Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessie T.B.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I've found a replacement online for my blown iMac speaker (woofer), but I can't get the cover off. I don't want to break the plastic. How do I get it off? Thanks.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
I've found a replacement online for my blown iMac speaker (woofer), but I can't get the cover off. I don't want to break the plastic. How do I get it off? Thanks.

ok for starters, i don't even think that you can remove the case from an imac without voiding warrantee. secondly, i wouldn't suggest opening an imac. what you should do is go to radio shack or such and buy a set of speakers with a woofer and attach that to the audio out on the imac. youd probably get better sound too.

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
I'd recommend just buying a set of external speakers. You'll get vastly superior sound for a lot less hassle.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I have to agree with the others about external speakers being a good choice.

That said, if you are really deadset on opening the iMac yourself you will need to be a bit more specific as to which machine it is. There have been 10 years of iMac revisions and the method of disassembly varies.

Where did you get the replacement speaker? If it is specifically a replacement part for the broken one did it not come with any instructions for installation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.