Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Do any exist? I wanted to get a nice pair of headphones (not earphones)... the can type ones that go over your ear, like earmuffs. But they would also have to have built in mic so that I can use them also to talk if I receive a call. Do such exist?

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Do not get the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi. The clicker doesn't work all that well.

Besides, talking while wearing noise isolation earphones feels very very strange because you can't hear yourself talk.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
what do you guys think of the bose mobile on-ear headphones? I know the bose name doesn't really flow with some of you audiophiles out there. But I tested them the other day at the apple store and connected it directly to my own iphone listening to my own music and to my surprise they sound pretty good actually. I was insisting in getting a pair of these for $199. But was gonna research on them more and see what other people think about them. I wish they had controls for the phone though. That's one reason I'm kind of hesistant about purchasing them because of that.

Those are the only headphones I know with built in mics, and plus they are very comfortable, and looks great!

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
what do you guys think of the bose mobile on-ear headphones? I know the bose name doesn't really flow with some of you audiophiles out there. But I tested them the other day at the apple store and connected it directly to my own iphone listening to my own music and to my surprise they sound pretty good actually. I was insisting in getting a pair of these for $199. But was gonna research on them more and see what other people think about them. I wish they had controls for the phone though. That's one reason I'm kind of hesistant about purchasing them because of that.

Those are the only headphones I know with built in mics, and plus they are very comfortable, and looks great!

Bose products are beyond horrible for the price. Please, please, PLEASE don't buy any of their products, ever. You can get much, much better stuff for much, much cheaper. It's not a material of audiophilia, it's a matter of their horrible business practices and propaganda.

As far as a good solution? If the Ultimate Ears clicker is as poor as that guy says, then there really aren't too many options out there. You could pick up Belkin's original iPhone adapter that has a built-in mic/clicker on it, and plug that into whatever headphones you want. The only problem with this is, if you have a long headphone cable, the mic wouldn't be very close to your head unless you shortened it, or bunched it up. It was like ten bucks at Target last time I saw, though, and could be a great solution for some cases.

Or you could do what I did, and take a great existing pair of headphones, cut the cables off at the very top of the included iPhone earbuds, and solder them to your existing pair of headphones. It really isn't as difficult as you might think, and it'd cost you next to nothing if you have a pair of existing headphones you're happy with.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Or you could do what I did, and take a great existing pair of headphones, cut the cables off at the very top of the included iPhone earbuds, and solder them to your existing pair of headphones. It really isn't as difficult as you might think, and it'd cost you next to nothing if you have a pair of existing headphones you're happy with.

Ok that's way cool. I thot there was an extra wire in the cable to send signal back to the device for the controller.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Do any exist? I wanted to get a nice pair of headphones (not earphones)... the can type ones that go over your ear, like earmuffs. But they would also have to have built in mic so that I can use them also to talk if I receive a call. Do such exist?

How about these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TJ743ZM/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

...in combination with this accessory:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TP730VC/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

or, these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T6832LL/B?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

....in combination with this accessory:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TP731VC/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones, and they are very good, but I don't use them with my iPhone.

For my iPhone I use the Etymotic hf2 (also very good), but they are the 'in-ear' type and I see that you are not interested in that variety.

HyQuality

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
NYC
I have the Griffin Tunebuds Mobile and they are INCREDIBLE (especially considering their low price). Very happy with them.

pitouthestar

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I have the Shure SE310 earphones.
I had a Shure Music Phone adapter (great sound quality, by the way), but the L jack broke in my pocket (and I was careful...). Same thing happened to a friend. Crappy quality.
Is there something better for those who already have earphones ? I heard the Griffin Smart Talk breaks easily too.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Bose products are beyond horrible for the price. Please, please, PLEASE don't buy any of their products, ever. You can get much, much better stuff for much, much cheaper. It's not a material of audiophilia, it's a matter of their horrible business practices and propaganda.

As far as a good solution? If the Ultimate Ears clicker is as poor as that guy says, then there really aren't too many options out there. You could pick up Belkin's original iPhone adapter that has a built-in mic/clicker on it, and plug that into whatever headphones you want. The only problem with this is, if you have a long headphone cable, the mic wouldn't be very close to your head unless you shortened it, or bunched it up. It was like ten bucks at Target last time I saw, though, and could be a great solution for some cases.

Bose products seem to be universally hated by audiophiles, but for the frequent traveler they are awesome. I have the QC2 Headphones from bose and love them. I can wear them on 16 hour flights without getting any ear pain whatsoever. I can't say the same for some of the other products out there which may sound slightly better to the audiophile. Fact is, for me on an airplane I won't be able to distinguish subtle differences in headphones anyway, the noise cancellation and comfort on the QC2 is superb.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
I just bought the Super.fi 4vi's yesterday to try them out.

