PDA

View Full Version : what are some good headphones with built in mics for the iphone?

212rikanmofo
Jul 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
Do any exist? I wanted to get a nice pair of headphones (not earphones)... the can type ones that go over your ear, like earmuffs. But they would also have to have built in mic so that I can use them also to talk if I receive a call. Do such exist?

pflau
Jul 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
Do not get the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi. The clicker doesn't work all that well.

Besides, talking while wearing noise isolation earphones feels very very strange because you can't hear yourself talk.

oclor
Jul 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
Don't have it but wish I did, the etymotic hf2. It's' getting awesome reviews.

212rikanmofo
Jul 27, 2008, 09:04 PM
what do you guys think of the bose mobile on-ear headphones? I know the bose name doesn't really flow with some of you audiophiles out there. But I tested them the other day at the apple store and connected it directly to my own iphone listening to my own music and to my surprise they sound pretty good actually. I was insisting in getting a pair of these for $199. But was gonna research on them more and see what other people think about them. I wish they had controls for the phone though. That's one reason I'm kind of hesistant about purchasing them because of that.

Those are the only headphones I know with built in mics, and plus they are very comfortable, and looks great!

Meyvn
Jul 27, 2008, 09:37 PM
what do you guys think of the bose mobile on-ear headphones? I know the bose name doesn't really flow with some of you audiophiles out there. But I tested them the other day at the apple store and connected it directly to my own iphone listening to my own music and to my surprise they sound pretty good actually. I was insisting in getting a pair of these for $199. But was gonna research on them more and see what other people think about them. I wish they had controls for the phone though. That's one reason I'm kind of hesistant about purchasing them because of that.

Those are the only headphones I know with built in mics, and plus they are very comfortable, and looks great!

Bose products are beyond horrible for the price. Please, please, PLEASE don't buy any of their products, ever. You can get much, much better stuff for much, much cheaper. It's not a material of audiophilia, it's a matter of their horrible business practices and propaganda.

As far as a good solution? If the Ultimate Ears clicker is as poor as that guy says, then there really aren't too many options out there. You could pick up Belkin's original iPhone adapter that has a built-in mic/clicker on it, and plug that into whatever headphones you want. The only problem with this is, if you have a long headphone cable, the mic wouldn't be very close to your head unless you shortened it, or bunched it up. It was like ten bucks at Target last time I saw, though, and could be a great solution for some cases.

Or you could do what I did, and take a great existing pair of headphones, cut the cables off at the very top of the included iPhone earbuds, and solder them to your existing pair of headphones. It really isn't as difficult as you might think, and it'd cost you next to nothing if you have a pair of existing headphones you're happy with.

brock2621
Jul 27, 2008, 09:53 PM
Or you could do what I did, and take a great existing pair of headphones, cut the cables off at the very top of the included iPhone earbuds, and solder them to your existing pair of headphones. It really isn't as difficult as you might think, and it'd cost you next to nothing if you have a pair of existing headphones you're happy with.

Ok that's way cool. I thot there was an extra wire in the cable to send signal back to the device for the controller.

RynoZebz
Jul 28, 2008, 12:06 AM
I ordered these...

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/product.php?productid=16134&cat=3&page=1

Haven't tried them yet but the reviews I've heard are great. Pricey but hopefully work it. I'll let you know when I test 'em out tomorrow. They're sitting at the office as they were delivered to my work on Saturday. :rolleyes:

macguyss
Jul 28, 2008, 02:39 AM
I ordered a pair of Griffin tuneBud Mobile from below site:

http://appleprostore.com/griffin-tunebuds-mobile-for-iphone-iphone-3g-p-619.html

I get them pretty cheap from them at 22.99 usd, amazon sell 29.99 usd, it looks like good review as well

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0015ADWMW/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

CD3660
Jul 28, 2008, 03:26 AM
Do any exist? I wanted to get a nice pair of headphones (not earphones)... the can type ones that go over your ear, like earmuffs. But they would also have to have built in mic so that I can use them also to talk if I receive a call. Do such exist?

How about these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TJ743ZM/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

...in combination with this accessory:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TP730VC/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

or, these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T6832LL/B?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

....in combination with this accessory:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TP731VC/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones, and they are very good, but I don't use them with my iPhone.

For my iPhone I use the Etymotic hf2 (also very good), but they are the 'in-ear' type and I see that you are not interested in that variety.

