Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
Where are you guys getting the icons your apps use? Reason I ask is when it comes to graphics design... I make a great fry cook.. if you know what I mean... I've seen some 'on the net' but for a commercial software product... using 'stuff' you found isn't really the right way to play.

Is there a 'starving icon artists' website or forum I can go to?? :D

I don't mind paying someone for their talent (within reason) but for an app I'm likely to make 0 on (or very little) I couldn't / wouldn't pay too much...

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd really like to hear what you guys are doing...

Dave

slycrel

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I was in your boat a few weeks ago. I didn't have anyone else to do it for me and I didn't know the first thing about graphic design. So, I decided I would treat it like programming, grab some examples, educate myself, and then try it out.

It's not as hard as I imagined. =)

Drawing something from scratch is the tough part. I'm no artist. But taking existing images and tweaking them to get something that I like wasn't bad at all.

You can also ask around, usually there's someone you know in real life who is artistic, they could do some basic things for you adn then you could polish it off.

Best of luck.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
I was in your boat a few weeks ago. I didn't have anyone else to do it for me and I didn't know the first thing about graphic design. So, I decided I would treat it like programming, grab some examples, educate myself, and then try it out.

It's not as hard as I imagined. =)

Drawing something from scratch is the tough part. I'm no artist. But taking existing images and tweaking them to get something that I like wasn't bad at all.

You can also ask around, usually there's someone you know in real life who is artistic, they could do some basic things for you adn then you could polish it off.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure you read the part where I said as far as graphics designs go I make a REALLY GREAT short order cook... :lol:

Kidding aside, thanks for the idea... Maybe I will make a go of it... You might be right I just surprise myself...

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
I used the "friend network" to find an artist (ask a friend if they know someone reasonably talented with photoshop). Another option is to go to your local community college and ask the graphics arts teacher if there are any promising students who might be interested in making a couple of hundred dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.