......He then proceeded to "showcase his Lenovo Tablet X61"..... Claims that it beats my MBA hands down in functionality and getting "real tasks" done...However Vista took like 5 mins to load on it. Guess what, it has upgraded 4GB Ram & a upgraded 7200 rpm HDD not to mention a 1.8 C2D!!!

Can't understand why some guys love to use things that are so bloated and slow..... Besides, nothing wrong to just have a better looking tool...Maybe he's jealous that his looks really *****....LOL

This post is just for me to vent my frustration...:cool:

Come on, don`t be frustrated, be happy to have a Macbook Air, I have mine for a month now and its right out amazing, its about what you like, not what other people think, go your own way! People are notoriously flip flopping, maybe he comes back next time with a new macbook and goes crazy about how cool they are. :)

Its not your duty to please random people... :D

Besides specification in RAM, CPU and HD space, I realy wonder in what way the Lenovo shall have more "functionality"? Especially that you get much more usable Software with a Mac then with Windows with the iLife package. And other then that, where is the "lacking" functionality? Do ports count as "functionality"?

I so far could do all the things I do on my Macbook Pro on the Air as well, obviousely, with more care for HD space and a bit slower.

I don't get peoples way of thinking sometimes :)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Just tell them..... "Did you hear, Microsoft's offering a free copy of XP with every copy of Vista" LOL:D (Its true)

Ive bashed a no. of people who ask me why Im interested in buying such 'expensive' products with this!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When he went past my room, he saw my MBA and remarked that "Just Like all Apple products, they're all style and no substance"......

I'd say he didn't get the point of the MBA. The product delivers exactly what some (not all) people want. Look around your home. Do you have pictures on the walls? Pictures are "all style and no substance". Do you have wallpaper? That is "all style and no substance". Any nice cutlery and plates and dishes and glasses in the kitchen or just the cheapest you could buy? Again, "all style and no substance".

The MBA has enough processing power and storage for most people (not for all), and it provides that in a case that is very lightweight and very thin and very good looking. "Lightweight", "very thin" and "very good looking" are not just style, the are the _substance_ of that product. It is like an iPod Nano and an iPod Classic: The Classic has definitely more of what this guy would call "substance". The Nano is a nicer product. But the Nano has enough storage to make its compromises acceptable for many (not all) customers.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Screw that guy, just last week I used my MBA to configure a couple of old Cisco routers by console.... Even "engineers" can get real work done if they know what they are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.