HyQuality
Jul 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
I have the Griffin Tunebuds Mobile and they are INCREDIBLE (especially considering their low price). Very happy with them.

Donz0r
Jul 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
I have these

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/product.php?productid=16145&cat=0&page=1&featured

pitouthestar
Jul 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have the Shure SE310 earphones.
I had a Shure Music Phone adapter (great sound quality, by the way), but the L jack broke in my pocket (and I was careful...). Same thing happened to a friend. Crappy quality.
Is there something better for those who already have earphones ? I heard the Griffin Smart Talk breaks easily too.

jsgreen
Jul 28, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have these

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/product.php?productid=16145&cat=0&page=1&featured

How do you like them?

lordhamster
Jul 28, 2008, 09:19 AM
Bose products are beyond horrible for the price. Please, please, PLEASE don't buy any of their products, ever. You can get much, much better stuff for much, much cheaper. It's not a material of audiophilia, it's a matter of their horrible business practices and propaganda.

As far as a good solution? If the Ultimate Ears clicker is as poor as that guy says, then there really aren't too many options out there. You could pick up Belkin's original iPhone adapter that has a built-in mic/clicker on it, and plug that into whatever headphones you want. The only problem with this is, if you have a long headphone cable, the mic wouldn't be very close to your head unless you shortened it, or bunched it up. It was like ten bucks at Target last time I saw, though, and could be a great solution for some cases.

Bose products seem to be universally hated by audiophiles, but for the frequent traveler they are awesome. I have the QC2 Headphones from bose and love them. I can wear them on 16 hour flights without getting any ear pain whatsoever. I can't say the same for some of the other products out there which may sound slightly better to the audiophile. Fact is, for me on an airplane I won't be able to distinguish subtle differences in headphones anyway, the noise cancellation and comfort on the QC2 is superb.

enklined
Jul 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
I just bought the Super.fi 4vi's yesterday to try them out.

They're pretty nice, the mic is well positioned, and the clicker works well (contrary to what another person posted on this thread), albeit, not as well as the stock Apple mic/clicker.

They'll be returned for sure before the 14-day period, as I will be waiting for these:
Super.fi 5vi (http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/superfi/superfi5vi_description.php)

matperk
Jul 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
Bose products seem to be universally hated by audiophiles, but for the frequent traveler they are awesome. I have the QC2 Headphones from bose and love them. I can wear them on 16 hour flights without getting any ear pain whatsoever. I can't say the same for some of the other products out there which may sound slightly better to the audiophile. Fact is, for me on an airplane I won't be able to distinguish subtle differences in headphones anyway, the noise cancellation and comfort on the QC2 is superb.

I have the same experience here. I love mine. They sound pretty damn good to me!

Meyvn
Jul 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
Ok that's way cool. I thot there was an extra wire in the cable to send signal back to the device for the controller.

There IS an extra wire, but once it gets to the clicker, it doesn't need to be connected to anything further. In fact, at some point before it terminates to the actual earbuds, Apple cuts off the wire anyway. So as long as you don't accidentally cut it off before the clicker (which would be hard since, y'know, you can see it), you're good. The wire that goes to the mic/clicker is green and red, so just don't solder that one to anything.

Meyvn
Jul 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

But you could still get a pair that's superior in every respect for much cheaper. Just because it fills your needs doesn't mean it isn't horrendously overpriced or that something else wouldn't do so more effectively. That's like paying $50,000 for a ripoff of a Honda Civic and being impressed that it runs fine.

Audiophiles don't rail on Bose just because they sound bad; they rail on them because they sound bad, they cost way, way, WAY too much, and there are far superior products much CHEAPER. Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD25-1, AKG K81DJ, K518DJ, Sony MDR-D66SL, Beyerdynamic DT770, ALL of these are significantly more affordable headphones that sound miles better, most offer better sound isolation, and several offer equal or better comfort. I'd even argue that some of them look better (and obviously some look worse), but that's a matter of personal taste. Bose is a joke of a company that harms the entire audio industry.

pyrodex
Jul 28, 2008, 11:56 AM

They're pretty nice, the mic is well positioned, and the clicker works well (contrary to what another person posted on this thread), albeit, not as well as the stock Apple mic/clicker.

