Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
admittably, I dont know a lot about iPods or Macs but I thought that I'd be able to hook my dad's iPod up to my mac, and be able to play the songs from there? And possibly delete songs? Upon plugging it in, it asked if I wanted to "erase and sync" which, obviously, I didn't, or if I wanted to import allowed songs to my iTunes, which I didnt, so I clicked "cancel" and the iPod basically disappeared from the computer like it wasn't even plugged in...
is it not possible to play an iPod when you plug it into a computer (I know the older versions of iTunes had no problem doing this...) I'm not looking to add songs, just play, rearrange, make play lists, all within the iPod...

Also, my parents PC just crashed and they are going to buy a MacBook- their music is only "saved" on the iPod- will they be able to put the music on their macBook from the iPod?

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If you want to play music from your iPod on a Mac, then you have to check "Manually Manage Music" in the settings. I don't know why it disappeared like that, I've never had that problem (but I'm using Windows, so maybe it's a OS X thing...but I severely doubt that).
Yes, it is possible to rip music from an iPod onto iTunes, I believe Senuti will do this without a problem (Senuti is Mac-only, so keep that in mind).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.