Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
India
I have a XP machine running internet using ethernet cable. Went through the whole process of activating ICS on the ethernet network, creating a new ad-hoc network. The thing is after this, I am not able to find the new network either from my macbook or my iphone.

What might be the problem? any suggestions?

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I have a XP machine running internet using ethernet cable. Went through the whole process of activating ICS on the ethernet network, creating a new ad-hoc network. The thing is after this, I am not able to find the new network either from my macbook or my iphone.

What might be the problem? any suggestions?

Are you trying to make it so that your Mac connects to the internet wirelessly via this computer?

Please further explain.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
India
no problem anymore.. got it solved... had manually assigned an ip address to the wireless adapter on my windows machine. As mac addressing system is different, it didnt work... working great now.. But there is still the issue of my macbook not detecting my ethernet cable at all

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
no problem anymore.. got it solved... had manually assigned an ip address to the wireless adapter on my windows machine. As mac addressing system is different, it didnt work... working great now.. But there is still the issue of my macbook not detecting my ethernet cable at all

Try with another cable. I have a couple cables that don't work with my macbook but are fine on other machines.

lkmdw

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
AdHoc Mac and Win XP

Are you trying to make it so that your Mac connects to the internet wirelessly via this computer?

Please further explain.

Hello, I'm trying to make MacBook connects to the internet wirelessly via my Win XP Desktop. The desktop use LAN cable to connect to internet. I set up an adhoc connection with wireless card in my desktop and disable any encryption to make it easier for the first step, but the MacBook can't detect the signal from desktop (at the same time, the MacBook can detect wireless signal of other router). Is there any setting that I have to modify before Mac can read the adhoc signal from Win XP desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.