They'll be returned for sure before the 14-day period, as I will be waiting for these:
Super.fi 5vi (http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/superfi/superfi5vi_description.php)

I wonder how these will compare to the HF2's. I am so undecided on what I want but looking for about a ~200$ budget.

Meyvn
Jul 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
I wonder how these will compare to the HF2's. I am so undecided on what I want but looking for about a ~200$ budget.

So get both from a store with a good return policy, compare and see which one you want to keep. I personally suspect the HF2 will be better, especially if it uses the ER4 driver, but you really couldn't go wrong with either, knowing the two companies.

pflau
Jul 28, 2008, 12:02 PM

I wonder if it means they worked out the bug. If you looked at some older Amazon reviews on the Super.fi 4vi you would see other people having the same issue I have with the clicker.

snake101st
Jul 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
But you could still get a pair that's superior in every respect for much cheaper. Just because it fills your needs doesn't mean it isn't horrendously overpriced or that something else wouldn't do so more effectively. That's like paying $50,000 for a ripoff of a Honda Civic and being impressed that it runs fine.

Audiophiles don't rail on Bose just because they sound bad; they rail on them because they sound bad, they cost way, way, WAY too much, and there are far superior products much CHEAPER. Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD25-1, AKG K81DJ, K518DJ, Sony MDR-D66SL, Beyerdynamic DT770, ALL of these are significantly more affordable headphones that sound miles better, most offer better sound isolation, and several offer equal or better comfort. I'd even argue that some of them look better (and obviously some look worse), but that's a matter of personal taste. Bose is a joke of a company that harms the entire audio industry.

Completely agree. I have a Beyer DT880 and compared it to my friend's Bose, and it blew it out of the water. I never liked Bose...

RynoZebz
Jul 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'm trying out the Ultimate Buds right now that I mentioned... these things sound pretty dang good.

lordhamster
Jul 29, 2008, 08:19 AM

Again, I've been quite happy with mine. The reason I bought them is that I tried a pair and tried a pair of some others as well and I liked the bose QC2 for the fit, quiet, etc. If you read the reviews on Amazon for example, also you can tell that average people are quite happy with them. Like with the iPhone the negative reviews seem to come primarily from people with a major agenda. For example, I saw some negative reviews suggesting all other sorts of products, yet not mentioning any personal experience. It reminds me of reading the iPhone3G comments on Hofo when all the N95 users came out of the woodwork to try to convince all of us we made a huge mistake.

:)

When this set wears out, I'm going to revisit the list you sent me (I've written them down). Till then I'm happy. Do you have any good websites you could recommend on this subject?

Pandora01
Jul 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
I have these

It doesn't look like there is a playback control button on it. Can you control playback with it?

CD3660
Jul 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
Do you have any good websites you could recommend on this subject?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

Incidentally, I enjoy my Bose QC2's very much as well. Whilst some people might prefer other brands, it is absurd to call them bad.

As you suggest, there are certain products (such as Bose and the iPhone) that instill a certain hatred in people who then embark on some sort of crusade of criticism.

I'm all for balanced reviews and constructive criticism, but venomous attacks on a company and its products is unnecessary.

Meyvn
Jul 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
Again, I've been quite happy with mine. The reason I bought them is that I tried a pair and tried a pair of some others as well and I liked the bose QC2 for the fit, quiet, etc. If you read the reviews on Amazon for example, also you can tell that average people are quite happy with them. Like with the iPhone the negative reviews seem to come primarily from people with a major agenda. For example, I saw some negative reviews suggesting all other sorts of products, yet not mentioning any personal experience. It reminds me of reading the iPhone3G comments on Hofo when all the N95 users came out of the woodwork to try to convince all of us we made a huge mistake.

:)

When this set wears out, I'm going to revisit the list you sent me (I've written them down). Till then I'm happy. Do you have any good websites you could recommend on this subject?

As has been said, Head-Fi is an excellent source of all things headphone. And of course, the average person is thrilled with Bose; they are never exposed to anything better, ever. It is extremely rare to find a pair of headphones that isn't garbage in a retail store; the only ones I ever see available seem to be the Sennheiser PX100, which are not closed, so automatically are less useful to some people. At the same time, I've never met a Bose fan who hasn't liked the sound of the $10 Koss KSC75 better than their Triports or QC2 upon my convincing them to audition it.