They're pretty nice, the mic is well positioned, and the clicker works well (contrary to what another person posted on this thread), albeit, not as well as the stock Apple mic/clicker.

They'll be returned for sure before the 14-day period, as I will be waiting for these:
Super.fi 5vi

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bose products seem to be universally hated by audiophiles, but for the frequent traveler they are awesome. I have the QC2 Headphones from bose and love them. I can wear them on 16 hour flights without getting any ear pain whatsoever. I can't say the same for some of the other products out there which may sound slightly better to the audiophile. Fact is, for me on an airplane I won't be able to distinguish subtle differences in headphones anyway, the noise cancellation and comfort on the QC2 is superb.

I have the same experience here. I love mine. They sound pretty damn good to me!

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Ok that's way cool. I thot there was an extra wire in the cable to send signal back to the device for the controller.

There IS an extra wire, but once it gets to the clicker, it doesn't need to be connected to anything further. In fact, at some point before it terminates to the actual earbuds, Apple cuts off the wire anyway. So as long as you don't accidentally cut it off before the clicker (which would be hard since, y'know, you can see it), you're good. The wire that goes to the mic/clicker is green and red, so just don't solder that one to anything.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005

But you could still get a pair that's superior in every respect for much cheaper. Just because it fills your needs doesn't mean it isn't horrendously overpriced or that something else wouldn't do so more effectively. That's like paying $50,000 for a ripoff of a Honda Civic and being impressed that it runs fine.

Audiophiles don't rail on Bose just because they sound bad; they rail on them because they sound bad, they cost way, way, WAY too much, and there are far superior products much CHEAPER. Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD25-1, AKG K81DJ, K518DJ, Sony MDR-D66SL, Beyerdynamic DT770, ALL of these are significantly more affordable headphones that sound miles better, most offer better sound isolation, and several offer equal or better comfort. I'd even argue that some of them look better (and obviously some look worse), but that's a matter of personal taste. Bose is a joke of a company that harms the entire audio industry.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA

They're pretty nice, the mic is well positioned, and the clicker works well (contrary to what another person posted on this thread), albeit, not as well as the stock Apple mic/clicker.

They'll be returned for sure before the 14-day period, as I will be waiting for these:
Super.fi 5vi

I wonder how these will compare to the HF2's. I am so undecided on what I want but looking for about a ~200$ budget.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I wonder how these will compare to the HF2's. I am so undecided on what I want but looking for about a ~200$ budget.

So get both from a store with a good return policy, compare and see which one you want to keep. I personally suspect the HF2 will be better, especially if it uses the ER4 driver, but you really couldn't go wrong with either, knowing the two companies.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007

I wonder if it means they worked out the bug. If you looked at some older Amazon reviews on the Super.fi 4vi you would see other people having the same issue I have with the clicker.

snake101st

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
But you could still get a pair that's superior in every respect for much cheaper. Just because it fills your needs doesn't mean it isn't horrendously overpriced or that something else wouldn't do so more effectively. That's like paying $50,000 for a ripoff of a Honda Civic and being impressed that it runs fine.

Audiophiles don't rail on Bose just because they sound bad; they rail on them because they sound bad, they cost way, way, WAY too much, and there are far superior products much CHEAPER. Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD25-1, AKG K81DJ, K518DJ, Sony MDR-D66SL, Beyerdynamic DT770, ALL of these are significantly more affordable headphones that sound miles better, most offer better sound isolation, and several offer equal or better comfort. I'd even argue that some of them look better (and obviously some look worse), but that's a matter of personal taste. Bose is a joke of a company that harms the entire audio industry.

Completely agree. I have a Beyer DT880 and compared it to my friend's Bose, and it blew it out of the water. I never liked Bose...

RynoZebz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I'm trying out the Ultimate Buds right now that I mentioned... these things sound pretty dang good.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008

Again, I've been quite happy with mine. The reason I bought them is that I tried a pair and tried a pair of some others as well and I liked the bose QC2 for the fit, quiet, etc. If you read the reviews on Amazon for example, also you can tell that average people are quite happy with them. Like with the iPhone the negative reviews seem to come primarily from people with a major agenda. For example, I saw some negative reviews suggesting all other sorts of products, yet not mentioning any personal experience. It reminds me of reading the iPhone3G comments on Hofo when all the N95 users came out of the woodwork to try to convince all of us we made a huge mistake.

:)

When this set wears out, I'm going to revisit the list you sent me (I've written them down). Till then I'm happy. Do you have any good websites you could recommend on this subject?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.