Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Apple needs to make some changes to the review system in the Apple Store. First of all they need to dedicate some staff to manage the entire system. Then they need "report" functionality, much like we have here on MacRumors. When you find a spam post, you can report a review that would be in violation.

What would violations consist of? Besides any basic reasons like vulgarity, spamming, advertising etc, violations would also occur if your review gives no indication or evidence that you actually downloaded and used the product. Just typing a review that a product is too expensive or should cost less would be a prime example.

Upon a violation being determined the person would be banned from submitting any reviews for 30 days. After 30 days a second violation would get them banned forever.

As it stands right now the review system is ridiculous. Half the reviews for most apps are made up of people who complain about any app that costs more than 99 cents. The other half are people who complain the apps are not free. I want reviews to come from people who have actually used the product. Does that mean some guinea pigs sure? But there are always going to be people who take the chance, and those are the people I want to hear from.

What concerns me now is the current system is going to scare developers off of making applications because of the stupid reviews, especially the price ones.

i really think they need to clean up the review process, and as soon as possible.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The system is problematic, though your comments would be well suited in one of the already existing threads, not a new one, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.