Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrowl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
On iPhone, has anyone seen that their contact names appear, but the detailed info (numbers, email, etc) is gone today?

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
On iPhone, has anyone seen that their contact names appear, but the detailed info (numbers, email, etc) is gone today?

Congrats on getting the names. Many of us aren't even getting those! Many people are experiencing a loss of contacts, calendars and email today.

mrowl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
Congrats on getting the names. Many of us aren't even getting those! Many people are experiencing a loss of contacts, calendars and email today.

well, mail works fine, and the calendar works fine... its just the contacts that are jacked. Now, I can't get any contacts to appear.

jarrodtb

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
happened to me too...

my address book contacts were intact luckily... so i archived them, then tried to sync my now contactless iphone to itunes. it worked and I had my contacts back... when i turned the mobileme syncing back on for my iphone all my contacts disappeared, but within 30 or so seconds came back like nothing every happened.

moral - back-up ical and address book more often. :-/

Good luck!

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
This happened to me and

This happened to me and I put the stupid phone down... Then,
Took my wife to dinner, watched some tv... Picked it back up and all contacts were there.

Try it! Put the stupid phone down! Maybe even turn the stupid phone off!
ENJOY LIFE!

mrowl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
looks like it is working now...

I turned the contact syncing off, then back on, went to contacts, and it started syncing. Was done in about 10 seconds.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
There must be another major problem at Apple today with the MobileMe service.

I've lost all the contacts on my phone. There are multiple threads of many people with the same problem today.

Aaaarrrrhhhhhgggg! I need contacts on my phone.

And, to add insult to injury? Me.com is not available for viewing on my iPhone? So, I figured sine Apple erased my contact information on my phone, I could at least get to it by pulling up me.com and seeing my contacts there. But, you can't utilize me.com on the phone.

That's ridiculous.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
What the hell is going on! A call comes in from my wife, her number is shown on the caller id as opposed to her name and pic. So I check my contacts and all the names are there but no phone #'s. I go to my favorites and there is a list of just phone #'s but no names. I'm freaking out thinking that I lost everything. Then I went into my prefs and turned off mobileme contacts sync and turned it back on. Nothing. So I did a hard reset then everything is normal again. This is so unacceptable. I don't remember any other phone doing this to me in the past.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
My solution is to have MobileMe turned off on iPhone whenever I am away from my computers. In this way, MM can't delete my vital information.

When I am near my computers, and MM deletes my iPhone information, I can always manually sync the data using either my desktop or laptop.

Is this acceptable? No. MobileMe may be the most destructive software package ever created. But, in theory, it can be a very useful way to keep multiple computers synced with your iPhone.

I've been an Apple customer since 1982, and MobileMe is the worst product launch I've ever seen. I hope those who worked on this project will have long and successful careers . . . at another company other than Apple.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
My solution is to have MobileMe turned off on iPhone whenever I am away from my computers. In this way, MM can't delete my vital information.

When I am near my computers, and MM deletes my iPhone information, I can always manually sync the data using either my desktop or laptop.

Is this acceptable? No. MobileMe may be the most destructive software package ever created. But, in theory, it can be a very useful way to keep multiple computers synced with your iPhone.

I've been an Apple customer since 1982, and MobileMe is the worst product launch I've ever seen. I hope those who worked on this project will have long and successful careers . . . at another company other than Apple.

I have not lost any data yet but because all of the reported problems I have been running my MobileMe Preferences in Manual Mode. Whenever I change my Calendar or Contacts (does not happen that often) I then do a Manual Sync. I guess I don't want it running every 15 min with nothing to Sync and then it has a problem connecting to the Servers and decides all my stuff needs to be deleted or "whatever" is going on.

I fully expect this to be resolved at some point and I feel this is the safe way to preceed for the next 60 days of my trial. I am a Windows user and would probably never get a Mac. But I love my iPhone and I really want OTA Sync of Mail, Calendar and Contacts for both myself and my wife. I have looked into Exchange but I think this might be the least expensive for a family plan and "maybe" will use less battery (that is what I heard from someone else). Anyway, that is my reason for hanging in there with it.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
You know I think the easiest way to resolve this would be through a software update.

There should be something that prevents MM or anything else from scrubbing all data from either contacts or calendar or mail without the approval of the owner.

You know when you manually sync your data it asks if you want to merge or overwrite the data.

The software should know that adding a contact or two is acceptable, but completely scrubbing the data requires the approval of the owner.

Just my two cents -- and I am not a programmer so . . .

But for now, MM is a no-go. It's not OK for me to be told now that it works. I need to see three to six months of no problems before I trust my data to Apple again. The complete loss of phone contacts or calendar events could cost me too much money -- and my company too much money to trust my data to Apple right now.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
You know I think the easiest way to resolve this would be through a software update.

There should be something that prevents MM or anything else from scrubbing all data from either contacts or calendar or mail without the approval of the owner.

You know when you manually sync your data it asks if you want to merge or overwrite the data.

The software should know that adding a contact or two is acceptable, but completely scrubbing the data requires the approval of the owner.

Just my two cents -- and I am not a programmer so . . .

But for now, MM is a no-go. It's not OK for me to be told now that it works. I need to see three to six months of no problems before I trust my data to Apple again. The complete loss of phone contacts or calendar events could cost me too much money -- and my company too much money to trust my data to Apple right now.

At the bottom of MobileMe Preferences "Sync" it says to WARN if more then 5% (you can set this) of the Computers Data will change. Do you have this checked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.