PDA

View Full Version : Record player to computer???

Macmaniac
May 20, 2002, 10:55 AM
My mom has some classic records, Beetles White Album, Jimi Hendrix, and others. I am wondering of there is a way to record them onto my computer. I have an iMac so it has to be USB or Firewire. Is there a cable that I can hook up to the output jacks that will send the sound to my computer? What kind of software would be good for this?(something cheap)

Hemingray
May 20, 2002, 11:08 AM
Your iMac doesn't have a mic input? Bummer... I use my good ol' PowerMac 8500 with AV RCA in/out and connect that directly from my record player's amplifier to the computer. I then record the song using SimpleSound (in OS 9) set for CD quality. Then I use Spin Doctor, an excellent old program that was bundled with Toast Deluxe 4. It eliminates the hiss and pop.

Personally, I don't see why you don't just go and buy the White Album on CD... I have both the LP and the CD set and I guarantee you the CD is 10 times better.

Macmaniac
May 20, 2002, 06:25 PM
I know I can buy it, she has hundreds of other records that I want to import. I don't want to spend a fortune for hard to find CDs. Looks like I have some hunting to do.

Macmaniac
May 20, 2002, 06:27 PM
Oh I just realized I do have a mic in port. What kind of cable do I need? It is only one port.

blackpeter
May 20, 2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Oh I just realized I do have a mic in port. What kind of cable do I need? It is only one port.

RCA to MiniJack I presume. Check your player's outputs and consult the good people at RadioShack.

Just make sure to give them a fake home address and phone number. I hate it when they ask for that stuff. Snail-mail, tele-marketer spammers!

Hemingray
May 20, 2002, 06:35 PM
What is your record player plugged into? Is it an all-in-one unit complete with the amp or is there a separate amp? Either way, if there's a headphone jack out of the amp, most likely a 1/4", just go to Radio Shack and get a 1/4" stereo male to 1/8" stereo male cord/adapter. Then hook it up to your comp and record a sound in SimpleSound in OS 9. Set your input source to sound input and turn on the sound output in your sounds preferences so you can hear the music as it plays through your computer so you can make sure it's not clipping.

I only do that for songs I know I can't get on CD... (most recent example: John Fogerty's Blue Ridge Rangers single from 1973: "You Don't Owe Me" b/w "Back In The Hills" was the only BRR single released after the Blue Ridge Rangers album.)