Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I am trying to setup my xcode to do the whole code signing and install the application on my test device. I am having few issues and I wonder if any of you have had any of these?

I have the old iPhone and I just unlocked 2.0 using pwnagetool 2.0 --.. after that when I connect my device to the XCode I get an error: "your mobile device has encountered an unexpected error (0xE8000001)" not sure why is this..

secondly, in the apple documentation they say that under "Code Signing" (this is the project info screen) I should see "Code Signing Provisioning Profile" and should be able to select my profile but I don't get that option.. the only thing in that drop down selectable is: "Default provising ..."

Has one tried to use their old iPhone for development where 2.0 is unlocked? Do I need to get a legit iPhone with Rogers for this work?

any experience out there?

thanks

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
Have you joined the developer program and paid your $99? If you haven't, then you can't test on your device.

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I think that error is because your apps aren't being signed correctly, in each section of the program portal there's a howto section that actually guides you through what you need to do for that section unlike what's available in the standard developer documentation.

You need to create certificates in the Program Portal section of the iphone developer site so you can sign your apps properly.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Has one tried to use their old iPhone for development where 2.0 is unlocked? Do I need to get a legit iPhone with Rogers for this work?

I wouldn't give up yet. I've had a lot of problems getting my apps to run on an iPhone without it being unlocked. I would go back and retry everything before completely giving up and getting a contract with Rogers.

jguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Have you joined the developer program and paid your $99? If you haven't, then you can't test on your device.

yes I have.. i have access to the developer portal and I have created the neccesary provisioning certificates...

jguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I think that error is because your apps aren't being signed correctly, in each section of the program portal there's a howto section that actually guides you through what you need to do for that section unlike what's available in the standard developer documentation.

You need to create certificates in the Program Portal section of the iphone developer site so you can sign your apps properly.

I did that.. now as I understand once I create an AppID I need to modify the Info.plist and update Bundle ID = to the app id that portal generates, now does the name of the app have to the same or something?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I think that error is because your apps aren't being signed correctly...
I'm having the same error as the OP I think, and I know I set it up correctly. Half the time the apps are being signed correctly, the other half it errors out.

Generally a restart of both xcode and the phone fixes it for me.

edit: wait, i didn't finish reading the OP's post :eek: If you can't select the provisioning profile, I think you skipped a step. Try going through setting up a project again, especially the part about the code signing identity.

jguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I followed the steps mentioned by Apple very closely and this time I started getting GCC compile errors :confused:

Also, whenever I connect my device to my laptop, xcode - organizer gives me an error msg regarding my device..
:mad:

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I followed the steps mentioned by Apple very closely and this time I started getting GCC compile errors :confused:

Also, whenever I connect my device to my laptop, xcode - organizer gives me an error msg regarding my device..
:mad:

That error message says to reboot the device. If you had rebooted the device, you probably wouldn't be getting them anymore. Should that not work, you can restart the computer AND the device.

GCC errors would have nothing to do with codesigning, just your code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.