Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I'm getting a macbook this weekend (before school starts) 'n im really excited cuz its my first laptop. I've heard that the montevina macbook will be release at the end of september and i dont want to wait that long so i was just wondering will the update be worth waiting? i mean a .2 ghz speed bump, maybe aluminum casing and some other not-sure updates are worth waiting?

Natsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
hmm... i dont really care about the new design... unless if its like a major major design change. thanks for posting anyways :)

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The wait wasn't for me and I got the White 13" 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM. The difference between the two white MacBooks are

White 13"
2.1GHz
1GB of RAM
120GB HD

Next one is
White 13"
2.4GHz
2GB of RAM
160GB HD

They also have different disc drives which might affect what you are doing. The first one only has DVD-ROM and the next upgrade up gives you the ability to write DVDs which is the big difference in disc drives.

So you are paying an extra $300 ($999 for low and $1,200 for the upgrade) for a better disc drive, 1GB more of RAM, 40GB more on the HDD and .3GHz faster. I thought it was worth it and went for it. My laptop runs smoothly and amazing.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the question. I don't think the update will be too big and not worth it. So I got mine now.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
It might not come out when expected, but maybe hold off on buying it until a little closer to school - squeeze out a little bit extra from Applecare. But I guess it doesn't really matter if you are waiting a week or two.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
hmm... i dont really care about the new design... unless if its like a major major design change. thanks for posting anyways :)
I would consider completely redecking out the product in Aluminium and styling it after the Air and the iMac, quite a major design change :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.