Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daFizzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Hi - I'll preface this by saying that I am not much of a Mac person. My ladypal has an iBook G4 running, wait for it, 10.3. She has complained that it is painfully slow on our home network, which I've finally gotten around to confirming.

The network monitor in 10.3 claims that the link is being made at 54mbps. It also looks like the most I can get to pour into the machine from a streaming source via wifi is 40k/s, with the average being more like 10k/s. I have not tested uploads using FTP or what have you but the performance initially looks even worse. Increasing the proximity to the router actually does not seem to improve performance at all.

Thanks to being a professor on an "Apple digital campus," I actually *do* have a second-gen Macbook Pro still running 10.4. It also is pretty pathetic in terms of wifi performance, and very sensitive to router proximity, but it is nowhere near this bad.

All the other laptops and wireless-enabled desktops I have in the house (a couple of older Fujitsus, a recent Thinkpad R61, an EEE Pc, etc., running a mix of XP and Ubuntu Hardy) are able to utilize the full speed of the network anywhere in the house.

We use WEP encryption on an old D-Link router here.

Any help or suggestions? She's thinking about just selling this thing and buying an EEE with the proceeds, but I'd kind of prefer to avoid the overseas-scammer obstacle course that is selling laptops on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.