Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bathat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hi,

I have a Dell 1703FP LCD monitor. When I connect my laptop to the monitor, it refuses to display full-screen 99% of the time due to an unusual aspect ratio(?). Right now, it is working properly (filling the entire screen). More accurately, it is working "the way I want" but I'm not sure if it's working "correctly" since I cannot adjust the brightness of my laptop display, nor am I able to switch between 'mirrored displays' and whatever the other one is. I can't find out since these settings are not even available in Display Preferences.

Most likely, if I 'Detect Displays' it will revert to its usual, undesirable behavior... and sure enough, that's exactly what happened afterward. Now I'm back in letterbox mode. If I disable mirrored displays, it is partially correct, except for the absence of the menubar and dock. That, and everything initially appears on my laptop screen which is not what I want.

Essentially, what I want is a non-mirrored display with all events occurring on the LCD monitor... and the WindowServer itself.

I hope I've provided enough detail. I am unable to post on Apple's forums since I have no 'Post New Topic' button, which is absolutely absurd. No one else seems to have any trouble. I've tried in both the latest Camino and Firefox.

Any help is much appreciated.
Michael :apple:

bathat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
solved

Aha!, I've finally figured it out! I used SwitchResX to set my main display as the LCD screen. There should really be a way to do this with Display Preferences... too much grief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.