PDA

View Full Version : Why are TV shows soo freaking expensive on the UK store?

daneoni
Jul 26, 2008, 09:46 AM
So i've really missed House this season and its one of my favorite shows. So i go on iTunes to try and *gasp* buy the entire season but got slapped with a 30+ price tag. WTF? thats double the price of a DVD.

And then the studios complain about piracy. 30!! i mean come on!.

muldul
Jul 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
I know, the americans pay way less, look at songs and films as well 79 for use and 99 cents for them! it's outrageous. This is why i don't by much from the store except music,

Kardashian
Jul 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
As far as I know, most of the stores are pretty highly priced - except the American one.

I remember when I was living in Australia and bought a few songs from their store, they were $1.69 a track, I think, which is about the same as the American dollar, exchange rate wise - so thats basically $1.60 USD. A 60% hike up.

I agree the price of TV shows is RIDICULOUS, and Music Videos.

A music video isn't something I'd buy, I bought a couple, but when you see the American store selling them for pretty much the same price as the song, it is pretty crazy. And considering you get 40+minutes of TV for the same price.

Personally, I get vouchers and buy them off the American store.

muldul
Jul 26, 2008, 11:24 AM
Personally, I get vouchers and buy them off the American store.

I must remember to do this next time i go to the states

daneoni
Jul 26, 2008, 12:46 PM
I must remember to do this next time i go to the states

Amen

reclusivemonkey
Jul 26, 2008, 01:41 PM
It is indeed ridiculous. I just bought a two disk special edition of Finding Nemo for 4.99 from play.com with free delivery. Its 10.99 on iTunes. I don't know whether its Apple or the studios, but someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Also, because I got the DVD, I can play this on the XBox, rip it to iTunes and also share it through Connect360. I can't do this with the digital version.

northy124
Jul 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
You do realise that you are complaining about Rip-Off Britain, Prices include VAT and all other "Taxes'.

Get US Gift Cards from eBay and get a US account.

Kardashian
Jul 26, 2008, 02:03 PM
You can either obtain gift cards from eBay, or there are 2 stores online, that offer instant delivery and only make about $2 per card - and you pay through PayPal.

I have used both, and both deliver time and time again.

I won't name them here as there was a company that set itself up specifically to do this (Capsule Productions) and Apple had them shut down. Fast.

So you'll have to dig, I'm afraid. Or use eBay.

Unless you're a jetsetter like me :p

reclusivemonkey
Jul 27, 2008, 03:09 AM
I think you are missing the point... by not buying movies and tv shows we are exercising the most powerful right of capitalism as consumers; that is not to buy. Hopefully this sends a clear message that digital media prices are too high.

V.A.T. on digital downloads is 15%, which on a 10.99 download is about 1.43. 9.56 is still too much considering there are no logistics costs and no cost for media.