Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'm dabbling in moveable type because it seems like a great way to design and maintain a blog. I'm almost done, but there are a couple lingering issues.

In IE (more of an issue on windows computers), the blog spans more than the width of the window so users have to scroll to access the entire page. I think this is due to the entry section being set to 100% of the width and the links section pushing it over, but I can't seem to make it go away.

As I was troubleshooting this, an issue came up in safari. The entries don't span the entire page, as if they are in a table that is too small.

The site is http://www.patrickluckow.com/phatpat

Thanks for any help you can offer.

fugeelama

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2002
I know how you feel, I had a crazy time getting my CSS to work in IE and Safari. As it is, it still doesn't work just right, but I'm willing to live with the small inconvenience of it looking slightly different on a PC...

Some snippets of your problematic code would help too :)

fugeelama

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2002
Ok, I'm editing cause I think I figured it out... Your content includes a table set to 100% the width of the page, however your left margin is set to 231 pixels. It's rendering at a combination of the two, so just set the margin to something else! If you're designing for more than one screen resolution, remember that absolute positions aren't always the best way to go...

PS: CSS does wonderful things, like slimming down on the amount of excess code you use. You could get rid of that table entirely!

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I ended up putting the links and blog section in two different cells of a table. Not as elegant, but it will work until I have a better understanding of css, or until ie offers better css support.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by Phatpat
I ended up putting the links and blog section in two different cells of a table. Not as elegant, but it will work until I have a better understanding of css, or until ie offers better css support.

wishful thinking! i gave up waiting and forced my CSS to work by getting a little creative with it...

there are little voice-family hacks that force windows IE to behave... depending on the situation: such as my site having the main content stay centered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.