PDA

View Full Version : Using mac to update windows ipod

monroepq
Jul 26, 2008, 05:24 AM
I know this is probably a very simple question and hopefully has a simple answer - I have a windows formatted ipod, but because I have a lot of music on it that I don't want to lose (and because I normally use windows to update it), I need some way other than itunes to update it with new music on a mac. What programs are capable of doing this? I've heard of Floola, can that do anything like this?

richard.mac
Jul 26, 2008, 05:26 AM
what iPod is it? becuase <4 GB iPods are formatted to FAT32 which iTunes can sync to.

monroepq
Jul 26, 2008, 05:32 AM
what iPod is it? becuase <4 GB iPods are formatted to FAT32 which iTunes can sync to.

I'm not sure which generation but it is definately one of the newer video ones.. the thing is I don't want itunes to sync it, because then it'll just make a copy of the mac library. I just need a few albums added to it.. but itunes does have a "by hand" update feature, right?

richard.mac
Jul 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
i not sure of an app that will let you add songs but you can add songs "by hand" in iTunes my selecting "Manually manage music" in the iPod preferences.

Castillo2k8
Jul 26, 2008, 08:33 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to do that as well.

I only have Macs at home.
I was given a pre-loaded Windows iPod Classic
I want to add songs from my Mac without losing what's already on the iPod.

The iPod shows up on my desktop, but adding music files manually via the finder doesn't work. New music doesn't display on the iPod. (Side note: I can add photos into the Notes folder, though, and those show up on the iPod.)

I tried doing the "manually manage music" setting iTines, but anytime I do anything with it in iTunes, iTunes says I have to reformat the iPod.

So far the only working option I've come across is to use an app to copy the iPod music from the iPod to my Mac, then put that batch of music into iTunes, reformat the iPod for Mac, and then sync all the old music plus my new music onto the iPod.

muldul
Jul 26, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yes it can be done, i do it for my family who all have pc's but i have the mac.