Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I just picked up an imac G3 system, its kind of a bluish green. has os8.6 and i would like to install Linux on it, can anyone help me with this? im certain if i can get the system to boot from the disc i can handle the rest myself, i have tried holding down C when starting and had no luck.

Bakin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Sorry, i wasnt very clear, i want to know how to install over os 8.6

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Did you download the PPC version of Ubuntu?
the new version does not work on well G3. 6.06 is the last officially supported version. I got 7.04 to work on mine, 7.10 is available here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.10/release/

It is a little hidden on the ubuntu site.

Do you have access to a mac os disk? so you can wipe the drive before you try to install Ubuntu? work better that way.

I installed it on my bondi blue imac and it ran for two more years as an awesome machine.

Bakin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Did you download the PPC version of Ubuntu?
the new version does not work on well G3. 6.06 is the last officially supported version. I got 7.04 to work on mine, 7.10 is available here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.10/release/

It is a little hidden on the ubuntu site.

Do you have access to a mac os disk? so you can wipe the drive before you try to install Ubuntu? work better that way.

I installed it on my bondi blue imac and it ran for two more years as an awesome machine.

Yes i have PPC and No i dont have an OS disc. do you know how i would go about making the imac boot from disc?

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
If I recall what I did last time
I ust put the live disk in after system booted into OS 9 and then double clicked on the ubuntu disk installed from there.

It did not want to boot from disk until I burned the CD in toast on my G5 imac, did not like the disk from the MBP.

The bondi blue imac finally gave out about three months back so I cannot test it now.
You might have better luck on the ubuntu forums

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I just picked up an imac G3 system, its kind of a bluish green. has os8.6 and i would like to install Linux on it, can anyone help me with this? im certain if i can get the system to boot from the disc i can handle the rest myself, i have tried holding down C when starting and had no luck.

quite honestly, i dont know if you could even do that...

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I know its possible. But I think you are stuck with an older distribution. Yellow Dog Linux dropped support for that cpu, I think a few others did too. Google YDL, they still have the older version you need + instructions to get you going.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Are you dead set on linux??? Reason I ask is that I had a G3 iMac that I gave to my friend, it has Mac OS X 10.3 and that iMac works great, and it runs 10.3 without any problems. You can pick 10.3 on eBay for a vary reasonable price now and days.

-iGrant

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I have an Rev B iMac running Ubuntu, and it works well enough for a home webserver and some light browsing and OpenOffice duties. If I were you I wouldn't attempt to install anything newer than 7.10.
If you're having trouble booting from the install CD holding down 'C', you might want to re-burn the CD at a slower speed. The G3 iMac's CD ROM is a bit finicky. Also, the install will take a while and will require a few "tweaks" to get everything working. There are a few helpful threads in the Ubuntu forums about installing on that model iMac. Google is your friend.
I wouldn't try any version of OS X on a G3 iMac. It's really painful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.