Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Springer23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Just downloaded this app, works with aim, msn yahoo, everything!! can log in to all ya accounts at once!!!

Works really well, really smooth, msn works really well!!

And its free :)!!!

Anyone else think this is good?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm not really a "chat" guy, but I'm already using the chat on the Facebook app a LOT, where I don't normally use it on regular Facebook. There's something about IM'ing on the iPhone that's just so much fun.

So I figured I might give an all-in-one chat program like Parlingo a try, and perhaps finally use all my long-dormant IM accounts I have.

Well....

.......fastest download I ever deleted, I think. This app just screams "wrong" to me. I kind of wish I hadn't tried setting up as many accounts as I did (many of which didn't seem to work anyway) -- something just feels fishy about it.

I'll give MobileChat a try, when it comes out -- if there's a enough decent reviews about it. But if not, my flirting with IM's on the iPhone is over...

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Haven't had a good experience with it. Tried two different screen names and neither would let me sign in. Oh well, still waiting for iChat if it ever comes.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Haven't had a good experience with it. Tried two different screen names and neither would let me sign in. Oh well, still waiting for iChat if it ever comes.

It most likely never will, but wait on we shall !

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
hmm i don't get why people are so upset over it. i tried my msn, google etc and it works. it's nice that i can finally chat with everyone without using a webapp. best part is you can lock the phone but it sits idle still receiving your messages (obviously eating battery too). Also they created a way to send pix from the phone to the person you're IM'ing.

footnote - when i said "upset" i don't mean people in macrumors. i'm referring to the iTunes people reviewing the app.

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
I'm already using the chat on the Facebook app a LOT

You know what. I too have been using the Facebook Chat Function in their iPhone App. I find it more in use then the AIM App. Any reason why you think this may be so?

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I agree, Palringo Messenger for iPhone rocks - Even more so, it's FREE. :cool:

Sure, its a bit rough round the edges ... but isn't that the case with every 1.0 app?

- Needs ability to change font style and size.
- Needs ability to alert user even after app is closed (September - Apple's Push Notification Service)
- Needs ability to sign out of a single account
- Needs ability to change display photo
- Needs ability to send voice clips

R-Fly

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
i dont rlly like it it takes like 5 min 2 long into just my aim and arlingo account, I'm gunna get the mobile chat app when comes out but for now im using the aim app

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I don't get all the hate on this app, sure at launch they had some server related hiccups but they quickly recovered and yes it is annoying they make you sign up for a Palringo account but hey the beloved Meebo makes you do that if you want to sign in to multiple accounts at once so why all the drama?

Admittedly it is a bit of a pain to setup new accounts especially if you get your password wrong but once it is all setup then it works quite nicely, albeit missing some features that are listed above by another poster.

Ouhei

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
This is better than the AIM app as far as I'm concerned. Though I think all the IM apps are essentially useless until the push servers come up.

Multiple IM client support = better than the AIM app.

I wish the Adium guys would come out with one, but they aren't going to.

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
This app also needs the ability to stay connected to their server after you close the app. With AIM atleast you stay on for 10-15 allowing time to do other things and still receive messages. Push Notification does not fix this as it is a server side issue and nothing to do with Apple.

schatzie

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I also agree that this is a good app. I installed it and tried it for the past few days. Sure there's room for improvement. But like the poster above said, it sure beats a web app.

So far I don't have a problem logging in. Most of the time, it logs in almost instantly for me. Sure it can be improved. But for now, I'm just happy that I'm able to chat using my Yahoo account.

rball1979

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
This may be a silly question but how do you set it up for MSN etc?? I can't seem to figure it out! All I get is the Palringo messenger!!

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
This is better than the AIM app as far as I'm concerned. Though I think all the IM apps are essentially useless until the push servers come up.

Multiple IM client support = better than the AIM app.

I wish the Adium guys would come out with one, but they aren't going to.

You might see some of the better Mac applications if someone finds a way to reconcile the GPL's requirements with the App Store policies.

The seemingly largest hurdle for now is the (unnecessary) draconian NDA.

schatzie

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
This may be a silly question but how do you set it up for MSN etc?? I can't seem to figure it out! All I get is the Palringo messenger!!

I don't have an MSN account, but to add my Yahoo, I clicked on the P on top, clicked on Edit, clicked on +, and then it gives me a list of services I can add.

Also, don't forget, after you installed it, under Settings, way on the bottom is settings for Palringo. I found this out by accident when I was scrolling down the settings list.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You might see some of the better Mac applications if someone finds a way to reconcile the GPL's requirements with the App Store policies.

The seemingly largest hurdle for now is the (unnecessary) draconian NDA.

Let me get this straight... The NDA doesn't allow people to release the source to their applications? Is this because of included API's? It doesn't contain any Apple IP does it? Or when you submit to Apple do you lose ownership?

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Let me get this straight... The NDA doesn't allow people to release the source to their applications? Is this because of included API's? It doesn't contain any Apple IP does it? Or when you submit to Apple do you lose ownership?

You don't lose ownership, as such, but the NDA must be followed.

The NDA, atm, is covering a huge area of policy for Apple which doesn't condone the source of any application to be shared publicly, outside of Apple and the developer.

This is how I understand it.

I don't exactly know the reason why, but as a developer in the program, I am not allowed to divulge any more information :/

Yes, it's because of the API's.

R-Fly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.