Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I just updated all the apps in my itunes and synced, then later that day it said I had 3 updates available on the iPhone itself. I went to itunes and clicked 'check for updates', and there were no available updates!! I waited a couple days and still no available updates, but on my iPhone they're waiting to be downloaded. I hate downloading updates on my iPhone and only want to do it via iTunes and sync them over!

Is there anyway to do this, or is something wrong with the app store updating system?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
it sounds like your iPhone is holding onto the old app versions, and iTunes has the new ones. Try removing those apps and resyncing them from iTunes.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
it sounds like your iPhone is holding onto the old app versions, and iTunes has the new ones. Try removing those apps and resyncing them from iTunes.

Nope iPhone shows BoxOffice 1.1
itunes shows boxoffice 1.0 and says there's no updates!

etc.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Yes. You'd think that itunes and iphone would be accessing the same apps database but it almost seems as if they are accessing different databases. For some period of time after an app is released, it may show up on one but not the other. It is strange. I just waited a few hours and then all was well.

I've also noticed that an app update may be announced, but the new file hasn't replaced the old one yet. This happened over the weekend with phonesaber and mobile news. I tried everything I could think of to force the new version to download, but always got the old version. Again, waiting a while and coming back solved the problem. Seems like the display screens in iTMS are updated before the executables are updated, which causes this synchronization problem.

mlkeller

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Kirkland, WA
See if this matches what you all are seeing - it almost seems like iTunes only sees updates for apps purchased/downloaded through iTunes, and the phone only sees the updates for apps purchased/downloaded on the phone. I haven't been watching closely, but I think that may be the pattern I'm seeing...

wok

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
See if this matches what you all are seeing - it almost seems like iTunes only sees updates for apps purchased/downloaded through iTunes, and the phone only sees the updates for apps purchased/downloaded on the phone. I haven't been watching closely, but I think that may be the pattern I'm seeing...

Hmm, this actually sounds about right to me. I hardly ever get app update notifications on the phone itself since I grabbed most of the apps on my desktop. However, iTunes keeps telling me that I need to update 15 apps or something, even though most of them don't actually have updates available. It's very very strange. Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I've never downloaded an App on the iPhone App Store, and my phone showed 16 updates, after iTunes showed zero updates and my phone was just synced.

I don't think iTunes is transferring the updated apps. I'm afraid of updating them on my phone since every time I have tried my phone freezes on me.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

I've noticed something similar but I think what happens is that iTunes get's all out of whack with updates when you download an application on your phone and add it to iTunes with a sync in that somehow the array (well hash to be technical) of id's to names stored within iTunes gets messed up and it thinks there are updates to apps in a certain position but that is the wrong app.

Like for me it frequently tells me apps like MySpace have an update to version 1.0 where really it is one of the other apps that have an update. It is very odd to say the least and I haven't been able to work out any particular pattern to it.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Wtf??

Strange happenings for updates.

Attachments

• Snapz Pro XScreenCapture001.jpg
    Snapz Pro XScreenCapture001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.