There are also some halfway decent IEMs in Best Buy/Circuit City from time to time, but they're a completely different kind of sound that not everyone likes to begin with. Bose is the only brand that isn't absolute junk that people can ever get a chance to audition, and their marketing makes up the rest.

Incidentally, I enjoy my Bose QC2's very much as well. Whilst some people might prefer other brands, it is absurd to call them bad.

As you suggest, there are certain products (such as Bose and the iPhone) that instill a certain hatred in people who then embark on some sort of crusade of criticism.

I'm all for balanced reviews and constructive criticism, but venomous attacks on a company and its products is unnecessary.

I've never met another company that I would ever criticize as much and as often as I do Bose; this comes from numerous audition of every one of their products available for such, extensive listening comparisons in people's homes and at stores with other brands, and a lot of research into the company's history, marketing and products. The typical iPhone critic hates it because it's popular; they rarely have any direct things to say about what makes another phone better, why they hate it, et cetera. I don't criticize Bose because it's popular, or even close, and you haven't been listening if you think so.

For literally the entire history of their company, Bose has outright lied in its ads to its customers. The research they build the entire foundation of their company on simply does not happen. They continually have made claims about using new kinds of speaker drivers and technologies that they invented when they in fact almost ALWAYS use much older technologies that are either the same, or even in some cases inferior to other audio companies.

Just one example is their first line of speakers starting in the late seventies; they made claims for years that they used "space age paper" that they invented in their speaker cones. To begin with, nearly every audio company even by then already shunned cone speaker design in the higher end market because it couldn't produce the same frequency range (especially low, low bass and higher frequencies) that either the classic horn or the newer mylar spherical designs were capable of.

Then, people bought Bose speakers and tested the "space-age patented paper," and it was just basic hemp paper that everyone else had been using for years. It took about 15 years for Bose to stop denying that it was "space age" and they had invented it. And they STILL haven't stopped putting paper cones into their speakers. "Coincidentally" it is THE cheapest material to put in them.

The "Acoustic Wave Music System" or Wave Radio is another huge sham that they claim as some great technological development. It's just a couple speakers tossed into a radio. That's it. Yes, it sounds better than the 19.99 Jensen at Wal-Mart, but there is nothing revolutionary about it; in fact, I've repeatedly seen and heard better sounding models even at Target from time to time.

Bose is also one of the few large audio manufacturers left that have never even successfully received THX certification on a SINGLE product.

They dominate the "high end" market because they have a stranglehold on the big chain stores; they are nearly always either A. The ONLY thing you can actually audition or B. In a separate area from the other products where you cannot directly compare. Throw in the fact that at most stores, Bose is the only brand that isn't absolute junk, so even if there WERE a chance at comparison, of course it would win over the entry-level Sony earclips.

My problem with Bose is primarily rooted in the awful stranglehold it has on the entire audio market so that other companies that make far better products are held down or forced out to the point that you can rarely find decent stuff in large chains without just lucking onto it by accident.

I don't vehemently criticize Bose because I think their stuff are the awfulest sounding things there ever were. I DO think even the best products of theirs I've ever heard sound like they should cost about a fifth of what they do, I CAN show you a ten dollar pair of headphones that sounds better than the QC2 and QC3(that said it's an excellent headphone, so it's not as damning as it otherwise would be), and I DO think their reputation has been built on lies and is maintained by bullying retail chains, and supporting those tactics by buying their products, even if they were worth it, which they aren't even close, is an awful thing to do for free markets.

CD3660
Jul 29, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've never met another company that I would ever criticize as much and as often as I do Bose; this comes from numerous audition of every one of their products available for such, extensive listening comparisons in people's homes and at stores with other brands, and a lot of research into the company's history, marketing and products. The typical iPhone critic hates it because it's popular; they rarely have any direct things to say about what makes another phone better, why they hate it, et cetera. I don't criticize Bose because it's popular, or even close, and you haven't been listening if you think so.

For literally the entire history of their company, Bose has outright lied in its ads to its customers. The research they build the entire foundation of their company on simply does not happen. They continually have made claims about using new kinds of speaker drivers and technologies that they invented when they in fact almost ALWAYS use much older technologies that are either the same, or even in some cases inferior to other audio companies.

Just one example is their first line of speakers starting in the late seventies; they made claims for years that they used "space age paper" that they invented in their speaker cones. To begin with, nearly every audio company even by then already shunned cone speaker design in the higher end market because it couldn't produce the same frequency range (especially low, low bass and higher frequencies) that either the classic horn or the newer mylar spherical designs were capable of.

