Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dean123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
What are the most effective and most popular e-commerce tools? I think the shopping cart kind of scares people away but it actually works and opens the possibility of buying something when browsing. I also think that probably advertising in every available site is not that positive for any product.

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
Well shopping carts are a bit of a must when it comes to online shopping, unless you are selling a single product with an instant checkout. And yes, advertising everywhere isn't a great idea. You need to be focused and methodical in your approach to marketing.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i was going to say.. who is scared of shopping carts that is trying to make an e-commerce store.. thats like a clown being scared of clowns..

I have to say, i use oscommerce shopping cart for my e-commerce store (still in developement) and i seriously LOVE the coding, the community, and the addons.

you can do SOOO much with that cart that it realy did amaze me, and considering i do not know much about php AT ALL and i have been able to fully configure my cart, its pretty easy to understand..

I didnt even know what SERVER SIDE meant

Kaliemon

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
If you want something thats already developed I recommend Magento its relatively new on the scene, but has already gained a huge following.

On the other hand, if you want to develop your own e-commerce solution, maybe have a regular website as well as a store section that fully integrates with the site, WebAssist eCart or their ecommerce suite is great, its not open-source though.

Another possibility would be to use a CMS like Drupal and their ecommerce plugins (ubercart is the best). The site http://www.forexnewsandviews.com uses that solution, if you want to see an example.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Shopify looks good on their site, the only drawback is you cant call them and ask them anything.

Try Volusion.com, let have won numerous awards and are excellent. They have customer service to help you through all aspects of it. They have a full CRM with great marketing tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.