Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kablammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I use a dingbat font called "bugbats", a truetype font that I used on my PC. Once I switched to mac and ran tiger it worked fine. However, it doesn't work on my new imac that is running leopard. I ran it through font doctor and fontxchange -- no luck.

Any ideas? I use the font heavily in my design work. Thanks.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
The font could be corrupt.

If you haven't sone so already, I'd suggest searching to see if it's available in OpenType format. (I somehow doubt it since you're asking this question.)

Delete the font, and re download/purchase it from where you got it. If it's a free font, a lot of times you're getting what you paid for. Many (not all) free fonts are very poorly crafted. That may explain the compatibility issues with Leopard. Or it may simply be corrupt, and a reinstall of the font will solve your problems.

Another (rather convoluted) option would be to find a computer where the font works. Using either InDesign or Illustrator (or some sort of vector-editor), type the characters you need in a new document, convert them to outlines, and save them to use on your Mac as an EPS.

Last resort - if none of the above work, consider finding a new dingbat font.

kablammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks -- good advice. Yes, it's a 9-year-old free font. I did tweak it and fuss with it enough and finally got it to work.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.