Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twinsdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I am looking for opinions on the pdf file transfer/reader program annotater. Looks like it just came out and has some nice early reviews (from people who have actually used it!). I'm trying to find out how good of a pdf reader it is. I have been using file magnet which is great for transferring files but, with its lack of landscape support, is not a particularly good document viewer. Any early adopters?

Thanks

athaler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
I am looking for opinions on the pdf file transfer/reader program annotater. Looks like it just came out and has some nice early reviews (from people who have actually used it!). I'm trying to find out how good of a pdf reader it is. I have been using file magnet which is great for transferring files but, with its lack of landscape support, is not a particularly good document viewer. Any early adopters?

Thanks

I've just started using Annotater. I haven't done more than fiddling around with it so far, but here's my rundown:
+Opens PDFs of any size (limited by iPhone memory, I assume)
+Display in either portrait or landscape view
+Lets you put text (typed) and pen (drawn) comments anywhere on the document
+Lets you search PDFs
-Only opens PDFs
-Requires your Mac to be running a synchronization program (AnnotaterService)
-AnnotaterService must index files before they can be transferred. This can take a long time with large files
-Sync hangs if your iPhone goes to standby (have to keep touching the screen while it's syncing if it's going to take more than a minute)
-Requires that your iPhone and Mac be on the same local network (can't sync over EDGE/3G)
+Sync is pretty fast. Only limited by wifi speed, as far as I can tell

Overall, pretty nice. The problems really only occur with syncing, and they're not insurmountable. I'd say it's worth the $5 price tag.

namron2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
annotater

Hi

I just got annotater but when I go to the phone it says "no hosts found"

It is on the same wireless network as the mac 10.5

Am I missing something?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Norm

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Hi

I just got annotater but when I go to the phone it says "no hosts found"

It is on the same wireless network as the mac 10.5

Am I missing something?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Norm

Make sure you have selected a folder to share on the annotator mac desktop app then click the folder and press the start button.
:eek:

namron2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Yes I have a shared folder and it is running.

Is there anything special you have to on the wifi on the phone??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.