Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Was wondering if someone can help me out with this.

I will have a mac mini in the living room downstairs acting as my PVR, music server, hooked up to my TV using a Dinovo Mini as my user input.
However I would like access to use it from my upstairs office which has a monitor, keyboard, and mouse without disturbing whatever is going on on the TV downstairs. I don't want a streaming video of the desktop, just the actual desktop.
Any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Are you talking about literally using your Mini...or just accessing its files?

Because if you literally want to use it...I'd recommend using a VNC client. That or you can string cables...but that'll be costly, whereas using a VNC client is free.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I would like access to use it from my upstairs office which has a monitor, keyboard, and mouse without disturbing whatever is going on on the TV downstairs.

Is another computer included with that monitor, keyboard, and mouse in the office?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The OP is talking about the Mini being the only computer in the equation

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is you MAY be able to set up a KVM (keyboard.video.mouse) switch and physically run cables upstairs to keyboard and monitor BUT the reliability of this drops dramatically with distance and the KVM and cables will be expensive (not to mention fishing huge-@$$ cables through holes in the walls and floor. There are some specialized KVM extender systems that use CAT5 wiring, but we are talking about more money than a second Mini.

Then, you are expecting to multitask on the Mini while not affecting video recording/playback. Not going to happen without glitches or unacceptable performance.

Best bet - get another Mini for upstairs, and hook the two together by Ethernet cable so you can transfer files, share the Internet connection and occasionally do remote desktop control of the other machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.