Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akasocrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I apologize as I know this has been asked before. I am about to buy Final Cut Studio 2 to install on my ancient PowerMac 2.7Ghz DP with 4.5GB ram. It has an ATI Radeon 9650 graphics card, and here lies my concern. While the FCS system requirements don't list my card, based on older forum posts I believe I will be able to run FCP, Motion, Color, etc. Of course the issue will be performance.

The cost of FCS is significant for me and thus am being paranoid about the usability with my graphics card and system as a whole. Thus a few questions:
1. Will I definitely be able to run all apps in the FCS suite?
2. If so, will performance be so bad that it will essentially not worth it?
3. What cards currently available can I upgrade to without taking a loan?

Many thanks in advance and your patience with this noob. I won't be buying a new computer for at least 2 more years so need to make sure this it's still worth spending for FCS in spite of this.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I honestly don't think you'll have issues actually running FCS2. Performance could be slower, however.

If memory serves me correctly, the fastest video card available for that machine is the Radeon X850 and they're pretty hard to find because they were only officially available as BTO options from Apple. You might have better luck finding an X800, but either way, they're both going to be expensive. The X800 Mac Edition gets around $400ish still.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
How a Dual 2.7 G5 with those specs is ancient is way beyond me.

You blow out the system requirements. A better video card will only benefit with applications such as Motion/Color.

Obviously a Mac Pro can do the job faster, but to say the G5 is ancient is just wrong. The G3 is ancient, and the G4 is starting to get ancient, but let's not get started on the G5's just yet.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
We run 2 G5 2.7 dual FCP suites, we have recently upgraded to FCS2 and all the app work as far as know, not as fast as on the intel machines but still usable.

with the ATI machines i recall looking into upgrading the cards on the G5 and i couldn't find a card that would work on it .

akasocrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Thanks!

CaptainChunk, thanks for the initial confirmation. As long as they work, I'm fine as it's only a hobby for me and just something I enjoy.

FF_Productions, thank for the grounding. My "ancient" statement was tongue in cheek of course. Sometimes when you read the forums a lot, it's easy to get caught up with the latest and greatest. Yep, I agree with you. I'm perfectly happy with my system and should have it for at least 2 more years.

evil_santa, thanks for the hands on confirmation. That was the final thing I needed to hear.

Again, thank you all. As always, the community is such a rich resource.

All the best.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The college I went to still has about 40 DP 2.5GHz G5 workstations (most of them with 4GB of RAM and lower-end ATI graphics) and those even edit codecs like DVCPRO HD pretty well in FCS2. Nothing wrong with a G5!

Now, if you were editing something more heavy duty like REDCODE RAW, that's where having an Intel machine is not optional.

Mindcrime13

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
i have that exact set up except its a 2.0ghz G5 and it runs just fine, as long as the card is more than 250mb video ram is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.