Then, people bought Bose speakers and tested the "space-age patented paper," and it was just basic hemp paper that everyone else had been using for years. It took about 15 years for Bose to stop denying that it was "space age" and they had invented it. And they STILL haven't stopped putting paper cones into their speakers. "Coincidentally" it is THE cheapest material to put in them.

The "Acoustic Wave Music System" or Wave Radio is another huge sham that they claim as some great technological development. It's just a couple speakers tossed into a radio. That's it. Yes, it sounds better than the 19.99 Jensen at Wal-Mart, but there is nothing revolutionary about it; in fact, I've repeatedly seen and heard better sounding models even at Target from time to time.

Bose is also one of the few large audio manufacturers left that have never even successfully received THX certification on a SINGLE product.

They dominate the "high end" market because they have a stranglehold on the big chain stores; they are nearly always either A. The ONLY thing you can actually audition or B. In a separate area from the other products where you cannot directly compare. Throw in the fact that at most stores, Bose is the only brand that isn't absolute junk, so even if there WERE a chance at comparison, of course it would win over the entry-level Sony earclips.

My problem with Bose is primarily rooted in the awful stranglehold it has on the entire audio market so that other companies that make far better products are held down or forced out to the point that you can rarely find decent stuff in large chains without just lucking onto it by accident.

I don't vehemently criticize Bose because I think their stuff are the awfulest sounding things there ever were. I DO think even the best products of theirs I've ever heard sound like they should cost about a fifth of what they do, I CAN show you a ten dollar pair of headphones that sounds better than the QC2 and QC3(that said it's an excellent headphone, so it's not as damning as it otherwise would be), and I DO think their reputation has been built on lies and is maintained by bullying retail chains, and supporting those tactics by buying their products, even if they were worth it, which they aren't even close, is an awful thing to do for free markets.

So, all in all, would you recommend Bose? :D

Donz0r
Jul 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
It doesn't look like there is a playback control button on it. Can you control playback with it?

How do you like them?

They sound GREAT! For 50 bucks they can't be beat.

They have the same microphone as on the iPhone headphones, very sleek and tiny, but they added a windscreen to it. One pinch pause/play, two pinch next track.
Love 'em!

lordhamster
Jul 30, 2008, 08:22 AM
I CAN show you a ten dollar pair of headphones that sounds better than the QC2 and QC3(that said it's an excellent headphone, so it's not as damning as it otherwise would be), and I DO think their reputation has been built on lies and is maintained by bullying retail chains, and supporting those tactics by buying their products, even if they were worth it, which they aren't even close, is an awful thing to do for free markets.

I absolutely HATE headphones of all types. The only time I wear them is when I travel, which is unfortunately way too often. When I'm on a continental 777 to Beijing sitting right over the wing with the drone of the engines rattling through my brain, I've found the QC2's did a much better job of keeping me quiet yet comfortable than the headphones I owned before. Coincidentally, I've had a set of Koss over the head cans before, they were fine for my purposes, but once you get in the plane forget it.

Meyvn
Jul 30, 2008, 11:30 PM
I absolutely HATE headphones of all types. The only time I wear them is when I travel, which is unfortunately way too often. When I'm on a continental 777 to Beijing sitting right over the wing with the drone of the engines rattling through my brain, I've found the QC2's did a much better job of keeping me quiet yet comfortable than the headphones I owned before. Coincidentally, I've had a set of Koss over the head cans before, they were fine for my purposes, but once you get in the plane forget it.

Again, there are tons of headphones out there with similar form factor that block out more sound, and some with even more comfort than Bose that cost less and sound worlds better. Just because the QC2 gets the job done doesn't mean it isn't horrendously overpriced.

Also, unfortunately, not all Koss headphones are created equal (not to mention, Koss specifically does not produce a single pair of headphones that's satisfactory in extremely noisy environs). In fact, there isn't a single manufacturer that hasn't made some crappy headphones in their day; even the ones who make the very, very, VERY best ever (Sony, AKG, Sennheiser, STAX) have made some bleh ones also. Unfortunately, the crappier ones are usually the ones you can see in brick and mortar stores. I can count on one hand the pair of good headphones I've seen in Best Buy, Target, Circuit City and the Apple Store combined.